UNEXPECTED

MASK

"Teacher!" shouted Krystal as we barged into the Vocals classroom.

There were only five other students besides us. The teacher stared at Krystal and tilted his head.

"What do you want this time?" he asked.

"Skip straight to the singing part. I want to do a duet or something with Semin."

"Okay. Do I get anything?"

"I'll get my dad to pay you."

"Got it. Take this," he said, handing Krystal a sheet of paper. Then he turned and stared at me and said, "I assume Semin is a new student. I haven't seen him before."

"It's true," beamed Krystal.

"Is he your boyfriend?"

That abrupt question made Krystal blush. I remained impassive.

"N- no, of course he isn't. He's just a friend," she stuttered.

"Yeah. Absolutely no relationship whatsoever between us," I added.

"Oh. I thought you might be. You'd make a cute couple."

That comment made Krystal blush even harder. If it weren't for my training, I'd be blushing as well. But I kept my poker face on.

"Let's get to the singing, Sir," I said, adressing the teacher.

"Of course. Let me see how your voice sounds like, first."

The teacher made me sing my highest note and my lowest note. Then he made me sing a bunch of random notes. I felt exposed when doing so. Self-concious, even. But I'm doing it all for Sulli. I think she'd smile if she sees me like this.

Finally, we finished. By then, the other students are staring at me like snobs. The teacher eyes me weirdly. Krystal looks at the ground and tries not to smile.

"So... Did I do well or not?" I venture.

"You... You did alright," replies the teacher, "But I see room for improvement."

"I still want to do that duet with Semin," interjects Krystal.

The teacher sighs then points us to a computer, telling us to choose a song from the school archive. Krystal takes my hand and we cram together on the single chair. Of course, there are other chairs, but Krystal seems to enjoy the closeness.

"You choose," she urges.

"M'kay."

I scroll down, and settle for mind sync by huh gak anf g.na. Krystal smiles and prints my selection. She then takes the music and leads me to a recording room. She closes the door, and we're all alone. I could kill her here and now, but at the moment, I want to sing with her. I practise under my breath. I don't want to sound like an idiot in front of her. Sulli would probably laugh at me, thinking that I'm shy.

Krystal opens , and a barrage of clear, pure notes fills my ears. The sound seems almost etheral, otherworldly. The music coming from is the exact lyrics I have on my page, but she makes it sound so much better. I look down and smile. It feels as though my soul's being purged from all the dischords of life and situation itself.

I look up and meet Krystal's eyes. I walk towards her, closing the space between us. Then I do the unthinkable.

I kiss her, a small kiss, but a kiss nonetheless. Even though we've just met, it feels like we've known each other for years. Maybe we have old souls who were lovers in past lives. I breathe in her scent, and grasp her shoulders. I don't know whether she's keeping me steady, or I'm keeping her steady. She doesn't pull back either, just stands there and lets me kiss her.

Finally, reality hits me like a car. I draw back and we both stare at each other, panting. She's pale, but her eyes have a curious light. I notice I'm still gripping her shoulders and instinctively let my hands drop to my sides.

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

"N... No, it's okay," she says, sounding embarrassed.

"I mean, I just met you and all that."

"No, seriously, it's okay."

"We should try the duet."

"Yeah! Definitely."

We resume what we were doing before. I practise my part and she practises hers. I can tell something's changed between us. There seems to be less of a wall between us. And I'm in love with my future victim.