Midnight Memories

Midnight Memories

Her jaw dropped, could this be Mr. Lee’s grandson ? She looked at the old man, confusion clearly written in her eyes. Then she turned her head again and looked at the man standing infront of her, she scanned him for a minute. He was wearing a plain white v-neck shirt topped with a black leather jacket, his pants were faded denims and  paired with black rubber shoes. ‘He is handsome though’ she thought. But there is something in his eyes that she cant quite fathom. It was empty.

“Done ? You can take a picture if you want, it lasts longer” he said.

She blushed, the man did not fail to notice the added color on the young lady’s face. He smirked, clearly enjoying her distress.

“Why y-“ she was about to say something when the old man grabbed her by the shoulder, she looked at him and he motioned for her to stand up. She stood up immediately and fixed her wrinkled dress.

“JooHyun, meet my grandson – Luhan” the old man said.

Luhan held his hand out for her, she just looked at him – clearly not wanting to ‘touch’ the brute who embarassed her.

He waved his hands infront of her “You’re supposed to take my hand and shake it. Didn’t they teach you this in school?” he said with sarcasm, he was toying her.

‘Ugh ! The nerve of this man’ she was furious. Nobody had ever treated her this way, she was uasually a calm and tolerant person but this man just infuriates her. She breathed out, she’s not gonna let him win and see her crumble. She smiled, her brightest and fakest smile and took his hands.

He squeezed her hand tightly – she cringed. She tried to take her hand but he wouldn’t let go. He raised his eyebrows and eyed her from head to toe, for a moment she felt conscious of herself. She must have looked awful, she havent had the time to fix herself with all the commotion that had happened to her that day. Her hair was disheveled, her floral printed dress was wrinkled and her face must be a huge mess right now.

He must have felt her anxiety, he looked at her and smirked “You look wonderful babe, perfect to be my bride” he said, then he lets go of her hand. He walked past her and went to the huge couch located in the middle of the library. He sat with his legs crossed and both arms placed at the armrest. He was still looking at her intently, his face now blank all the humor and sarcasm gone.

While she was left speechless ‘Perfect to be my bride’. The line was echoing inside her head. She blinked twice, finally able to think straight. “Who said im going to marry you?” she said and laced her tone with disdain. She crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows. She met his gaze, he had a beautiful pair of eyes but it seemed empty to her. She could see no emotion, no feeling at all.

The old man coughed and they both looked at him, he seemed to be enjoying the drama that is happening. “That is what im going to ask of you my dear” he said. “I need someone to take care of my grandson, im old, im not gonna to be here much longer.” he continued

“But his a full grown man! He can take care of himself.” she said then looked at the man sitting infront of her, he seemed calm despite the uproar that has been happening.

“I know that” the old man said while looking at Luhan. “ Luhan grew up to be a responsible man, he can take care of himself just fine. But what im asking of you is to look after him, he never had a mother to take care of him when he was young. I feel that i had deprived him of that.” he said.

“You could just hire a babysitter !”

“JooHyun, please listen to me” the old  man begged

She looked him then to Luhan – who was looking at her, as if waiting for her to breakdown at any moment. She was annoyed by his lack of actions. For God’s sake ! They were talking about marriage here. That is both sacred and special for her, she had always imagined herself to be wed to someone she loves and loves her back. Not to some arrogant brute she just met.

“No. Im sorry grandpa, what you’re asking is just too much.” she couldnt look at him, afraid that if she did she would give in. She loved and missed the old man but she just cant do it.

“JooHyun” the old man said, he tried to reach for her hand but Seoyhun stepped back.

“Im sorry, its late. My parents are probably worried. I have to go.” she lied, a single tear fell from her eyes, its heartbreaking for her to see him like this. She hurriedly walked out of the room, she have to leave as fast as she could.

She ran through the corridor, she was crying now – her visions were clouded. It was a huge mansion and she had no idea where she was heading, she just ran. She was wiping her tears when she bumped into something.

“Im sorry” the voice said, it was a man. He helped her get up “Are you okay?”

Her visions were still blurry from crying, she looked at him. She looked straight into a pair of curious deep brown orbs. She felt embarassed, she looked down and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. “Im sorry” that was all she can say.

The man laughed. “What are you sorry for ? It was me who literally knocked you to the ground” he reached for his pockets and took out a handkie. “Here” he offered it to her.

She hesitated but he grabbed her hand and gave it to her. “Thanks” she wiped her tears.

“Why were you running ? Did someone here hurt you ?” he sounded worried.

She looked at him and finally saw his face clearly.

“I – i  “she stummered

“Its okay, you can tell me” he reassured her. Somehow his presence made her feel at ease.

“I was – “

“Ms. Seo, i was looking all over for you. I was beginning to worry you got eaten by one of our men here”

She was cut off by Chanyeol, who was now walking towards them. “Thank you for assisting the milady, ill take it from here” he said to the man who helped her.

The man just nodded and smiled. “Always the gentleman Yeollie”

“Dont call me that!” Chanyeol barked, which made the latter laugh. Chanyeol just rolled his eyes. She was looking at the two tall gentlemen who was bickering infront of her.

“What the hell are you two doing ?” another man came into the scene, it was Kris. Unlike the two he was dead serious. “The car is waiting for you outside Ms. Seo” he said

“Oh, im sorry Ms Lets go ?” Chanyeol was now by her side.

She just nodded, she was exhausted and just wanted to get home with her parents.. She looked back at the man who helped her one last time. “Tha-thank you” she finally uttered the words.

He smiled and nodded “Your wecome “ - ‘Seo Joo Hyun’  he said to himself.

Chanyeol and Kris started to walk and she followed suit. When they reached the huge two way door, she could now see Tao standing beside the car waiting for her. She bid her goodbye’s and thanked the two butlers.

“It was nice meeting you Ms. Seo, i really hope this wont be the last” Chanyeol said

“Take care Ms. Seo” Kris added, she had never seen him smile not even once. And she may never have that chance.

She walked past the fountain and down the steps. When she reached the car Tao opened the door for her. “Let me take you home Ms. Seo. You look tired” he said. She was too tired to say anything, just nodded.

They were out of the private road and was now heading back to the city when she noticed she was still holding the handkerchief that the man had given her in the mansion. She looked at it and remembered his face, she smiled. It was then that she noticed that there was a name written on it. She read

 “ K.Jongin

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luhan just looked at the retreating back of the young lady, ‘she was crying’ he felt a tinge of guilt.

His grandfather looked at him with disappointment in his eyes. “You have to convince her yourself now Luhan. You have to marry her.” his grandfather said, with a tone of finality in his voice.

I have to marry her’ he said to himself. “Goddamn it !” he stood up and walked out of the room, she will marry him and he will make sure of that.