Will You Marry Me?

Her Letters to Jongin
Please log in to read the full chapter

A sudden vibration filled Soojung's quiet room making me jump slightly. I frowned to myself as I looked around the room to see where it came from. Thinking it was my phone, I started searching through my own things, but there was no notification on my phone. Walking around the room, I noticed the phone on Soojung's side table.

It was still vibrating. Someone was calling, and the caller I.D. made me curious. I wanted to answer it, but would I be too nosy? Nah.

Picking up Soojung's phone quickly, I tapped the answer button.

"Hello?"

The other line was silent for a moment, probably confused because it wasn't Soojung answering.

"Who's this?" the caller said slowly.

I giggle. "Sehun, it's me. Soojung left her phone behind," I tell the confused boy. 

"Ah, yes. She told me she left her phone behind and no one would pick up their phone so I tried hers to see if someone would pick up," he says. "Well, she was wondering when you think you guys will be here?"

I walk back to the bed where my items lay and turn my phone on briefly to see the time which read noon. Estimating quickly in my head how long we might be at Soojung's house, I finally answered, "Well, we just started greeting the guests, but I assume we'll all be at the church in no more than an hour."

"Ah, okay," Sehun mumbled. He sounded a little off. 

"Sehun? Are you okay?" I ask.

"Eh? Yeah, of course I'm fine," he says, although his tone is telling me otherwise. He sounded nervous and there was a slight tremor in his voice.

I smile, "Everything will be okay."

 

The school year that Luhan graduated, something big happened that shook up our group of friends. It was the unthinkable, and honestly, no one saw it coming.

Luhan and I broke up.

Luhan and I got into fights often, but we were always able to resolve our problems and it would strengthen our relationship. But that time, the end result was us going our separate ways.

Luhan had informed me of his plans of going back home to Beijing to continue school. He told me he was feeling a little homesick, and he honestly didn't know what to do with his life at the point in time, so he decided to go back home.

But the thing was, I didn't hear it from Luhan first. It had slipped out from a teacher who didn't know that I was oblivious. It was after class one day, the fall before Luhan's graduation, and she patted my shoulder sympathetically.

"I'm so sorry about you and Luhan. But I'm sure you can get through it," she told me.

Clueless, I went straight to Luhan. He wouldn't answer at first, which only made me furious. As his girlfriend, I thought I had the right to know. When he finally confessed his plans of leaving, I was heartbroken. I was heartbroken because my own boyfriend couldn't tell me he was leaving and that I couldn't do anything about him leaving. He was going to be gone.

We argued that night.

It was the worst of the worst in all the history of our fights. Luhan wasn't physical, and for that I am thankful. But Luhan was the type to be a quiet angry person which I think is the worst of all.

As I cried that night and yelled at him, hurt that he didn't even think of me when he made that rash decision, he remained silent, accepting all of my anger. As I cried he just sat there, and as I yelled he just listened quietly.

In the end, he just simply said "I'm sorry," in a very broken voice that shattered my heart.

That night I left his place and went to Soojung's. It was sort of a silent mutual agreement that we had broken up. After all, we both knew we would have to sooner or later when Luhan left.

I cried that night on Soojung's shoulder. She could only try to sympathize and rub my back as comfortingly as she could. The next day, we both skipped school. Soojung's parent's weren't in town around that time and Sooyeon understood. That day we just sat around in silence with small talk as I tried to mend my broken heart.

Thinking back, it was a very dark time for me. Luhan was my everything, and just like that, he wasn't there anymore. I don't remember much after that. I just remember trying my best to avoid Luhan and focusing hard in school.

Something that I kind of remember is Soojung mentioning Jongin a couple of times during our late night talks. She told me that Jongin would talk to her about Luhan, and she would often tell me how Luhan was doing through the eyes of Jongin.

At the time, I was too caught up in knowing what was happening to Luhan that I hadn't even noticed the fact that my best friend was interacting with Jongin regularly.

"Are you ever going to talk to him?" Soojung asks.

It was a bit later in the evening and I had yet to cook dinner for myself. At the time, I was living by myself while my parents were on a vacation. I was communicating with Soojung through video messaging on my phone. My phone was propped up on the counter against a bowl, giving me a view of Soojung's face who was lying in bed as I cut vegetables.

Soojung says my name, "You know you can't avoid him forever. He's going back to Beijing soon. Is this how you want to end your relationship before you never see him again?"

I blink lazily and take a deep breath while focusing on finishing up the vegetables. I remain quiet and just listen to Soojung rant about how I was being unreasonable.

"Come on..." her tone softens, "it hurts to see you this way. You both are obviously suffering."

"Soojung, just let it go, okay?" I say through gritted teeth. "We both made it obvious that it was over that night." My voice tremors a bit at the end and I bite my tongue.

"It wasn't even official! You left his house, and you both just stopped talking to each other!" Soojung says, getting frustrated. I glance at the phone screen and Soojung is pulling at the roots of her hair.

"Look, Jongin tells me about Luhan," her voice trembles slightly mentioning Jongin's name, but I don't notice, "He's not happy right now. Please, just talk to him. Have you seen him? He's like a walking zombie! This is affecting him as much as it's affecting you."

"Soojung," I say her name sternly for her to realize that I am serious this time, "Stop it. You don't know how I feel, how he hurt me. So please stop saying empty words that Jongin probably put into your head." I turn my back to her as I start combining the ingredients onto a pan. 

It's quiet for a while. I stir the ingredients in the pan as the silence lingers on thinking she probably ended the video call, so I turn around to grab my phone only to be surprised to still see Soojung's face.

"You guys were supposed to be together forever." Her voice cracks as she begins to speak when she notices my attention is on her. I swear, at that moment, my heart shattered.

Soojung barely cries. She sheds tears, but never cries. So when I saw her crying on the screen of my phone, I was scared. She wasn't sobbing, but the cries were strong enough to strangle some of her words.

Why was she crying?

"You and Luhan are the only reason why I believe in love. You guys give me hope that one day, I will find someone to make me as happy as you make each other. You two can't just break up just because he's leaving!" 

Too shocked to even give a reaction, I just stand there silently with my jaw dropped at Soojung's behavior. Although the quality of the video wasn't the best, I could see Soojung wiping something gleaming down her face. She sniffles and takes a deep breath in hopes to calm herself down.

I hear the food sizzling behind me but I ignore it as I continue to listen to what Soojung has to say.

"Please, don't give up on him," she whispers brokenly. At that moment, I broke down in tears - no I was ugly sobbing. I had already been crying plenty, but seeing that Luhan and I weren't the only ones affected, I couldn't help it. Soojung had actually expected us to last. She saw that we cared for each other, that Luhan cares for me and I for him. She saw that there was still a reason for us to try

Please log in to read the full chapter