9

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2023 (Winter) – Day 943

“All of you have this same pendant because your parents gave them to you at one point in time or another,” Yi-en said softly as he picked the said accessory off the floor, his thumb running over its glossy black surface, a wisp of a smile on his face.

Reaching towards you, he gestured for you to pass him your necklace as you complied, a hesitant and reluctant expression on your face as you watched him flip the necklace over, tracing his finger around the back of it. “Found it,” he murmured suddenly to himself, a small crooked smile on his face as he rested his finger on an area at the back of the pendant.

Placing it down on his lap gently, Yi-en removed a thin ring of metal on his left index finger, making a snapping motion as the ring straightened into a thin metal needle, with edges jagged like that of a key. It resembled a small key-like needle, with its length no longer than half a finger.

The room was in silence as they stared at him, waiting with bated breaths for him to take his next step. Picking up the necklace, he looked for the area with ease before jabbing the needle into the back of the pendant as your eyes widened in horror, pursing your lips as you resisted the urge to scream. It was the last memento that you had from your parents and it would be devastating if it were ruined.

But to your surprise, the thin metal needle disappeared into the pendant as he rotated it in the clockwise direction before turning it the other way. Pulling out the needle with a swift motion, he made a reverse snapping motion as it formed back into a ring, which he wore back on his finger.

Turning the pendant around such that the diamond was facing the top, he gently placed it on the floor as he pressed the diamond in the center down with a soft click. 

“Why isn’t this working? I’m sure I did it right,” Yi-en mumbled under his breath, fiddling with the pendant with an annoyed expression on his face. The rest of you exchanged weird looks as you stared at him with raised eyebrows, wondering whether he had really gone crazy.

A suddenly crackling sound like static caught your attention as you turned slightly, facing him as he clapped his hands in satisfaction, before leaning back against the bed as all of you stared at the pendant with renewed interest.

“Mark, is that you? Can you hear me well?” A voice suddenly spoke as all of you jumped up, stunned by the foreign voice which was suddenly in the room. Directing your gaze towards the boy who had a smug smile on his face, you stared at him, willing him to offer any explanation as he chuckled.

“Yes, father, I hear you loud and clear,” Yi-en said breezily as your eyes widened in shock. The voice belonged to Yi-en’s father? With a flicker, a three-dimensional projection came into view, confirming your predictions. An older man, his hair a grayish-black, appeared on the screen as you shook your head slightly, blinking your eyes in shock.

“Uncle Wu?” You asked quietly, in disbelief as you watched the said man turn slightly, acknowledging you with wide eyes.

“Eunkyung, my dear child. Deo gratias. Deo gratias,” he greeted, his eyes filled with remorse yet relief. Smiling kindly with the corner of his eyes crinkling slightly, you watched as he scanned the room, an expression of relief washing over his face. He was still faintly handsome despite his older age, a hint towards his appearance during his heydays.

“I see some familiar faces I haven’t seen in a while, Luhan, Jongin, Sehun, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Chanyeol. For that, I am thankful, eternally thankful to see you safe. I hope that Mark has explained to you how things are like?” He said, his tone gentle as he turned his head towards his son who avoided his father’s gaze, a slight pout on his face.

“Who do you think I am? I explained to them about who their parents were, why they are here and how we were going to break them out. Wasn't that all you and hyung asked me to explain? If you were so distrusting, why didn't you just send him?” He asked crossly, slightly off-put by the lack of trust as you placed your arm calmly on his shoulder, urging him to relax.

If Yi-en had a flaw, it would be his inferiority complex towards his older brother, who in anyone’s eyes, exuded perfection. His older brother had always given off a calm and understanding aura, with a character that never judged others, and depended solely on his impression and judgment. Yi-en, on the other hand, contrasted greatly with his elder brother’s character, and was affixed with the thought that he would never be good enough.

Strangely, the inferiority complex of the younger never got between the two. As brothers, they were tight and trusting of each other, and rarely fought. Other than the occasional tantrum that Yi-en threw, their relationship was almost perfect, with the calm and analytical older brother balancing out the rash and easy-going younger boy.

“You know that’s not what I meant. Speaking of which, your hyung was getting worried about you though, and wants me to remind you to protect Eunkyung,” his father said in an understanding tone as Yi-en harrumphed, slightly annoyed. “I would have done so anyways, why is he always a worrywart,” Yi-en mumbled under his breath as you poked his side, warning him to cut out his rude behavior.

“Ahjusshi, do you know us?” Luhan suddenly asked as you looked up, realization dawning upon you that none of them actually recognized this elder man, who strangely knew all of them by name. The man chuckled slightly, as he used one hand to run through his hair.

“I was so caught up talking to them that I forgot to introduce myself. I apologize whole-heartedly. I am Wu Jiafu, and I am Yi-e

Please log in to read the full chapter