Enough for Now

A Type of Love

I watch Taejoon looking through a box of bracelets, a very serious look on his face. I smile at how carefully he’s contemplating each piece of jewelry. The way he runs a hand through his dark brown hair in frustration, the corner of his lips slightly, how he furrows his brow inspecting each one carefully; Taejoon is very cute. Taejoon is very good looking and always has been, but not only is he good looking, he’s good natured. The nicest person I know and not the kind you can walk all over, I’m that kind of nice, the one you can hurt and I’ll still apologize for something. I advert my gaze feeling slightly guilty for liking someone like him; instead I focus on the silver bangles on the table in front of me messing with them absently.

“Hanbyul,” I’m brought out of my thoughts as I hear Taejoon’s voice calling out to me, taking my attention away from the tables with hundreds of little trinkets and to the boy walking over to me. “Hanbyul, do you think she’ll like this one?”  Taejoon asks curiously while holding up two separate bracelets.

I force the smile on my face to stay, “The one with the pink ribbon,” I answer honestly; I’m not sure what I had been hoping for when Taejoon asked me to go shopping with him, it would of course be for his girlfriend, her birthday is coming up after all. “Sohee would like it more.” I say, mostly so that I can reinforce that Taejoon likes someone else.

“What about you, Hanbyul which do you like?” He asks holding up one that has a black ribbon, and then a navy blue one weaved on a gold chain. “Go ahead and pick, I always drag you along to places.” Taejoon says brightly.

This is why I can’t make myself stop liking him; this is exactly why I get caught up in his smile, his laugh, and the way his voice sounds. Taejoon isn’t a bad guy, I think if he were I would have been able to convince myself a long time ago that it is hopeless, but instead he’s nice and every time he’s nice to me I find myself falling more and more for him. “The navy blue one,” I say smiling still, even if a small part of me wants to run away desperately from him, it’s the larger part of me that just relishes in any time I get to spend with him that keeps me near him.

“I thought so,” Taejoon says winking at me, “Your favorite color is navy blue,” which is correct. Taejoon and I are friends, best friends; we’ve known each other since high school, so he knows just about everything about me, with me knowing far more than I should about him. While it makes me feel special, it pains me greatly.

“You don’t have to buy me something, besides didn’t you treat me to lunch?” I say whining slightly. It’s always bothered me to accept his kindness, especially since I don’t view them as small matters. Every time Taejoon buys me something I end up treasuring it, and getting my hopes up a little bit more that maybe just maybe he’ll like me the way I like him.

“Hanbyul, you do this every time.” He scolds me gently. “You’re my friend, my best friend, I want to do nice things for you, let me.” Taejoon says surprising me, I smile a little bit and nod my head at this notion. It’d been enough for me when we were just high school students, being friends, spending time around Taejoon. However, since we entered university together it’s been harder. “That’s my Hanbyul.”

And like any girl who is dying to hear a boy she likes say something like that, I blush, my heart starts beating a little bit faster and I become super compliant. “I’m going to go find my own gift for Sohee.” I say meekly while pointing in any direction that isn’t here.

“Just make sure you don’t get something better than me.” Taejoon jokes, already moving towards the woman who owns the stall.

Walking off I find myself a bit turned around as usual when I do something like this, in my rush to get away and calm down I’d managed to get lost. “When will I learn?” I mutter under my breath desperately.

Instead of moping I look at the different things people are selling in the stalls. I can’t bear to think about Taejoon right now, not like this in public. Looking at the different necklaces I think about how Sohee is always wearing something cute, jewelry, clothes, makeup, shoes, everything, is that partly why Taejoon likes her? Of course it is. I need to stop. Sohee is a friend, Taejoon is a friend; things have always been this way. High school they liked each other, it was obvious to me and everyone else. It hadn’t surprised anyone when they started dating.

“Are you looking for anything in particular?” A woman asks me, I nod my head slightly. “Maybe I can help you,” She says brightly.

I nod my head timidly. “Something a bit vintage, it’s a present for a friend.” I say in my usual way, quiet and meek. The woman shows me several pieces, all of which I think would suit Sohee fine, but none of them quite scream happy birthday to me, “Maybe something a bit more defining?” I venture feeling more tired than I had when this shopping trip started. “It’s for her birthday.”

“Perhaps this one?” The woman asks holding a caged bird necklace, the cage is a miniature, while it is cute, I’m not sure it suits my friend. “Perhaps for yourself?” She says handing me the trinket. I examine the necklace, I do like it. “I’ll toss in the gift for your friend for free.” She says smiling at me.

I look up surprised. “I couldn’t possibly,” I start becoming a little frantic at the gesture. “I mean, I would much rather buy both, I couldn’t just—” I say rambling hopelessly.

