Eldest Leaves

Strange Journey


       Amber stepped forward, saying goodbye to her eldest sybling named Jackie. Her younger brother was behind her, not saying a word. They stood there in silence before she decided to break it, "How long will you be gone?" she asked, looking away from the older one's eyes.

     "I don't know but I promise I will come back, Amber," the older girl said.

      Amber looked up at her while the little boy stayed quiet, letting them talk. He was too sad to speak. He was looking at his feet, tearing up but he held it in. Amber frowned as she asks, "Why won't you tell us where you are going or what you are gonna do while you're gone?"

      Jackie sighed and put her hand on Amber's shoulder before replying, "I know you have many questions. Don't worry, all of them will be answered on your own." 

      Her jaws clenched, "That has nothing to do with those questions! I'm tired of hearing that, Jackie!" Amber yelled, making Taemin and Jackie flinch. Jackie may be the oldest but she is sure scared of Amber when that girl is mad, especially when she is yelling.

     "Amber, please calm down. It has everything to do with the questions you asked. Like I said before, listen to that. When the right time comes, all of your questions will be answered," she answered but she was shocked when Amber glared at her before removing her hand on her shoulder harshly.

      "Why can't you answer those questions now?" Amber murmured but Jackie only gave her a look like she didn't understand, like she was keeping a secret. She can't help but raise an eyebrow at her because of that thought, "What are you keeping from me, Jackie?"

       "I can't tell you, Amber. I'm sorry but everything I have told you is the truth. I need to leave," Jackie replied and turned around to leave. The younger ones didn't even say anything. They just watched her walk off , she turned around to them before walking into the darkness. Amber could no longer see her. Her little brother grabbed her hand and started crying while she looked at him.

       She caressed his hair, "Taemin-ah, stop crying. It's okay. Like she what she said, she will be back." Using her soothing voice, he tried to calm him down and once he stopped crying, they started walking to their apartment which was distgusting but they weren't really bothered by it. 

       "Jackie noona was kinda like umma but you are more like umma," Taemin suddenly said and grabbed her hand. Amber looked down at him and smiled. She gripped his hand as he frowns, thinking of his mother and father who were killed. The only problem is they don't know how or why but she has a feeling that Jackie knows the answers. But she is sure that her sister won't say anything. All of them are 6 years apart. Jackie is 25 years old while Amber is 19 and Taemin is 13. Their parents died when Taemin was only 4 years old and when Amber was 10. And for sure, it was really hard for a 4 year old to lose both of his parents. 

        "How is that, Taeminnie?" she asked and he smiled.

         "Umma's voice was very soothing like yours. You and umma are very similar actually. You can be pretty tough at times, just like umma. Umma can always calm me down almost immediatley, just like you. And you are both pretty and funny," he said, causing Amber to chuckle.

        "Jackie is prettier than me, Minnie." 

        "Jackie noona may be pretty but so are you. The best thing is that you are pretty on the inside and out." 

        "That's sweet, Minnie. Hmm, you know what? You are like dad, sweet and adorable but kinda childish. Hahaha."