11

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2024 (Spring) – Day 992

“Promise.”

A whisper of an empty promise left your lips as your insides curled. You had never lied to Jongin before, never made promises that you couldn't keep. But right now, what he needed wasn't honesty but a simple reassurance that only you could offer.

Hearing that, he hurried back to the group, entwining his hand with Sehun’s smaller one as you looked on with a forced smile. Waving at you one last time, he smiled sadly as he turned around, heading through the door. Biting your lip, you held back your scream, the scream that was threatening to escape, for him to come back and not leave anywhere.

You looked up as Baekhyun threw you one last stare, his eyes soft withholding a promise as he too headed out the door. The door shut with a soft thud, and three of you were the only ones left in the room. With that, you fell to the floor, feeling warm tears fall on your hand as you sobbed sadly.

“Are you alright?” Luhan asked softly, coming behind you as he draped one arm over your shoulder protectively. Nodding slightly, you leant back slightly into his arms as he patted your shoulder comfortingly, knowing the pain that engulfed you the moment Jongin walked out the door. Right now, he was probably the only one who really understood what you felt at this point, since you knew that the pain and sadness engulfed him as well.

Luhan had a tight bond with Sehun, and you knew that it pained him as well, even though the elder boy hid his emotions from the rest of you. He knew that if he showed weakness and sadness on his face, Sehun would break down crying, and the plan would be halted midway. It was the strength in his eyes and his actions that had comforted Sehun, giving him the power to remain calm, something you failed to instill in Jongin.

But no matter how much he pretended, the pain and worry were present all the same, a similar reflection in both your eyes.

“Two minutes till the last three bombs go off,” Yi-en reminded as the four of you nodded grimly, with you wiping your eyes as you let Luhan wrap his arms tightly around you. At 12:16, three bombs in the courtyard would go off and that would the cue for you, Yi-en and Luhan to leave. This was the last phase of the plan, before all of you were finally free.

“We opened the door and we are now in the tunnel.” A soft familiar voice came through the necklace around your necks as you heaved a collective sigh of relief. The first pair had accomplished their mission and they were probably safe now that they were in the tunnel leading to the outside. There were members of the Organization waiting outside for all of you, which practically guaranteed their safety.

Three less people to worry about.

With a glance at the necklace around his neck for the time, Yi-en nodded to himself, picking up the black tablet he had placed on the table. Taking a hold of all your belongings including the stolen map, he ignited it quickly, dropping a few drops of the yellow reflecti liquid.

As the items went up in flames, he gestured for all of you to leave as a loud blast echoed from the courtyard, catching you by surprise. A soothing hand rested on the small of your back as Luhan smiled down at you, his grin albeit tense as you nodded, grateful for his concern. Offering a hand, he pulled you up as you brushed down your shorts that had gotten a little marred from the dirt on the floor.

“It’s time, let’s go,” Yi-en ordered, as the three of you headed out of the room, your hand tightly clasping onto Yi-en’s. You didn't fail to notice the trembling of the elder boy’s hand, no matter how tightly he gripped it into a fist. A sigh graced upon your lips, there was nothing much you could do at this point other than offering him a warm reassuring squeeze. Reaching towards your head, he ruffled your hair, giving you a comforting smile while pecking you on the top of your head out of habit.

With Luhan leading the front, the three of you hurried through the empty corridors, thankful that your distraction plans had worked. Pushing you slightly forward to walk between the two of them, Yi-en guarded the flank, trailing behind, as he glanced around quickly with every few steps you guys took.

“We’re almost there, about three corridors left,” Yi-en notified, counting silently in his head as you nodded, your expression still anxious. It was too early to relax, three corridors were ample, more than enough for unexpected problems to occur.  Three corridors were plenty, for guards to spring on you and thwart your plan. You hardly needed complacency at this point where you were so near to freedom.

“Here, we split up, I’ll go this way and you two the other,” Yi-en pointed as you nodded, heading towards the said direction. It was at that moment that a faint crackle could be heard from your necklaces.

“There’s a slight problem, the four boys are not where we thought they were, Yixing and Joonmyeon are at the area closest to the tunnel, whilst Jongdae and Minseok are at where we thought they were. The three of you have to split up,” a foreign voice crackled over the speaker softly as Yi-en groaned, running his fingers through his hair. Contemplating for a few moments, he sighed as he turned to you, placing his hands on your shoulders.

“Eun, can you do it?” He asked quietly, his tone serious as you gave a small nod slowly. You had no other choice really and you had to get them out, the original leader and the peace-loving older boy.

“Or could you go to find Baekhyun and switch out with him? It’s too dangerous for you,” Yi-en started to ramble on as you placed a finger on his lips, silencing him. You knew that he was thinking for your sake, but for Baekhyun to come to take your place was far too dangerous and you treasured him too, too much for you to let him sacrifice himself for you.

“Trust me Yi-en, don’t worry too much,” you smiled fondly at him as he hesit

Please log in to read the full chapter