17

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2024 (Spring) – Day 992

“Did you forget Eun? I told you that I would die to protect you, and Luhan possesses a major part of your heart. Without him, a part of you would die. That’s why I am willing to die in his place. For you,” Yi-en whispered, a fond smile gracing his handsome face as he coughed weakly. Turning his head towards Luhan, he attempted a cheeky smile as he raised his hand, wanting Luhan to grab it in his.

“I know we had differences in the past, but you have to know that I don't hate you. You just reminded me too much of myself. Like poles repel after all. Promise me, promise me that you will take care of Eun when I’m gone,” he insisted feebly as Luhan shook his head in defiance, his eyes boring into the other male’s.

“You’re not going anywhere. You said that you saved me for Eun, but you possess a major part of Eun’s heart too. So don't be an idiot and die now. You need to survive for us to continue having differences. Don't you dare die, you idiot,” he scolded, his eyes starting to fill with glossy tears as he nagged at the older boy who simply gave a pathetic smile.

His eyes seemed so lifeless, as if he had given up on everything. Had he already accepted the fact that he was going to die? Why did his eyes have the calm and serenity of an elderly man who had lived through everything and experienced all that he could have? Was this the price you had to pay for being alive? Giving up another person to Death to maintain the delicate balance?

“Yi-en, please, please don't close your eyes. You can’t leave me, please Yi-en,” you begged hysterically as his eyelids grew heavy, shutting slowly as your eyes widened in fear. The moment his eyes shut and he fell asleep, it would all be over. Raising your hand, you backhanded him, slapping his cheek harshly as Yi-en opened his eyes tiredly, giving you a frail smile.  

“I’m tired, Eun, I’m just really tired. You have to let me go, it’s over,” he smiled sadly, his teeth a pale shade of red as blood began to seep through a corner of his mouth. Shaking your head insolently, you refused to accept his words, as you stared helplessly at Luhan. You begged him with your eyes, to do something, anything, anything to keep Yi-en alive.

It wasn't over. It wasn't over till you said so.

“Eun, we have to go, the bomb is ticking,” Luhan reminded softly from the side as you shook your head, refusing to leave Yi-en in his current state. Staring up at you, Yi-en mouthed weakly as you closed your eyes, refusing to hear the words in your mind. He wanted you to leave him behind, to save yourself, since there was no hope left for him.

“Help him on my back. I know that there’s no way you would leave him behind, so drape him on my back, and we’ll all leave together,” Luhan finally decided as you nodded. Wiping your tears with one hand, you stood up shakily, reaching gently over Yi-en’s body as you straightened him up to a seating position. Luhan squatted down in front of him as you adjusted him cautiously.

Slowly, Luhan stood up, leaning forward slightly as he adjusted Yi-en to a more comfortable position. Nodding his head, he gestured for you to follow him with a of his neck as you hesitated, running over to where the three blades lay abandoned. Sweeping them into your arms, you jogged slowly towards Luhan as the three of you left the courtyard quickly.

As you closed the courtyard door behind you, you heaved a silent sigh of relief as you followed behind Luhan closely. You could feel your energy depleting quickly, the sharp end of your broken rib pressing into your lung as breathing became harder and harder. Your breaths were getting shorter, and it became increasingly difficult to breathe in deeply.

A loud bang in the distance caused the building to rock around you as a few shelves shook. The bomb in the courtyard had finally gone off, probably blasting whatever was left after the first explosion into smithereens. You shuddered slightly, thinking of the grotesque possibility that you hadn’t escaped in time. Being in the radius of the blast would probably have…

Shaking that thought out of your mind, you hurried after Luhan, using one hand to support your wounded side. You could feel your breaths getting shallower, the pain in your side increasing by the second. It was unbearably painful. Trickles of cold sweat poured down your forehead as you winced, feeling your fingers turn cold as you grip them into tight fists.

“Are you alright?” Luhan questioned worriedly from the front as you gave a nod, a forced smile plastered on your face. Luhan had to talk to Yi-en continuously, to keep his mind working and to not let him fall asleep. By introducing incessant verbal stimuli, combined with the occasional tap on his shoulder, it kept Yi-en drowsy but awake.

His face was pale and an ashen grey, his shirt stained through with blood as wound on his chest remained untreated. After Luhan’s feeble attempts to staunch the wound, blood had finally stopped flowing out of the wound like an undammed river and had seemingly started to clot. That gave you guys a little more time for him to receive medical attention, but that didn't excuse the fact that he probably lost a lot of blood by now.

Your mind wandered, thinking of the events that had just transpired and at the same time, keeping your mind off the pain that stabbed at you continuously. You had many unanswered questions, many things that you wanted to ask Luhan, many questions you wanted to ask Yi-en. So many questions yet so little answers.

“Han ge, why do you hate Yi-en?” You pondered softly, almost inaudibly as you heard the boy give out a little sigh, a clear sign that he had heard your question. He remained silent for a moment, not answering your question as you heard him sigh once more. Seeing the troubled expression on his face caused a tinge of regret to travel down your spine. But a tinge of regret meant little when compared to the curiosity that ate at your conscience.

“I don't hate him,” Luhan finally said, choosing his words carefully as you

Please log in to read the full chapter