18

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Gangnam, Seoul – Korea, Year 2025 (Spring) – Day 7

Numbness. Disorientation. Confusion.

An electrifying shudder ran through your body, causing your eyes to snap open in shock. Gasping slightly, you struggled to sit up, your eyes scanning the unfamiliar surroundings. An uneasy feeling washed over you while your stomach twisted. But somehow, you felt safe, and warm. A large floor length glass door framed by a white flushed wooden frame with intricate carvings, allowed sunlight to stream into the room.

The monochrome-themed room was a mixture of gradients from black to white, sleek and modern. A black marble table stood in one corner of the room, the specks of silver within the surface glittering when sunlight reflected off the surface. The walls were a beautiful grainy grey, with underlying hues of blue and pink. Despite the morose colors, you felt safe, protected and warm.

You were lying on a soft mattress, with a thick comforter wrapped carefully around you. A set of weird glowing rings was on your left arm, at the upper arm, just below the elbow and at your wrist. You had never seen this device before and while touching it gingerly, realized it was warm to the touch. Cool patches were pasted at different areas of your chest and torso beneath the loose shirt that was draped over you. Every half a minute or so, the patch grew colder and contracted slightly before returning to its original state.

A sudden ruffling of the bed sheets startled you, causing to turn towards the source of the sound frantically. Upon seeing a soft mop of black hair contrasting with the white bed sheets, you relaxed visibly. The boy was sound asleep, his head tilted to one side as he breathed out steadily. The sunrays were shining on his hair, causing the red tinges to stand out.

“Yifan,” you breathed out his name in relief, feeling the anxiety leave your body. Lifting your uninjured hand, you brushed your fingers through his hair, a smile appearing softly on your lips. It had been ages since you last saw him, but the features he possessed since three years ago remained. The way his forehead crinkled slightly whenever he slept, or the scar above his eyebrow left as a memoir after a rough game of hide-and-seek.

Pressing the crinkled space between his eyebrows gingerly, you watched alarmed as he began to stir. His eyes opened slowly before he raised a hand to shield the sunrays. Blinking repetitively, he focused his sight as he sat up, yawning.

“I fell asleep,” he murmured softly, still not fully awake. Looking around the room, you watched him quietly as his eyes fell upon your face, albeit shocked. A slow smile drawled upon his face before a soft chuckle came upon his lips. Leaning over, he ruffled your air fondly, before tracing one hand down your cheek.

“You’re awake,” he stated, a rush of emotions appearing within his hazel-brown eyes. Nodding slightly, you smiled bashfully. He looked tired, with faint eye-bags beneath his eyes that crinkled when he smiled. His hair was tousled messily from sleep and the white shirt he wore was ruffled slightly.

“Yifan,” you greeted whilst he merely chuckled in response. Reaching over, you grasped his larger hand tightly, causing the smile on his face to widen.

“How long was I out?” You questioned softly, watching him count mentally in his head before raising seven fingers. Seven days meant that you had missed the start of the new year, and that it was now 2025. After a few more explanations from the boy, you managed to gather from him that you had a broken left elbow, and a few broken ribs that were currently healing. When you had first arrived at the house, they had done emergency treatment on you; using the advanced medical technology they possessed to speed up your cell proliferation, allowing the wounds to heal faster and the broken bones to mend themselves.

“When I found you, you were in a horrible state, it was a miracle that you had made it so far. I carried you all the way to the outside, and you were so light. You are suffering from severe malnutrition, all of you actually,” he quipped calmly. The fragmented memories in your mind began to piece themselves together causing to jump up slightly.

“Yi-en, how is he? Is he –“ you stopped mid-sentence, unable to utter that word. To your relief, Yifan shook his head slightly. “He’s fine, injured but alive. He woke up just this morning,” he smiled, brushing your hair with his hand, comfortingly. A torrent of emotions ran through your mind, causing a wave of giddiness to wash over you. As if he was able to read your mind, Yifan pushed firmly on your forehead using a finger, forcing you back onto your pillow.

“For now, rest, you can see that troublemaker later. Did you know that he woke up looking for you, and totally disregarded me? Some things don’t change,” he shook his head, not amused whilst a smile lit up on your face. Closing your eyes with that new piece of information, you allowed your mind to rest, and to fall asleep, into a deep and comfortable sleep you haven’t had in a long time.

Gangnam, Seoul – Korea, Year 2025 (Spring) – Day 8

“Noona!” A loud shout woke you from your sleep before a heavy weight jumped onto your bed, causing the springs in the mattress to squeak alarmingly. Opening your eyes sleepily, you saw the blurry outline of a boy before he crashed into your chest, causing you to wince slightly in pain. When you realized who it was, a smile grew on your face as you wrapped your arms around the younger boy, ignoring the throb of pain he caused.

“Sehun,” you chuckled as the usually silent boy beamed happily in response. Next to him, Kyungsoo sat cross-legged next to him on the bed as Baekhyun nodded his greeting from the foot of your bed. Ruffling their hairs, you turned your attention to the youngest boy, who was tugging on your sleeve.

“Eun noona, how does it feel to sleep for a week?” Sehun asked cutely, honestly intrigued by the answer as you resisted the urge to laugh. “Like sleeping,” you answered honestly causing a pout to form on his lips, not satisfied with the answer he received. To be honest, you had no idea what it felt like either. It was a dreamless sleep you had for the past week, and there was no other way to describe it, other than the simplistic way you already had.

A soft shuffling of feet was hear

Please log in to read the full chapter