15

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2024 (Spring) – Day 992

Jongin’s POV

“I hate you, Eun noona, I hate you,” the words escaped your mouth, scornful and hate-filled. Edging backwards, you slapped her outstretched hand away forcefully, not wanting her to lay another hand on you. You felt sickened and annoyed, your mouth twisted crookedly to one side, utterly disgusted by her actions.

She hit you, the only person you trusted more than yourself, had laid hands on you. Eunkyung noona had never hit you before, not even when you caused trouble with Sehun, or when Luhan hyung was tempted to smack the two of you for your disobedience. Your noona had always been the one helping you and supporting you, stopping Luhan when he got angry.

But yet. But now she was the one hitting you.

“Jongin, I –“ she started, reaching out to you as you stepped backwards, disgusted. You watched as she swallowed her words, dropping her hand back to her side as she closed her eyes. After a few moments, she looked up, her eyes digging into yours as you flinched at the coldness that replaced the usual warmth in her eyes.

“That’s good,” she whispered, her answer catching you off-guard as you stared at her with a flabbergasted expression.

“Good?” You repeated in disbelief as she nodded her head, repeating the word, which to you implied anything but its actual meaning, rather the synonym in your mind was closer to its contrasting opposite. Gaping at her in disbelief, you watched as she ran her hand through her disheveled hair, rolling her eyes slightly as she stared down at you, almost with what seemed like annoyance in her eyes.

“You have no idea how annoying it’s been, dealing with you and your childishness. Whining about everything, crying about everything. It’s so burdensome, and hearing you say you hate me, such lifts such burdens off my shoulders,” she answered drily, staring at you with such scorn and hate that you couldn't bear to stay there anymore.

Leaving her where she sat on the floor, leaning against the wall, you shook your head, wet tears sticky on your cheeks as you turned, and ran. Running as far away as possible, you shook your head repeatedly, urging those hateful words she muttered to get out of your head.

“Stop it, stop, stop, stop,” you cried out, to no one in particular as you felt tears drip down to your hand as you halted in your step, crouching into a squat as you hugged your knees with your arms. You were a burden, a burden that she hated, which she was relieved to get rid of. These part few years, all you had been to her, was an annoying speck of dust, which annoyed her to no end.

But here you were, doing exactly what she hated you for. Here you were, crying your eyes out at something she said. It was true after all, all you had been was a whining, crying brat who exasperated and irritated others.

Standing up, you rubbed at your eyes harshly, determined to stop crying. You would prove her wrong, you would show her that you were made of better and bigger things, that these past few years, you hadn’t spent all your time crying, that you weren’t just an itch on her side. You would prove her wrong.

Sniffing slightly, you rubbed your eyes again; ignoring the fact that it was probably red and swollen with all the force you applied. Trudging back towards the door of the courtyard, you remembered what she said. Luhan and Mark hyung should be waiting for you there, ready to bring you back to safety. She probably hated them too, finding them annoyances just like she found you. They probably hated her just like you did.

Reaching the door, you heard relentless banging as you ran the last few steps, pulling the bar open as the door swung open with such force. Looking up, you stared into Luhan’s worried eyes as he reached over, hugging you with other hand as he stared you up and down, inspecting you for possible injuries. Satisfied, he crouched down to your level, and stared into your eyes with what seemed like desperation.

“Jongin, are you alright?” He asked worriedly, as you nodded solemnly, watching from the corner of your eye as Yi-en squatted down next to you, ruffling your hair with a seemingly relieved expression. Nodding slightly, Luhan refocused his eyes on you as he placed his hands on your shoulder firmly.

“Jongin, where’s Eunkyung?” He asked urgently, his eyes darting around as you scoffed, looking down as you shuffled your feet against the dusty floor. So he was worried for her after all, even though she was mean and a liar. He still cared for her after all. A twitch at the side of your eye, you bit your lip, pressing down the worry that was growing in you as well.

“I don’t care, I hate her,” you answered angrily, allowing the anger to overcome the worry that was starting to rise up. You hated her, you hated how she was able to say such hurting words so easily, how she could stare at you with eyes filled with so much disdain and hate. You hated that while she had been the center of your world for these past few years, all you were to her, was a burden, an annoyance.

Slap. A burning slap to your left cheek shocked you as you stared up at him in disbelief, feeling the tears gathering in your

Please log in to read the full chapter