Midnight Memories

Midnight Memories

She felt chills run her spine. What kind of favor would he ask her ?

She let out a breath “What is it ?” she said after a while.

The old man blinked twice, he seemed unsure of himself. she had never seen him like this, he was always so confident and outspoken. “Let me finish my story first” he said. “After looking through all the adoption centers and orphanage in the whole South Korea, i had found him. In the most unlikely place i expected him to be – in Jail. Aparently he was sent to prison to stay for the night as punishment for destroying a private property in a subdivision in Gangnam. He was still a minor back then so they couldnt lock him up permanently.” his eyes was twinkling.

“What could possibly be so good about finding your grandson in jail ? and destroying a private property ?! “ she thought to herself, she let out a sigh

“I bailed him out of jail, and fed him. I explained everything to him but he refuses to go with me. He said that he has no need for a family now, the streets is where he belongs” he said

“The streets?” her eyebrows again are furrowed, who could possibly reject the comfort that a home and a family can offer ? she thought.

“Yes, but eventually with much persuation i had made him agree to live with me here” he said, he was now his cheerful self. The old man that she used to know and had loved dearly.

“Well im glad to hear that “ she said, really glad that after all that he had been through everything is finally falling into place for the old man.

“But amongst the 12 men that i have adopted, my grandson still is hard headed and a pain in the ! Oh, please forgive my language child” he said and chuckled. “He had spent his entire childhood in the streets and had been used to the kind of living they had. Fighting, gambling and drugs.”

‘Oh” she gasped. She could not imagine a child being raised in the streets with mobsters and hoodlums. It must have been terrible!

“After five years of training. The 12 young men are now full grown and have developed thier own personal skills” he said it with pride. He had indeed trained them well. “But my grandson remained, lets just say ‘naughty’. I wont be here for long, i need someone who will take care of him and possibly change him for the better” with pleading eyes he looked at her again.

She held her breath, this is it !

Will you marry my –“ he was cut off by the sound of the ‘grandfather clock’ then there was  a loud bang of the door. And before she could react, infront of her stood a man whose face - just like an angel but has the eyes of the devil.

ME.” he said and the sound of the clock was the only noise that echoed inside the room, indicating that it was now midnight.