Mr. Football Casanova

Her Letters to Jongin
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

I sat on Soojung’s bed feeling shocked and confused. When did she have this infatuation with Jongin? Thinking back now, I still can’t imagine Soojung crushing on Jongin. Definitely not back then.

The two hardly talked back then.

Soojung was very reserved – even around me. She wasn’t one of those girls who loved to gossip about which new boy she thought was cute. She was one of those girls who would crush on a guy and not tell anyone – not even me.

With the box in my lap, I try to rack through my memories to remember anything that might have triggered her crush. But then again, this is Jongin we are talking about.

He was the casanova of our school. He was on the football team and on the student council. He was extremely talented in dancing – oh man, his passion for dancing even had me crushing on him back in middle school. Even though he was the perfect ideal man, he was extremely modest – not modest to the point that he wanted people to keep praising him. He was extremely good looking, and even though his friends about his deep skin tone, all of the girls loved it. He was respectful towards the elders and kind the lower class men

His only flaw was his social skills. He was awkward while talking to anyone that he was not familiar with. Kim Jongin was the definition of awkward. But that’s what kept him pure, I guess. He was the kind of guy that you brought home to your parents for a first meeting and they’d give their blessings for marriage. Guys like Jongin were dangerous.

But I knew Soojung. She wasn’t one to like a guy because of looks and talent. She wanted a guy who would love her for her – one who would care for her and for others around.

I sifted through the box and found a photo. In the photo was some of the guys on our school football team. I smiled a little as I skimmed through the faces. At the end of the line of boys was Soojung who stood out with her pink braided hair. She was dressed in a cheerleading outfit and held pom poms in each hand. On the opposite side of the line was me, dressed in the same uniform as Soojung. My hair was in a bun, and a bow, matching our school colors, pinned back my bangs. I was standing next to Luhan whose arms were around my waist.

Soojung and I had tried out for the cheerleading squad our freshmen and sophomore year because we thought it was cool. But later that year Soojung had to quit because her parents said it was getting in the way of her education, so I had quit too.

I stared at Soojung in the picture and smiled at her small, reserved smile she showed the camera. Her eyes sparkled like how they usually did after each game and her cheeks were blushing red. I looked at the person next to her and my smile grew.

It was Jongin. His arms were placed gently around her shoulders in a friendly, chaste gesture, and he leaned closer Minseok, one of Luhan’s best friends. Even though it was a small gesture, I’m sure it caused Soojung’s heart to falter.

Suddenly, I remembered something that happened back then. It was in late October – the last football game of the season. It was the biggest game because we were going against our rival school, and our football team was one of the things we took pride in.

 

It was the last quarter and the scores were extremely close. The anticipation in the air was extremely nerve-wracking. Nobody knew who would win – all we could hope for was for our team to win. The crowds from the bleachers were screaming and cheering for their own respective teams.

Since it was late October, the temperature had dropped, but nobody could fe

Please log in to read the full chapter