7

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Present Day

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2023 (Winter) - Day 943 

The boys sat in silence, reveling in the piece of news Mark had just announced. It was a great deal of information for everyone to take in, especially hearing it come from a boy they had never met before. the piece of jewelry in your hands, you caught a piercing stare in your direction as the boy walked over, coming to sit next to you. Standing up, Jongin quickly padded off, taking a seat next to Sehun who still sat with Luhan, his eyes strangely dark.

“Did I shock you?” He asked softly, placing a comforting arm around your shoulders as you leant into him with a soft sigh. Shaking your head slightly, you passed him the necklace in your hand as he twirled it around, before hanging it back around your neck.

“It’s just been a while. We’ve all basically resigned ourselves to this fate, so having anything else to hope for is dangerous. Hope is a dangerous thing, Tuan,” you murmured under your breath as he nodded in agreement, not having anything to say.

The two of you sat in silence, as the room slowly drawled into a quietened atmosphere. Jongin and Sehun were now sitting with each other, and the older boys were silent. With a soft pat on your shoulder, Mark got up, addressing the room is a hushed voice.

“We want to get out of here as soon as possible, there’s news that the higher ups are planning something and we really have no intention to stay and find out,” Mark announced, as the boys broke into a soft murmur. You knew what they were talking about and it was eating at the back of your mind as well.

“We can’t go Tuan,” you started as he tilted his head down to look at you, thoroughly puzzled.

“We can’t go, because not all of us are here, some have been captured and we don't know where they are or how they are right now,” you explained softly, before looking down at your hands. The familiar faces flitted through your mind as you took in a deep breath, looking up at Mark with warm tears in your eyes that threatened to fall.

“When were they taken?” Mark asked, his voice a soft whisper, as if he was almost too afraid to ask.

“About a year back.”

3 years ago
Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2020 (Spring)

It was around the middle of spring when Joonmyeon and Minseok first arrived at the camp. The cold winter air grew warm, as the soft pink cherry blossoms began to bloom on the sparse trees in the bleak Taebaek camp. Sitting beneath the biggest cherry blossom tree, which grew in the courtyard, you turned to Luhan, whispering softly in his ear as his leant in closer.

“There are two new boys,” you whispered as he nodded, following your gaze as he studied the two other boys who were walking together, their heads tilted towards each together, engaged in a private conversation. As the baby-faced boy moved his arm to sweep his hair away from his face, his arm, bandaged in white crepe came into view, a metal bangle around his wrist.

“That’s a controlling device around his wrist, I heard some of the guards talking about it a few days back. They were thinking of installing it on everyone of us, but I guess they have insufficient numbers as of now. It shocks the user till they faint should they resist or misbehave,” Luhan murmured next to your ear, his breath warm against your ear as you nodded, turning your gaze back to the two boys in interest.

As you watched their interaction cautiously, intrigued by their behavior. The two of them looked so composed at the situation they were in, uncharacteristic of any child in their predicament. The only reason that came to mind was how they were older than the others by a few years, but that fact alone was starkly lacking and insufficient in your eyes.

The two of them seemed to be around Luhan’s age, either a little older or the same age. One of them had a distinct baby-face, making him look much younger than he probably was, but the expression in his ears added years to his youthful face. The other had a kind and gentle face, and as he smiled softly to the other boy, you could sense the calmness that he seemed to exude.

At that moment, the boy with the kinder face turned slightly towards your direction, catching your gaze. To your surprise, he smiled gently with a small nod before he turned back, continuing to listen attentively to the other. Embarrassed, you quickly looked away as you bit your lip. You could feel your cheeks warming up as you covered your face with your hand,

“What’s wrong? Are you feeling sick?” Luhan asked concernedly, resting his hand on your forehead as he placed his other hand against his own as a comparison. Bringing his hand down to your cheeks, he cupped it softly, as a small frown appeared on his face.

“You are a little warm, are you sick? The weather is a little chilly, let’s head back to the room,” he insisted worriedly, standing up as he offered you a hand, to which you shook your head slightly, a smile crawling on your face. Ever since he started opening up to you, his true personality started to surface.

“I’m not sick Lulu, don’t worry so much,” you reassured him, patting his hand with a fond smile on your face. Studying your expression, he took your word for it, sitting back down on the soft grass beside you. Stretching his hands above his head, he yawned, laying his head on your outstretched legs as he smiled up at you.

“Gege is tired so I’ll rest for a while,” he beamed, his eyes curling into a smile as he snuggled more comfortably in your lap as you brought your hand down onto his head, your fingers playing with strands of his brownish-black hair. Feeling him smile, he turned his head towards you as he gave you a cheeky smile.

“He caught you staring didn’t he?” He teased, poking your cheek with one finger, as he tilted his head to the side slightly. Pouting slightly, you pulled on one strand with extra strength, annoyed at how he felt entertainment out of your embarrassment, as he winced, glaring at you.

“Could we sit here?” A soft voice asked in Korean, his accent albeit strange, as you looked up, almost scuttling back in shock by the close proximity of the boy. Nodding in approval, you shifted slightly to the side as Luhan sat up straight between the two of you, brushing his hair down with one hand as he stared at them questionably.

“Ah, how rude of us. My name is Kim Joonmyeon and my friend is Kim Minseok, we’re both ten this year. It’s nice to meet you.” He greeted with a genial smile, as he offered his hand for a handshake, which you took in yours. His Korean was a little hesitant, but understandable nonetheless.

“Ah, I’m Luhan, and this is Park Eunkyung, I’m ten and she’s nine this year.” Luhan introduced as the two nodded, as Joonmyeon cleared his throat slightly as Minseok turned to the two of you, speaking slowly in a foreign tongue as you stared at him confusedly.

“あの、すみません。ルハンさんとユンキョンさんは何是ここにいるのですか。ルハンさんとユンキョンさんはともだちですか。” He asked as you gawked at him, with a lost expression on your face. You hadn’t learnt Japanese as you were growing up, and was only fluent in Korean, Chinese and English. Staring at Luhan hoping he understood, he shrugged as the both of you turned towards Joonmyeon, hoping for an explanation.

“Ah, Minseok hasn't really been speaking Korean for a long time, so he has forgotten most of it. I shall then serve as your translator for now, until his Korean improves. He was asking whether the two of you could tell him why you guys are here and whether the two of you are friends?

Please log in to read the full chapter