Cutting me off the women smirks, “Then pay for the gift, the necklace in your hand is a gift from me to you.” She says smiling at me kindly. “It suits you better than sitting here.” She says firmly.

Hesitantly I nod my head, unsure how to refuse her words or gift. “Thank you,” I mumble bowing, I close my hand over the necklace before putting it in my purse. I look through the tables diligently trying to find the perfect gift for Sohee. It isn’t until I get to the last table that I see an elephant on the cover of a locket, Sohee loves elephants, I turn the locket over in my hand. It is her style and has her favorite animal on it. Taking the locket to the counter I decide to get it. “This one,” I say a bit more confidently.

“It’s a lovely piece,” The woman says smiling at me, “I’m sure your friend will love it.” She says graciously as she wraps the necklace. “30,000 won,” She says waiting as I fish the money out of my wallet. “Thank you,” She says bowing to me slightly.

I return the gesture. “Thank you.” I mumble back sending her a smile. I stumble out of the store and begin to pull my phone out of my purse when I hear Taejoon calling for me. “Oh, I was just about to call you.” I say as he stops in front of me.

“Jeez, Hanbyul you wander off without waiting,” Taejoon mutters letting out a long sigh. “I was worried you got lost.” He says relieved.

“Honestly speaking I am a bit turned around,” I mutter looking away. “But I found a gift for Sohee.” I say smiling as I look back, Taejoon shakes his head at me. “I’ll be more careful.” I mumble a bit embarrassed, but I am happy he worries about me, just a little.

“Come on; let’s get you back to your apartment silly.” Taejoon says smiling at me, grabbing my arm gently he tugs me in what I’m assuming is the correct direction. “Honestly, what do you do when I’m not around?” Taejoon mutters playfully. “I’m not even sure what you would do without me.”

I chuckle, though I have to force it because I’m not sure what I’ll do when Taejoon and I can’t be like this anymore. What will happen when I can’t stand to be around him like this, when will it hurt too much, or maybe he’ll leave me? “Taejoon, I may have bought something slightly better than your bracelet.” I tease; I need to think about something else, anything else.

Taejoon looks back at me, his eyes slightly widen. “Hanbyul, teasing me? Something must have happened while you were shopping, something good.” He says back grinning at me. “Aigo, you’re such a cutie when you smile like that.” He says.

I stick my tongue out; though I’m slightly surprised to hear that, mostly because I wasn’t aware I was even smiling. Do I smile unconsciously around my friend often? Is it a special sort of smile? “It has been a nice day,” I say back quietly and a bit meekly again, Taejoon always seems to hear me though. “Did you get everything you needed for Sohee?” I ask curiously.

“I did, the bracelet was the last thing I needed. I’m really excited for tomorrow.” Taejoon says excitedly while tugging me a little harder. I follow behind him effortlessly; it’s when we’re like this, talking and just spending time together that I find myself completely lost in him. Taejoon’s voice resonates as though it was all around me and it makes me for a brief moment feel like I’ll always feel like this.

