The Unravelling

Forgotten

 

    Monday. Back to the office. You took a little break after you researched more about the deaths of No Minwoo and Shim Hyunseong. You walked down to the staff lounge and saw Donghyun busy making his usual daily coffee. You quickly backed out of the room but you were caught. “Woah, slow down there Ruth. What’s the rush? How are you, little one?” he said. “You’re being extremely nice to me all of a sudden. Cut to the chase, Donghyun.” you said. Donghyun leaned against the doorframe and took a sip of his coffee and said, “Fine, we’ll get to the point.” he looks around to see if anyone was there then pulled you in the staff lounge and shut the door. He pulled out an old crumpled newspaper article dated back 6 years ago. The headline caught you by surprise. Long Lost Twins Reunited. The picture of the article showed Jo Youngmin and Jo Kwangmin.

 

 

    Tuesday. Twins? How could it be? The more you thought about them being identical twins made you recognize their similarities. You quickly left your house and went to Jo Kwangmin’s entertainment building. As you walked through the entrance of Starship Entertainment there were already a dozen of reporters from different companies waiting for Jo Kwangmin to give them anything that they can get their stories from. Suddenly, the reporters started to crowd in front of the elevator as the doors opened and out came the famous star. Oddly, you saw a green glowing light that radiated off his chest. You try to ignore the green light, it was probably just a fashion trend that you didn’t know of. Of course, you started to get excited to see such a popular superstar in front of your eyes. “Jo Kwangmin! Jo Kwangmin! Please, may I have a moment with you?! Jo Kwangmin!” Remarkably, he stopped right in front of you, lowered his sunglasses to get a good look at who you were and smiled. “Of course, tomorrow. 5 PM sharp.” he said in a smooth tone. Kwangmin placed his sunglasses back to its proper place and smirked at you for the last time then walked out of the building. You found yourself dumbfounded in front of everyone. You immediately ran to your workplace to brag in your co-worker’s face.

 

 

    Wednesday. It was 4:50 PM in the afternoon. You were already in front of Kwangmin’s entertainment building and fortunately on schedule. A security guard escorted you to Kwangmin’s dressing room as demanded by the idol himself. Kwangmin gave you a warm welcome and offered you a seat across from him. “Let’s begin this interview, I assume that you have a very busy day today Jo Kwangmin. I will make this interview short and straight to the point. Also, I want to thank you very much for this opportunity to sit down with me and complete this interview.” you said genuinely. “Absolutely. It’s my pleasure.” he said very formally. Ten minutes passed until you were interrupted during your interview by the green glowing light that radiated off his chest again. you couldn’t help yourself but to ask him what it was. Kwangmin placed his hand on his chest and looked up to stare at you dead in the eye. “It’s you. I knew it. I can’t believe you’re still alive. Ruth.” Kwangmin’s voice became quiet and low. Still alive? What is he trying to say? “Excuse me? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.” you replied. Kwangmin scoffed at you, “How could I forget? You have amnesia. You don’t remember a thing, do you? If you’re still alive, my brother is out there too.” Kwangmin stood up and strided closer to you to the point where uncomfort began to settle in. With the speed of light, Kwangmin held down your wrists and with the pressure he’s putting in made you almost believe that sooner or later your wrists will be broken. “I know what you’re capable of. And hopefully you won’t escape this time. Now let’s just sit down and I’ll tell you your life story... Before we came to this planet.”

 

 

    Kwangmin started off your life story when you were suppose to be married to him on their home planet named Cancri. Kwangmin and his brother were descendants of royalty and you were one of the few rare “Seekers” on their planet. Seekers are those who can distinguish which of their people are their friend or foe. The enemies of their planet are those who radiates this green glow from their chest and are called the “Marked Ones”. This green glow came from other aliens that came from other galaxies that surrounded the planet. It makes the Cancri people have no control over their body causing them to disrupt the natural courses of their planet. There were only a few Cancritians who have the special ability to seek out these enemies and attack them before they can destroy anything or anyone. Unfortunately, as the Marked Ones grew in large numbers, the survivors had to flee away from the planet forever. The Marked Ones began to grow smarter overtime, the people who were infected began to slowly learn how to control their body and develop unusual powers. The Marked Ones began attacking other planets around them and some has entered Earth.

 

 

    Kwangmin said that he loved you the moment he met his very first Seeker and you felt the same. On the night of the marriage, before you were officially announced as part of the royal family, the Marked Ones attacked. He stayed back to protect the planet from being overthrown by them as you and all the other survivors fled to the safest planet there was. Kwangmin promised that he would come back for you and swore that his brother would protect you at all costs until he returned. You waited for Kwangmin’s return but also had a love affair with his brother, Youngmin. Youngmin took care of you all the time until Kwangmin had finally reached his bride-to-be. As a Seeker you saw that Kwangmin was infected by the Marked Ones. He could control his body, persuading that you should come back to him again and that everything would be okay. You refused to love him because you couldn’t be with an infected man and that you had already fell in love with Youngmin. Kwangmin became stunned by the news, he went crazy with no sense of control. Youngmin protected you from his infected brother and sent you to a different place across the Earth to keep you away and hidden from Kwangmin. Somehow, Kwangmin kept looking for you for a long time and became recognized as a superstar with his striking good looks and an amazing ability to rap. He faked an engagement with a woman just to try to forget about you. He almost gave up in finding you until you stumbled into his building, pleading for an interview.

 

 

    “And now you see, that is why you’re here in my dressing room.” he said. “You have no idea how much I’ve been through and obviously you don’t even remember. I guess it’s a good thing to forget the bad things, but you can’t forget how much you loved me, right? I love you, Ruth. I always did and I always will, I know you feel the same about me too. But I’ll give you a little reminder of how much we… love… each other…” Kwangmin leaned in closer and gave you a soft touch of his lips upon yours, he was hesitant at first but he dived in for the kiss that he longed for. You extracted your lips away from his which made him tempted for more. He leaned in for another one but you pulled away. He let a small sigh slip out and released his intense grip on your wrists which left large red marks on you and you felt blood rushing back into your hands.”I-I must be going now…” you said as you quickly packed up your belongings and tried to reach the door. “I want to let you know that if you need anything, tell me. You’re always welcomed here in the building. I’ll let security make sure of that. Come back soon… I miss you.” he said. You exited out of his sight after his statement.