Contestant

Dreaming of Darkness

The next morning Himchan woke up to his cell phone ringing. Groaning he rolled over and checked the caller. It was his mother. He hadn’t spoken with her since the break up, she was probably beginning to worry about it. Sitting up he opened the phone. 

“Mother.” 
“Goodness, you are still alive.” 
“I’m sorry I haven’t called you in a while. I’ve been going through some rough times.” 
“And you didn’t think your mother could help?”
“No one could mom.” 
“Well what was it anyways?”

Himchan waited a minute to speak. 

“Me and Zelo broke up.” 

He could hear his mother gasp and whisper something to who he assumed was his father. 

“Himchan, baby I’m so sorry. Are you doing alright?”
 
“Well I wasn’t there for a while. I haven’t talked to anyone really since it happened. Zelo moved out and I just kind of locked myself up in my room. I’ve been doing better at school though so I do think that’s quite alright.” 

Himchan stood up and walked out of his room, forgoing the shirt. In the kitchen he started a pot of coffee and leaned against the counter as he continued to talk to his mother. 

“Oh sweetie, do we need to find you a new roommate? Do you need help paying the bills or something. Dear if you need anything you can ask us you know. Your father and I have been terribly worried. It’s been so long since we’ve had a call from you.”

“I’m sorry I worried you mom. I just, I really couldn’t talk to anyone for the longest time. I lost my friends because of it too. But honestly if they really were my friends they would have stuck by me all the way. I don’t need a roommate though. I asked the manager to go ahead and stick someone in the position of my roommate and he moved in yesterday. He seems like a pretty decent fellow. Though I’m honestly scared. I’m not over Zelo yet but this fellow is damn attractive. Plus he’s nice, and he honestly cares about me I think. He actually came to check out the place the night before yesterday. I got piss drunk and fell down behind the couch. I wasn’t doing well at all when he came in. but he picked me up and carried me to my room. He put a washcloth on my forehead and even checked up on me in the morning. He had to go get the rest of his stuff yesterday but he went shopping as well and made Haejangguk for dinner. God he’s terribly kind and it frightens me.” 

“Oh Himchan, do you have a crush? That’s adorable. First though, how long has it been since you and Zelo broke up?” 

Himchan had to think about if for a few seconds. He wasn’t really sure anymore, time had escaped him. 

“God, it has to have been more than six months now.” 
“Are you over him?”
“No, not really. I don’t know if I ever told you but I had proposed to him. I knew we couldn’t legally get married but it meant a lot to me, and to him… Well so I thought.”
“Who broke it off?”
“Zelo.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know. I don’t ing know mother. It bothers me every day. He got a boyfriend practically weeks after we broke up though. So I can only think he was cheating on me. We had been dating for years now, we promised each other the rest of our lives together, but apparently he never intended to keep it.” 

He heard his mother sigh, and again whisper to someone who he assumed was his father.

“Kim Himchan, it’s time for you to move on. If you can develop feelings for your new roommate then it’s time for you to let go. Perhaps this young man can help you heal. Maybe you won’t fall in love with him, but maybe he’ll be there for you through thick and thin. When you first told me you were gay I knew I wouldn’t be getting any grandchildren, but I did know that the man you ended up staying with for the rest of your life would be the happiest person on Earth. You are the sweetest child I’ve ever known, and I’m not just saying that because I’m your mother. Everyone agrees with me. You need to get your rear into action and try and get over Zelo. He broke your heart and there is no point in trying to dwell over it any longer. Maybe down the road somewhere Zelo will tell you why he broke up with you. But there is a reason that he didn’t tell you, perhaps he’s scared. Who knows, but Himchan it’s time to move on.” 

Himchan lowered his head into his hand before replying.

“Mother, the problem is, is I don’t think Yongguk is gay. He can’t be. He’s far too attractive be. God you have to see him mom, even dad would think he’s rather attractive. I’m sure he’s got a girlfriend anyways. “
“Have you asked him.”
“Of course I haven’t mom! I don’t want to seem that desperate. I just… He just can’t be gay, he can’t”
“Well if you are set on him not being gay, at least he still might be able to save you from whatever you’re putting yourself through.” 
“Yeah, I suppose so. And sorry mom for not calling you.” 
“Oh it’s alright honey. You had your reason. Oh and Himchan.”
“Yes?”
“Happy birthday love. Your father and I will be by later tonight. Don’t worry about cooking, we’re going to take you out. You can invite your roommate if you wish. I wanna meet your new crush!”

Himchan’s mother squealed leaving Himchan to groan.

“Mother! But is it really that time already?” 

Himchan walked over to look at the calendar on the fridge.

“God it really is. I didn’t even realize it. I do wish you wouldn’t invite yourself over without my permission. But I’ll allow it this time.” 

“Yay! Thank you Channy. We’ll be over about four. I’ll see you then sweetie. Clean yourself up and don’t forget to invite this Yongguk fellow!”
“Yes mother. I’ll see you soon. Love you, goodbye.” 

Himchan hung up the phone and sighed. 

“God my mom is ridiculous.” 

----

Yongguk stood with is back against the wall. Hiding himself from Himchan for a few minutes. From what he heard, Himchan apparently liked him? Not that he minded, Himchan was handsome and he wouldn’t mind trying to fall in love with him. But the problem was that Himchan thought Yongguk was far too attractive to be gay. Yongguk wanted to laugh but he knew he couldn’t alarm Himchan. 

Yongguk was gay, and had been since he could remember. He had never dated a girl or guy, though he has had several one-night stands. Oh, he remembered telling Himchan that he did have several one-night stands. Himchan must have assumed those were with females. He wasn’t going to just come out and tell Himchan he was gay, but he certainly wasn’t going to let it go. If Himchan liked him, then Yongguk didn’t mind. 

Taking a moment he back away from the wall and walked out to the kitchen. 

“Morning Himchan. Sleep well?”

“Yeah, here. How about you?” 

Yongguk took the coffee mug that Himchan passed to him and nodded. 

“Yeah, I slept pretty well. I still need to unpack but I’m going to do that for another day.” 

Himchan nodded and looked Yongguk over for a minute. Neither of them were wearing shirts and lord did Yongguk have a good build. He really just wanted to reach over and run his hand down Yongguk’s chest but he knew that would not be a good idea. 

“Hey Yongguk. I got a call from my mother today. Apparently today is my birthday and they are coming over. I told my mother about Zelo and about you. Nothing bad of course. But she wants me to invite you to dinner tonight. How about it?”

Yongguk took a moment to answer, slightly flabbergasted. 

“Are you sure? You did just meet me and aren’t I going to encroach on your family time?”
“Yongguk, if you don’t go my mother will literally drag you out of the house. She thinks that you are sweet after what you did for me the other night. I think she’s got a crush on you for goodness sakes.” 
“Well if your mother thinks so highly of me then I must not prove her wrong. I’ll go. Oh and Himchan.” 
“Yes?”
“Happy Birthday. I’m glad I got to be here for it.” 


Happy Birthday Himchan! All of us Babys are behind you all the way. We wish you and the rest of B.A.P good fortunes and safe travels. 

Obligatory Himchan Birthday Chapter. Hella.