 

~~~

 

Sohee, Taejoon, Solbi, Joonyoung and I are all heading home after a rather interesting party for Sohee. As per requested, we spent the night at her apartment so that it would be private. While opening her gifts Taejoon suddenly promised to bring Sohee his final gift, something about it not possible to bring her yet, but totally worth the wait.

“Hanbyul, you’ve known Taejoon and Sohee since high school right?” Solbi asks curiously as we board a bus with Joonyoung flanking us. I’m not sure how the conversation got steered here seeing as I blanked out while the three of us waited for the bus.

I nod my head, Solbi steadying me as I nearly fall on my face from tripping over probably nothing. “Why?” I ask curiously, I glance over my shoulder at the pair curiously before I take a seat.

Solbi and Joonyoung take a seat on either side of me. “Just curious,” Solbi says grinning at me.

“She means that since the three of you rarely talk about high school, she wants to know how they met.” Joonyoung says smirking at our friend who is now pouting.

“I was going to ask when you weren’t around.” She snaps. I glance between the two nervously; Joonyoung is in my literature class, while Solbi was introduced via Sohee, the two nearly always argue when together. “You don’t have to say anything.” Solbi says coldly to me, though I know the tone is meant Joonyoung.

“You’re making Hanbyul uncomfortable.” Joonyoung says indifferently as he looks at his phone instead, which Solbi promptly ignores. “It’s Taejoon and Sohee,” He mutters looking at the text.

I glance to him curiously. “What’s it say?” I ask curiously with Solbi resting her head on my shoulder. “It’s a text right?”

Joonyoung nods his head but frowns after a moment. “Sohee said to tell us not to fight around Hanbyul.” He mutters sighing. “They both really watch out for you.” He says sending me a worried look. “Then again you’re a bit dense most of the time.”

“Leave her alone, Hanbyul is just timid.” Solbi says waving him off. “What I really want to know is how those two always know when Hanbyul here needs help.”

It is something I’ve always wondered, Sohee and Taejoon both know when exactly I need help or happen upon me when I’m distressed. Back in high school it’d always been Taejoon who’d ward off the other students, who picked on me, and when Sohee befriended Taejoon and by extension me, she’d fend off people even more than Taejoon.

“Earth to the clumsy girl,” Joonyoung says tugging on my arm. “Hanbyul, it’s our stop, come on.” He says while pulling me to my feet and leading Solbi and I down the narrow aisles. “You’re only ever alert in class.” He mutters glancing at me while shaking his head.

“Don’t pick on her,” Solbi says while wrapping her arms around me. “She’s like our little doe-eyed, albeit clumsy, fawn.” She continues to go on as we get off the bus. I glance at the pair confusedly. “See, look she’s just so adorable, especially when she’s tipsy like this.”

Joonyoung sends an unamused look at us. “She falls enough on her own sober, let’s not add in a tipsy body for her.”

Apparently this had made sense to Solbi as she releases me and settles for guiding me with her arm. “Are you going to walk me home too?” She questions curiously at our tall and rather intimidating friend, Joonyoung is kind of like Taejoon in this way only Joonyoung looks intimidating all the time. He scowls at people on the street sending a clear message to them. “Joonyoung, will you walk me home too?” Solbi asks in pleading sort of voice.

“It’s the plan.” Joonyoung says walking a bit closer and throwing an arm around me and tugging Solbi to his other side. “No way are either of you walking alone, too many erts out tonight.” He says not to us, but to a man walking by. Joonyoung has a scary glare and uses it often to ward off people.

The three of us remain silent until I’m dropped off in my own apartment. “Get some rest; I’ll see you in class on Monday.” Joonyoung says supporting a now sleepy Solbi.

I smile thankfully at him. “Alright, thank you for walking me home.” I mumble leaning against the door frame to steady myself. “Get home safe too.” I say as he pushes me back slightly.

“Yeah, yeah, you and Solbi are the ones we need to worry about.” He says smirking at me as he turns to leave. “Night Hanbyul,” He calls over his shoulder just before I shut the door.

 

It isn’t my alarm clock that wakes me up, I glance to my side and push whoever or whatever it is that’s attempting to wake me up away. When I hear a chuckle I know immediately that it’s Taejoon. “Go away, it’s dark out still and I’m sleepy.” I whine scooting further away from the edge of my bed.

“I know, but we need to go or we’ll miss the train.” Taejoon says, all of which confuses me. “Come on, I need my best friend.”

I curl up under my blankets deciding to ignore him; maybe I’ll get more sleep this way. “Taejoon, stop it. I wanna sleep.” I whine trying to kick his hand away from me.

Another chuckle and I’m holding my blankets even tighter. “Come on, if we’re late I won’t be able to get Sohee’s last gift!” My friend says urgently.

“I thought you said you had everything already.” I whine sitting and rubbing my eyes tiredly. “That’s what you told me last weekend!” I mutter pouting in the dark.

“Well yeah, I just need to go get it, but I have to stand in line and I think it’d be better for you to come with me.” Taejoon says taking a seat on my bed. “So get dressed, I’ll buy breakfast for us and I’ll even toss in a free English lesson.”

“Those are free to me anyways.” I point out groggily. “What are you even getting her?” I mutter wanting to just go back to bed.

“Seeing as Sohee has class today, and her favorite group is doing a signing, I thought I’d go and get a signature for her.” Taejoon says excitedly. “Come on, I know you don’t listen to them, but you’d be doing me a huge favor.I can’t go by myself, it’d be weird.”

Grumbling under my breath I push my blankets off and climb out of my bed. “I’ll get dressed, but it better be the best breakfast money can buy.” I gripe bumping into my desk. “Ugh it is too early for this crap.” I mutter hearing Taejoon chuckle again, the lights flash on blinding me for a moment before I move to get dressed.

Sohee is lucky, Taejoon knows how much as she’d like to go, but she can’t, her classes are a bit more important. She and Solbi have extra lectures today from some doctor from America or England is giving an in depth talk about some medical procedure. Taejoon really cares about her, a lot. I shake the thought away, Taejoon cares about me too and that’s enough. It has to be enough.


 

Oh ho, the first chapter. - u-
Err, trying to get the wording right still.
Bangtan in the next chapter guys c;
Let me know what you guys think~!