Midnight Memories

Midnight Memories

She clasped her hand in excitement, it has been 5 years since she last saw the old man. “Mr. Lee, grandpa !” she hurriedly went to his side and hugged the old man tightly, “I missed you ! “

“Same here little lady, although i can see your not so little anymore. You’re grandparents must be so proud of you” the old man said, he was gently patting her head. She became teary eyed upon hearing him talk about her grandparents. She loved them so much but they were taken so early from them, she was just about 8 when both of her grandparents died from a terrible car accident. This man is her grandfather’s bestfriend, he had always been a part of the family. After her grandparents died, he alone took their place and took good care of them, most especially her. He had become her grandfather and grew up  with him always by her side, but at the time she turned eighteen he vanished. No trace of him, none at all. She was worried sick, everynight he would always be in her prayers. For three long years both her parents had never stopped looking for him, they asked the assistance of the Seoul Police and they even hired personal investigators. But he was never found, eventuallty they gave up. And now she’s standing infront of him, her beloved old man.

“Why did you leave without saying a word?” she asked accusingly, a tear fell from her eyes. The old man’s heart broke upon seeing his beloved grand daughter crying before him and he knew it was all his fault.

“I was so occupied in taking care of your family, that i had forgotten all about mine.” he held both of her arms and looked at her in the eyes. She was kneeling at his side, it was only then that she noticed that the old man was in a wheelchair.

“Your family ? I thought you never married?” she said, her grandfather had told her that Mr. Lee had no family, he was never married and had no children of his own.

“I kept it a secret from you, it was only your grandfather who knew about it “ his head was down, looking only at his feet. He continued “She was the most beautiful woman i have ever met, i held up the courage to ask her for marriage after a few months of courting her. She accepted my proposal and after three months we were wed. Back then i was still a secretary on the company that your grandfather and i worked on.” he paused and stared blankly at the floor, remembering painful memories. “She was five months pregnant of our child when she told me she wanted to leave, to have a divorce. She said she found someone else and that he was willing to take care of her and the baby, our baby!” he exclaimed, hurt was clear in his voice though it had been a long time ago. SeoHyun held his hands on hers, this old man must have been through a lot.

He continued “I pleaded for her to stay, but she said i could not give her the life that she had always wanted. So i let her go, i decided to forget all about her and even our unborn child. It was hard for me to do” tears were now flowing down his face, he wiped it with his wrinkled hand.

“After that i was determined to have everything, everything that the world could possibly offer. It was then that your grandfather and i decided to build our own company, it became bigger and bigger that we decided to divide the company. The SM and Seo enterprices” he explained, she had never known this stuff. Her parents had kept a lot from her.

“The company belongs to my uncle now” she said in a low voice. “What i want to know is why you left, after i turned eighteen?” she continued, she’s really curious now.

“Before your grandparents died, they have asked me a favor. To take care of you – i have loved you as my own, ofcourse i was willing to keep that promise. But after you turned 18, i received a call from a woman who eventually turns out to be my daughter. She was willing to forgive me for abandoning her for all those years in exchange for one favor – i have to find his son, my grandson. Whom she left at an orphanage. Apparently she was dying from lung cancer and had little time left, she wanted to see his son and ask for his forgiveness. It was a terrible situation for me  to be in, meeting your child for the first time but unfortunately she’s dying and asks for you to find her son. Ofcourse i had to do it – fast ! But it was too late, she died after a week. She had never met his son. I never stopped looking for him” he said with sadness in his eyes.

She couldnt believe what she just heard “You could have told us about that, we could have helped you” she said

“I had to do it on my own child” he held her hand tightly and smiled, though the smile didnt quite reach his eyes. “I spent the whole year looking for my grandson, and upon looking for him i have come across eleven talented young men who is just about the same age as him. I have decided to adopt all of them and trained them” he said, now with a hint of spark in his eyes

“Trained them with what ?” she furrowed her eyebrows, could Tao, Kris and Chanyeol be one of the eleven men that he was talking about ?

“Everything” a voice from behind her said, it was Tao. She had completely forgotten all about him ! Was he there the whole time ?

The old man chuckled “Yes, just about everthing. Tao can you please tell my grandson that our special guest is here?” he said and gestured for him to close the door. When the door was shut, he held her chin and looked straight into her eyes.

Now, i have a favor to ask of you