Chapter I

The Girl That Never Lived

 

Chapter 1 : This hell I'm living in

 

I sat against the wall of my room, my knees curled to my chest with both my arms wrapped around them. My lips turned a light purple as I shivered and tried to stay as warm as possible. There was nothing I could do to help the coldness. 

Nurse Chohee opened the door to my room, handing me a blanket. "Master says it'll be below 0 degrees tonight. Wouldn't want you dead after the 17 years we've had you." Within a second of the light from the hallway being exposed to my room, the door was closed and it was pitch black; again.

I crawled towards the door, reaching for the blanket and immediately embracing it around me. It was only as thin as the clothing I wore, but it was better than nothing. I stood and walked over to the bed that stuck from the wall, making myself comfortable on the wood. What did "comfortable" even feel like? I lied there, staring at what I think was the ceiling. 17 years I stayed in this room. I knew this room whether it was light or dark, my eyes open or shut. 

Everyday became a  routine. Nurse Chohee would come in every morning and wake me for my bath. For some reason, when I started taking baths at 4, she had me put on blind folds saying "it was only for the sake of my life" or whatever. Well, I'd done it long enough to the point where Nurse Chohee didn't even need to give me blindfolds; she trusted me to close my eyes everytime. 

She would lead me to the bathroom, which I had counted by now took 25-30 steps to get there. I heard her open the door, leading me inside and giving me permission to open my eyes. Once I opened my eyes I stripped myself down, stepping into the step and sitting against the edge. You would think I would know how to bathe myself by now; I'd never done it myself, so it's out of my knowledge if I even can or not. 

I'd sit there as she washed my hair, both staying as silent as possible. We never talked much; we never asked each other about how we were doing or how our day was anymore. She already knew how mine was. 

When she was finished bathing me, she changed me into a new pair of clothes that seemed to look just like the ones I had already worn, but "clean." It had the same color, fabric; I didn't know if it was something I should enjoy wearing or not. 

After bathing, she'd send me back to my room and a few minutes later, bring in a tray that was topped with a small bowl of chicken broth, a small loaf of bread and a cup of water; I ate this 3 times a day for the 17 years I had been here. Everytime my meal was served, I always ate it differently. Drink soup first, eat bread last then save the warer for later; eat bread with soup and drink water; drink soup, save bread and water; you get the point. 

When breakfast was over, there was really nothing to do. What was there to do? I was given nothing but treatment well enough to keep me alive. I didn't even know what "fun" was. I heard it once, I heard one of the men walk down the hall way say how he was going to hit the bars (whatever that is) and have some fun with his buddies. Lots of unknown vocabulary, but it sounded like it was enjoyable. 

There was really nothing to do but wait for lunch. It didn't seem long, nor short to wait for my next meal. All I'd do is sit there and wonder about almost everything. 

I never really knew when it was day time or night time. I just assumed that once I got my dinner, it was night time and I'd go to sleep right after I ate. The next day, same routine.

Expect that day. That one day... when I spoke.

While Nurse Chohee was getting ready to open the door of my room, she checked to see if my eyes were closed; they were. Once she opened the door and led me out, I started counting the steps. 1, 2, 3... When it came to 10 steps, I was afraid to... but I did anyway. