The Boy Next Door

Forgotten

They say that love makes you blind. Love can make us go crazy, a feeling so good that it can damage you. Love hurts. That’s what they said.

 

 

 

 

 

    You were standing beside your window, your heart pounded so hard that it felt like it would jump out any second. It was one of those nights where you couldn’t take your mind of it. That memory. You shut your eyes tightly while you clutched onto your shirt as your chest started to ache. Love hurts. You inhaled deeply and your heart calmed down. You looked out of the window and stared at the stars. “I’m sorry for loving you.” you whispered, you turned around and limped back to bed.

 

[3 Years Ago]

 

    You were spying on your new neighbour who moved right next door to you. “He’s on the move again.” you cursed under your breath. You grabbed your camera and ran to the next tree, crouched behind it and started to snap pictures of your neighbour, rapidly. You bit your bottom lip as you watched him walk out of his house. “Where are you going now, Youngmin?”. He climbed into his car and drove as you quickly snapped a few more pictures as he sped off.

 

 

    Your next door neighbour, Jo Youngmin moved in 3 months ago. It was rumoured around the neighbourhood that he’s a high school student who came back from studying abroad in America for 3 years. He lives alone and somewhat is a undercover criminal, or a mad scientist of some sort, according to the neighbourhood. The point is that he’s strange man. Of course, being a curious newspaper reporter you were, you wanted the juiciest scoops for your next article. You’ve been trying to get clues of your next door neighbour of what he really is for about 2 months. You couldn’t exactly find any solid evidence yet. Last week, you decided you should quit trying to figure him out and move onto your next assignment but something made you stay. You saw that he had all these weird gadgets in his house, just by peering through his window. You knew something up, he’s hiding something and you wanted to find out.

 

 

    Monday. Time to get back to work and get lectured again for not bringing in a new scoop for tomorrow’s column. Great. You didn’t want to face another day at work, especially knowing that your co-worker will be there. Kim Donghyun. You two have been fighting to get the position as chief reporter for about 2 years now. He always beats you on getting the best news. You groaned as you got out of bed and made your way to work. You sat in your quiet office and tried to focus on your work until Donghyun stood beside you, arms crossed and grinning. “What do you want, Donghyun? I’m busy.” you said without looking up at him. Donghyun chuckled a little and tossed a newspaper in front of you. You took the paper and read the headline. Superstar Jo Kwangmin Engaged. Article by: Kim Donghyun. You gasped unexpectedly, and threw the newspaper back at Donghyun. “How do you get information about this?! You know that Jo Kwangmin is the most popular star out there, nobody knows about his personal life. You must to be a ninja or something to know about this!” you yelled. “Ahh~ but I’m the best reporter out there, aren’t I? I have resources, I know what I’m doing. This article will give me my reward as Chief Reporter. Now, give up little brat because you’ll be working for me soon.” Donghyun ran out of your office excitedly, laughing.

You grumbled as you buried your face into your hands. Damn, how’d he get that information? It’s practically impossible to get exclusive stuff from Jo Kwangmin. you thought. “I need to step up my game. I’ll be Chief Reporter and then YOU will be working for ME. You’ll see Donghyun. Just wait.”     

 

 

    Wednesday. Instead of taking pictures of your neighbour, you decided to interview him, personally. You walked up to his door and knocked. You waited a little and knocked again. No one’s home? you thought. “H-Hello? Is anyone home?”. Silence. “I’m Ruth from Korea Gossip News. I’m here to see Jo Youngmin?”. Nothing. You sighed. Nobody’s home. You walked away from his house, you suggested you would see him in a later time. You unlocked the front door of your house until you heard fast-paced footsteps from Jo Youngmin’s place. You peeked over the brick wall that divided his house from yours and saw Youngmin running to his car. This is my chance! you thought. You started to race to him. “Jo Youngmin! Youngmin!”, you shouted excitedly. He glanced over his shoulder and saw you running towards him, he started to pick up his speed, climbed into his car and slammed the door. You ran to the driver’s seat and banged on his window. “Jo Youngmin. I need to talk to you for one second. Please, just one moment! I really need to -- “, you noticed his car was moving, but you ran in front of the car, hoping that he would stop. You realized he didn’t care if he ran you over so you jumped onto the front of his car as he started to speed off into the road. You pressed your face into the windshield and screamed, “Jo Youngmin! JO YOUNGMIN! I just need a moment with you! Please, it’s very important! I just need to --” He cut you off by turning on the windshield blades which wiped your face off. You realized he was speeding so fast into the road that he hit the brakes instantly and you went flying off his car. You felt a dangerously sharp pain running through your entire body. You out immediately.   

