Chapter 2 - The Kris I Just Know

When Kris Chose His Bride

Chappy2:The Kris I Just Know

 

The birthday party ends with fireworks in the nightsky. The birthday girl, EunA falls asleep when the fireworks were booming in the sky. She is in her mother's embrace, hugging her mother tightly. We are all at the backyard watching the splendid show that sparks in the dark. The kids are amazed and other are awed. Except for me. I look at EunA the most of the time. My cousin showers her with love and I can predict that everyone admires her family. Her husband works at the bank and my cousin is a young dentist. Although they are busy, EunA is still their priority and from what I see, she is growing up well.

 

It makes me think about my current situation. I am still young and graduated from highschool 2 years ago. After a year, I just stayed at home before becoming a freelance painter. My income is not stable and with that kind of money I earn, I can't even rent a small apartment. I am quite lucky as my parents are always there for me, helping me as much as they can. I can only paint but I am not the best painter out there. There are thousands of painters at  my age who are better than me. So, competition is quite challenging. Plus, I do not know how to cook except for instant noodles and simple fried food. Mom does the laudries and cooks everyday and Dad is still working to support our family. The only thing I do is cleaning my room. And my parents want me to get married?

 

Just now, Dad purposely asked Kris why he wants to marry me. Kris looked into my eyes and said that I was beautiful. I was supposed to be shy and looked away but I did not. I kept my dull eyes into his and he looked into mine. His lips formed a straight line, as if he was reading my mind.

He knows that I am not ready.

 

 

 

A month after the party ended, Kris comes to visit my parents frequently. But still, I never give a chance for him to talk to me. Even my parents give some spaces for Kris to approach me but I push him away. Every night, Mom would be inside my room, combing my hair. She would praise and tell me how much she loves me. Sometimes, Dad is here too, telling me all the things Kris says about me. Mom is right. Kris is a nice guy. But I can't think of anything right now.

Tonight is different. Mom and Dad stop coming to my room before I go to sleep. Instead, they give me a small, red velvet box.

A ring. Shishh.

"Darling, make the right decision and whatever you decide, I always trust you," Mom kisses my forehead and left to her room. I close the door and lay on my bed with the box in my hand. Out of my expectation, when I open the box, it is not a ring. It is just a small piece of paper  and there are some words scribble on it.

I want you to paint our life.

The words struck me. Never in my whole life a guy would write this kind of words to me. Well, there was one when I was 11. He wrote a huge 'I LOVE YOU' in a card and called me Princess. But that was a long time ago. Puppy love. Now, it is different. Kris asks for a marriage. A responsibility that I could not guarantee if I can hold it together with Kris until we die.

I need to talk to him.

Without hesitation, I make my way to my parent's room and ask for Kris's phone number. Mom is quite surprised but when she sees my urgent looks, she immediately hands me Kris's number on a piece of paper. I dial his number on my way to the kitchen. He does not pick up and I quickly fasten my pace to the garden behind my house. I call him again and thankfully, he picks up.

"Hello?" A husky voice rings in my ears.

"Urm, Kris. This is Hana speaking," My voice trembles.

"Oh! Hi, Hana," 

He sounds happy.

"Are you busy, Kris?" I ask.

"Not at all,”

“I have some questions to ask, if you mind,”

“Sure, sure. Ask me anything you desire,” Okay, here goes nothing.

Just ask him.

“How do you know me and why do you like me? And to be honest, I am a lazy girl and I don’t cook and I don’t do house chores and I am just a painter. I have no love experience and I can be very annoying sometimes. I don’t talk a lot and I might ignore you,“ Fast and straight to the point. I can feel that he is smiling on the other side with my sudden call.

“Well, I know you from your dad. He always talks about you. Praising you and even tell my father about your insecurities and your laziness. I don’t care if you are lazy, you don’t cook or you don’t do chores. I don’t care if you are a painter. I like you because you are you. Your dad is proud of you and if you can make your dad and your mom happy, I know you will do the same to me. I realize at the party that you are quite an introverted person and you do ignore me but I don’t care. Why? Because I know, you will open up to me when you are ready and from my experience, a person like you is a loyal one,”

“Oh,” Those words are beautiful. Again, I am awestruck. Damn, he is good with words.

“But actually I don’t like you. I have never like you from the bottom of my heart. I swear,”

“Ahh, oh I-i didn't know that” I stutter at his statement. 

“Hahaha, silly girl. The moment your dad talks about you, I just keep falling in love with you,”

This guy is making my heart flutters. He is good with words.

“Is this really Kris?” I ask unknowingly.

“Hahaha, yes, Hana. I AM Kris. The one who ask you to paint our life,”

“But I’m not pretty,” I whisper.

“You just have to be beautiful to me and honestly, you are beautiful,”

“What will you do if I say no?” Unknowingly, I ask.

“If it is because you love other guy, I will stop and move on. But if it is not, I will just wait then,”

Then, there is silence. A tear slips down my cheek and turn around to see my parents at the back door that leads to the garden. He is too nice for me. Too much of kindness makes me feel guilty. What if one day I cheat on him? Or left the house because of some ridiculous arguements? What if I just can't love him?

“What if you are not actually ready?”

“I was a bit worried last time to ask you for marriage. But I gathered my thoughts for years and asked your dad and my parents if I was really ready. They never answer my questions but your dad is a wise man. He told me when a man is ready, only he knows himself. And now, I’m ready to take this responsibilities. I trust myself,”

Oh my God, how can a guy like him would like me? Why do you have to like me so much, Kris?

“Kris?”

“Yes?”

I press the red button, leaving Kris just like that because now, I have made my decision.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Yoohoo readers!

Updated! 

dont forget to subscribe and COMMENT!

comment helps me a lot!

 

bbuing bbuing~