Chapter 6

Springtime Flowers

    Luhan waltzed inside his house, making dinner in a state of absolute bliss. He’d never felt this happy before, maybe it was the exhilarating feeling of playing soccer with his peers, or the fact that he’d scored their team the winning goal, or the thought that he might get to be on the actual soccer team. Or maybe, maybe it was that smile from Sehun and the words ‘good job’ rang through his head again. He put his hand to his cheek, and he could still feel tingles from touching Sehun’s hand. He giggled and spun around the kitchen feeling giddy. It had occurred to him that he’d never felt this happy before about something a friend had done but he brushed it off. None of his friends had ever seemed to actively dislike him before either.

    By the time his parents got home he was already in his room, and though he should have been studying he was just lying on his bed, staring at his hand and replaying the moment over and over in his mind in between rushes of happiness and fits of giggles.

    His father suddenly opened the door and Luhan sat up hurriedly, composing his face.

    “What’s going on in here? Is there something funny to you about your grades? If you have time to laugh about things you aren’t trying hard enough!”

    “I’m sorry...” Luahn apologized looking at his mattress.

“Please stop fooling around, it’s going to cost you.” His father left, shutting the door behind him a little too forcefully.

Luhan knew he should feel bad, his father was right, he wasn’t trying hard enough and he was being lazy, just laying around, but he didn’t. All he felt was the same exhilarating feeling as before, when he thought of Sehun, and he covered his mouth to keep from giggling again.

He did pull out his books though, but somehow it was much harder to concentrate on his work today.  

 

Sehun was helping his mother make dinner for the first time and although he should have been paying close attention to her instructions, he was not. His mind was elsewhere with a certain tiny angel, smiling and playing soccer. He hadn’t expected Luhan to be any good, but he was. He had seemed to have endless energy and was alway there in the right place at the right time. Although Sehun himself had scored two out of their four goals Luhan was always the one who passed him the ball before his shot. And that winning shot was just beautiful, more beautiful because watching Luhan’s dazzling smile afterwards was the best thing Sehun had ever seen.

“Sehun watch what you’re doing, you almost cut yourself!” His mother scolded and Sehun snapped out of his daydreams.

“Why don’t you go watch TV or something, I think your mind is a little too preoccupied for cooking today.” His mother took the knife from him and he sighed.

“Sorry, are you sure you don’t want me to help? I’ll try to pay better attention.” His mother just ruffled his hair.

“Run along now.”

He flopped over on the sofa and wondered what Luhan was doing now. He bet that Luhan knew how to cook too, since he’d made that cupcake afterall. He bet Luhan was an amazing cook, someday maybe he’d get to eat a meal Luhan prepared for him. He could picture it now, “Welcome home darling! I made you your favourite beef dish!” Luahn was wearing a frilly apron. “I hope it turned out well...” He was lifting a forkful of it up to Sehun’s mouth, “Say ah.”

Good lord, he needed to stop these weird fantasies. He rolled onto his stomach and smiled to himself. At least he’d managed to say something nice to his fairy today. If he could only keep this up they’d be friends in no time! Maybe he should make a gift for Luhan, to repay him for the cupcake. He didn’t really know how to cook at all and knew how to bake even less so that was out. He couldn’t draw and writing something would be weird. He tired to think of something he knew how to make.

Then he had an idea, he’d made paper carnations for his brother’s graduations ceremony before, it wouldn’t be weird to give Luhan paper flowers would it? Yes, it probably would be. I just won’t tell him who they’re from, I’ll leave them on his desk. Oh that’s good.

Sehun spent the rest of the evening making a bouquet of pink and white paper carnations, finally he tied them with a silk bow and left a note tied to it. He went to bed feeling satisfied with his work and excited to watch Luhan’s reaction to the gift.