 

 

    A instant pain ran through your body as you woke up. You observed your surroundings and noticed you were in the hospital. You couldn’t move because every inch of your body hurts. You heard the door click open and came in your boss and Donghyun with flowers. “Good. You’re awake. How are you doing, Ruth?” asked your boss. “Do you expect me to be fine?”. You didn’t realize your tone was harsh. “I told you she’s cranky, boss. Do you see what I have to put up with everyday?” said Donghyun. You rolled your eyes at him. “I’ll let you rest for a bit. I’ll see you later, Ruth” said your boss. You nodded and your boss left the room, leaving only you and your annoying co-worker alone. “Haha, looks like I got another great scoop. Do you want to hear it? You’re going to have to listen anyways, you can’t even move.” You build up all your strength and punched him in the arm. “Ow!”, cried Donghyun. “Looks like I have strength to hurt you, still.” you smirked. “Ha ha, very funny Ruth.” he sarcastically said. “Anyways, I figured out Jo Kwangmin’s mystery woman.” You gave Donghyun a surprised face. “You what?! You know who she is?! How did you even figure that out?! Who is it?! Who is it?!” you started to raise your voice. “I found out because I’m the best, ha! I’m not telling you, you might steal my article. See who it is for yourself in tomorrow’s paper.” You cursed under your breath. “Ahh~ Don’t hate me, you little brat. I’m just better than you at everything. See you soon. And these are for you, feel better.” he gave you a bouquet of flowers and left the room feeling superior. You rolled your eyes and admire the beautiful flowers.

 

 

    Friday. Donghyun’s article made it to the front page of Thursday’s paper. Turns out that Jo Kwangmin purposed to a woman who produced many rap duets with him. Of course! How could you not know that? You had a suspicious feeling about them but it didn’t really bother you because you were too focused on Youngmin at that time. This could’ve been your news story! You stomped off angrily to Donghyun’s office and threw the newspaper in his face. “I hate you, Kim Donghyun.”  you furiously said. Donghyun smiled widely. “You saw it, didn’t you? Haha! Hot couple aren’t they?”. “You knew my assignment was to be on Jo Kwangmin.” you said, trying to calm down your anger. “Woah, look little girl. I knew you were too busy with this ‘Jo Youngmin’ guy. I knew how big Jo Kwangmin is in Korea, so I took a shot out of it. Look on the bright side, I gave you less work. Your welcome. And besides, you’ve been working on this ‘Jo Youngmin’ case for a pretty long time. Looks like you’re doing pretty bad. I bet I can get a bigger information than you on him.” You scoffed loudly. “Kim Donghyun. Are you betting on me?”. “Looks like I am. The person who gets the biggest scoop on Jo Youngmin will get a paid vacation, loser pays all of it.” “Oh, you are so on Kim Donghyun.” You two shook hands firmly, eyeing each other fiercely.

 

 

    Monday. Another work day, yet still nothing about Youngmin. On the weekend, you tried to get Youngmin’s attention. He still ignored you. You tried to lure him out of the house, but that didn’t work because he never stepped foot out of his house for the whole weekend. Well, at least now you know that Donghyun couldn’t get a bigger news story than you. You walked to Donghyun’s office. He looked up from his paperwork and said, “Well, look who it is. Little Ruth. The person I wanted to see. Check this out.” He motioned you over to hi desk. You looked at the photos that Donghyun had taken. “No way. How did you get these?!” you said shockingly. They were pictures of Youngmin and his place! “I found a way into his place. His windows were unlocked.” said Donghyun. “What? You broke into his place?! Smart.” you said. You flipped through the photos, they were pictures of random substances and a lot of notebooks, books, papers lying around. “I couldn’t take enough pictures though, he caught me and told me to leave before he kills me.” said Donghyun. “That sounds a little harsh, doesn’t it?” you asked. “Exactly. I’m telling you Ruth. Something’s up with this guy. Something dangerous.”