Midnight Memories

Midnight Memories

She was walking along the majestic han river one chilly evening, contemplating on the problem that lies upon her and her family. Their family is now bankrupt due to the betrayal of his own uncle. Her father Mr. Seo being too kind hearted had trusted his brother too much, not really seeing the hidden intentions of the latter. After they had lost the company, her father could not take the pressure and the pain  that his own beloved brother had caused him. He suffered a heart attack and is now confined in Seoul Medical Hospital. Her mother would not leave her father’s side, now she worries about her mother’s  health too. Being the only child her parents had never let her work, not even once. But she was raised well by her parents, so she grew up a proper and kind lady.

Her mind was wandering off elsewhere that she did not notice the shadow that had been trailing her. She was now on the deserted part of the river, then  she felt an eerie vibe coming from behind her, as if someone was watching her intently. She looked around there were no other people there except for her, she was scared. “ i shouldnt have come here alone” she was about to turn when someone grabbed her arm. “Ms. Seo JooHyun ?” the man wearing the black suit said, still holding her arm tightly. Her mind was panicking but she put on a brave face and tried to calm herself “y-yes ? that’s me” her voice was weak. The man let go of her and straightened himself up “Goodevening Ms, im sorry if i terrified you. My name is Tao and i will be your personal bodyguard from tonight onwards” he said with a straight face, not even blinking once ! She was quite confused at the moment, where did this ‘bodyguard’ came from ? did her mother sent him ? she doubt if her mother did, she was too occupied with her father’s condition and she had never had a bodyguard before even when she was just a kid. Now would not be the best time to hire one too, the expense of hiring a bodyguard will only add to their problem. The confusion was clearly seen on her face, was agape. The man, Tao sighed “i know your kind of confused and worried as to who i am, but i cant explain it to you now. My master wishes to see you and he will explain everything to you himself” he said, still with that poker face on, she wondered if this guy even know how to smile. Okay, now she’s scared, ‘master’ ? What if this guy’s crazy and brings her to a dark alley somewhere and kills her. “ I cant meet your master. Look, Tao ? my father is in the hospital right now and i need to be back there by 11 or else they will send a search team for me” she said hoping she scared him off. But the man stood still without even flinching, claerly not scared of what she just said. “that’s what my master would like to disscuss with you, he’s willing to help you with your current ‘situation’ now” he was clearly bored of the conversation. She stepped back from him “Help us ? How did you know ? Who is your master anyway ? and why is he willing to help us ?” She was really curious why this ‘master’ would offer her help. She knows she shouldnt trust this man or this master that he says will help her but she has no choice, her parents need her and she’s willing to do ANYTHING for them. “alright, ill come with you” she said after a while. “Okay then, lets go Ms Seo. Please follow me” she was then guided to a limousine parked at side of the road. Tao opened the car door to the passengers seat, she looked at him and uttered a thank you, he just nodded his head in return. When she was inside, she then felt nervous. Her parents have always told her not to trust strangers, but she had now learned that even your closest and trusted ally can betray you. And there’s something about this ‘bodygurad’ of hers, though he looks rude and serious she feels as though she can trust him. But whichever it is, theres no turning back now. She’ll find a way to help her parents even if it means making a deal with the devil himself.