.six

The Odd Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.six

I told myself that I wouldn’t care, that whatever other people’s businesses are I wouldn’t even bother trying to help them. It had always been that way since I was little. But the moment I saw Luhan, all blooded and bruised, limping from the dark alleyway with much difficulty—I screwed every little bit of logic I had just to run and help him.

“What the hell were you doing?” I hiss, slinging his arm over my shoulder so I could support him.

Luhan simply gives me a lopsided grin as a greeting, looking down shamefully a moment later while croaking a soft “thanks”. I didn’t even bother to respond anymore as we walked (or more like limped, I don’t know) downtown.

“We need to get you treated,” I brush my hands over his black eye, frowning. He freezes a bit, cringing, but doesn’t make a move. I took this as a sign that he agrees with me. “Come on, my house should be just a few blocks away. It’s not that far.”

Mom was folding our laundry while watching something about cosmetics and other fake stuff sold on TV when I got home. She looked pretty much surprised when we entered. I told her about how I found Luhan on the way home and that I’ll need her to get the medical kit to treat him.

“Oh you poor thing,” she said, shaking her head. “I’ll get you some spare clothes, too. You can’t stay in those bloody clothes forever. I’m sure my husband’s would fit you.”

“Thank you so much.”

She disappears a little later without even bothering to ask me about anything. It felt a bit weird. Usually when I bring people home she’d be interrogating me even worse than the police. Maybe it’s because Luhan badly needed help right now.

“What happened?” I asked as soon as Mom disappeared. “Did you get into a fight?”

“K-kinda.” I knew for one that Luhan doesn’t seem to be the type to fight people. He looks too weak to even throw a punch. “T-there were guys hitting on Haneul s-so I…argued with them.”

Oh. Haneul.

For some reason, I didn’t feel like asking anymore and simply waited for Mom instead.

XXX

Mom asked Luhan if he wanted to join us for dinner. At first he said no, explaining that he’s becoming too much of a burden already, but after his stomach let out what seemed to be a growl, she immediately dragged him to the dinner table, refusing to accept no as an answer, and placed different kinds of side dishes in front of him.

Basically it was a feast—but for Luhan, only.

Minhyun, my father, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter