4

Runes of Despair [Unlocked]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon – Korea, Year 2023 (Winter) – Day 943

“I’m disappointed in you, Park Eunkyung. What happened to the girl who used to follow me around, pestering me to play with her? I recognized you the moment I laid eyes on you, but how about you? Did I change so much that you no longer recognize me? Don't you remember me?” he asked in disbelief. Your eyes widened as the familiar voice sounded in the air. Whipping your head around, you stared at him in astonishment.

“I mean, I probably so much better looking now as compared to my brother, so much that I dazzle the life out of you, but the least you could do was to remember me. I’m disappointed… did I have to tie a bow on my head and hide in a present box like some screwed up clown toy for you to remember my existence? I’m absolutely disgusted – oomph,” he complained with a frown as you ran forward, wrapping your arms around his waist tightly, cutting him off mid-sentence.

“Yi-en gege,” you sobbed, burying your face in his shirt as he chuckled softly, bringing one hand behind your head, bringing you nearer to him. With his other hand, he rubbed your shoulders comfortingly, engulfing you within his embrace. It had been more than three years since you last laid eyes on him and his brother. The two brothers had been your closest playmates ever since you were a child; frequently coming over to visit and every time they had to go, it always left you in tears.

Rubbing your back softly, you felt his hand graze over your wounds, causing you to jump up in pain. With a puzzled expression, he glanced at you, slightly confused by your sudden reaction. It was almost akin to a reflex action, the kind of reaction one made when touching a hot iron.

“Is something wrong, Eun?” he asked confusedly whilst you shook your head, rubbing your arms nervously. With a wry glance, he turned you around, gasping slightly as he ran his fingers down the cuts that were beginning to bleed through your white shirt.

“Which did this?” he whispered dangerously, his hand curling into a fist. With a silent shake of your head, you wrapped your hand around his to calm you down. His eyes widened, his lips pursed into a thin line as he shook his head, unable to comprehend why you were so accepting of the situation you were in.

“I came too late, didn't I?” he murmured forlornly, inciting no response from you.

He had come too late.

If he had came earlier, things could have been different, things could have been better. Less scars, less bad memories, less torture. If either of them had arrived just a little earlier, perhaps the hope you once held would still be here. Maybe the hope would not have withered into nothing but empty taunts.

Feeling a soft tug on your shirt, you turned around, seeing Kyungsoo look at you curiously. In your excitement of seeing Yi-en again, Kyungsoo’s presence had slipped your mind entirely. Seeing the utter confusion on his face, you smiled slightly, pulling the elder boy forward, wanting to introduce him to the younger child.

“And who is this pipsqueak? He’s only at your shoulder,” Yi-en smirked slightly, tracing Kyungsoo’s height with his right hand as he drew a line from the top of his head to your shoulder, in his bid to emphasize how short the boy was.

“Yah. Stop being so mean. It’s no wonder I liked your brother more,” you stuck your tongue out, earning you an eye roll for your childishness. Ruffling your hair softly, he stuck his hand out towards the other boy as an impish grin adorned his handsome face.

“What’s your name kid? I’m Mark Tuan, or you can call me Yi-en. I’m this noisy girl’s oppa, you can call me Mark hyung,” he introduced as the younger boy took his hand in his, shaking it hesitantly, his eyes guarded.

“His character is a little different from your other hyungs but he’s a good guy don’t worry,” you assured him, smiling when you saw Kyungsoo grip his hand more firmly, shaking it with more energy, with admiration now on his face.

“My name is Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo. Nice to meet you, Mark hyung.”

It was slightly after twelve when the lights in the skies crackled slightly, with the now familiar projection cutting through the sunrays in the skies above. The sun was now perpendicularly above your heads, shining brightly despite the cold winter air blowing through the grounds.

“The games for today has ended with five young talents losing their lives during the fight for a better future,” the head of the guards announced, a mock expression of pity on his face as the projection changed to show the faces of the five children that had died. You held your breath nervously, wringing your hands while watching the different faces scroll through.

This was always the most nerve-wrecking part of this sick game, preparing yourselves for the worst in case any of your family didn’t make it, despite the strategies that the elder members had drawn out and planned. As you blink back tears of nervousness, you bit your lip, feeling ashamed at the relief and glee that you felt when the last unfamiliar face was shown, pausing for a few moments before the annoying face of the head guard came back into view.

“Three lucky children have also been granted a chance to be part of the Royal Forces. Kim Eunsik, Lee Nayoung and Park Minho. The rest of you may head back to your rooms. Afternoon work is cancelled for the day.” The announcement ended as the projection ceased, just as yo

Please log in to read the full chapter