Silver

Tempestuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Please don't leave me..." She whispers.
He is gone.

Silver
 

I clamped my hands over my mouth, forcing myself to shut up. I realize now that screaming was a stupid thing to do when there were potential werewolves lurking around. Attracting those monsters from Suho's story was the last thing I wanted to do. When I had calmed myself enough to stop screaming, all that greeted me was a deadly silence.
I whispered soothing words to myself to keep the fear at bay. At least I had the sound of my own terrified voice to keep me company. I had to get out of here. I walked as fast as I could in the direction I hoped I had come from, trying to retrace my steps. I don't know how far I managed to get before I saw it.

Legend or not, it was standing before me - unbelievably large, with its teeth bared in a vicious grimace. Its golden-brown fur swayed in some non-existent breeze.

A wolf.

No, a werewolf.

Its hazel eyes glowed in the dark. They were too intelligent, too human. 
They smoldered into mine, beckoning me to come closer.

I should have been afraid. I should have run away. But all I yearned to do then was run my hands through its fur. The wolf hadn't blinked.
It was watching me, waiting for me to do something stupid. 

Make a stupid move and you die, It seemed to say.

I had been about to take an unconcious step towards the wolf, when it suddenly lunged forward and snarled menacingly. It leapt right over me and growled. I caught a flash of silver in the periphery and turned to my left.

A second wolf emerged from the thicket at an impossible speed, its silver fur shining in some mystical light, like a comet about to wreak havoc. It drew to an abrupt halt. Its wide eyes sparkled in the dim moonlight. It let out a low growl. The two wolves seemed to be communicating though eye contact. 
Planning on how to share my body after my impending gruesome death, no doubt.

As I took a tentative step backwards and away from the wolves in front of me, I tripped over a fallen a tree branch. I was scared out of my wits. As I fell, I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the end. There was no way I could outrun these wolves.

The most horrifying wail I had ever heard - a high keening - echoed through the woods. I tried to see what was going on, but all I caught was flashes of gold against silver, and a sudden burst of white. I shut my eyes again.
There was the whoosh of the wind and then, silence. Except, as I recall, there is no wind in the forest. 

I could feel a warm wetness running down my legs. It must be blood.
I couldn't have been hurt that badly by a tree branch.
At this point, I probably had only a few minutes to live. Or was I already dead?
My thoughts travelled to dark places.

I opened my eyes slowly, unable to see clearly.
As far as I could tell, both wolves had disappeared. 
In the sparse moonlight that mitigated the thick canopy of trees, it seemed as if someone was lying next to me. A body.
I turned away.
There's no one there. You're just seeing things. It's not real. 

My head throbbed.
My eyes closed again, and this time, I couldn't get them to reopen.

 

 

Eventually, they'd found me.

"Her heart rate... too low."
"She's alright... breathing."
"More bodies than I thought -"
"Get her out -"

I could barely make out what they were saying through the fog in my m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter