FIRST DAY

MASK

I woke up at 6:00 feeling very alarmed. I needed to prepare everything. I had just realized that I didn't do any preparing for school.

I found a shoulder bag in my closet. I put a few black binders in it as well as some paper. I took my pencilcase from my suitcase and stuffed it in. I wish Soohyuk had left me a laptop or something... It would have made life so much easier. 

After some intense consideration, I took the phone Soohyuk gave me. If he calls me, then I'll be able to pick up. Also, if I meet Krystal, I'll probably be able to get her phone number...

I went into the kitchen. It was, thankfully, a fully stocked kitchen. I made myself a sandwich for lunch. Of course, I could've probably bought something in the cafeteria, or a neighobouring food court, but I was too hard-pressed for time to search for my wallet. After wrapping my sandwich and putting it into my bag, I checked the clock. 7:15. I think I have to get to the Academy before 9:00. I hastily put on my new uniform.

All was going well until the tie. I've never mastered the art of tying a tie. To me, a tie was a foreign object. I decided to do without. I threw it into my bag without a second thought.

As I was about to step out the door, I remembered about my student ID. I ran back into my room to get it. I also took the knife I took (stole) from the drawer in the Old Man's house. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I grabbed the map and headed outside. 

I looked at the map. Arkham Academy... I looked to the left. There was a huge building in the distance. I looked at my map again, then back at the building. That's the Academy?! In that case, I live pretty close. I opened my house's door and threw the map inside, then I locked the door. If I had known this school was so close, I wouldn't have taken it.

-----walking time----

Finally, I arrived at the Academy. It was enormous. A large building consisting of white bricks, several windows and the school crest hung artfully here and there. Strangely enough, there were very few people. I decided to go inside. The moment I walked in I heard soft music was playing through the PA system. Immediately, I was greeted by a large man wearing a colourful pinstripe suit. 

"Sir, where is your tie?" he asked.

"Um... I--"

"Uniform infraction," he said, frowning.

"But I--"

"No buts, sir! However, I haven't seen you around this Academy. You're new, yes? Do you need any help?"

"Yes," I said, feeling annoyed. I could kill this guy.

"Do you have a student ID?"

I showed it to him. His face brightened up after taking a look a my student ID. 

"Excellent! Now, go to that scanner and scan the barcode. You'll get your schedule." He said with a smile. 

I walked to the scanner while keeping an eye on the man. He's... weird. I scanned it, and sure enough, a sheet of paper came out, my schedule. I took it.

"Well, do you have any questions?" asked the man.

"What type of school is this, exactly?" I asked.

"This Academy, sir, is one of the finest academies for the performing arts."

"Thank you. Another question. Will I be able to meet the other students?"

"Of course. You should hurry now. Classes started an hour ago."

Wait. So classes start at... 8:00? Then I should hurry.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome," replied the man, "Remember to wear your tie! Oh, and have this map! You'll most probably get lost." Was this school that big?

I nodded and took the map and looked at my schedule. First class: Maths, Room 315. I looked at my map. 315 was on the third floor. The stairs were very far away, and there were no accessible elevators. I decided to take my chances. I ran to the stairs, dashed up the steps two at a time, and finally arrived at 315. I opened the door.

"Yes?" asked a tall woman with round glasses.

"I'm new to the Academy, and I believe this is my first class."

"Ah. I see. You're late. May I see your ID?"

I showed it to her. Why are all the teachers asking for my ID?

"Excellent. You're not in the wrong class, don't worry. You can take a textbook from the shelf there, and homework is written on the board. Based on what your previous teacher said, I'm sure you've learnt this before. So go ahead and do it."

I looked at the board and flipped to the right page. As I did, the music changed from soft music to hardcore rock. My classmates gathered all their stuff and left. I did likewise. 

"Next class, Drama, room 110..."

I went to the designated room. The music died down, and the soft music came on. Once again, I showed my student ID to the teacher before settling in. I watched the other kids enter the room. Then I saw Krystal. She noticed me staring and smiled. I smiled awkwardly back at her. She looked away and took a seat with her friends.

I'm guessing that it'll be a tough challenge to become her friend.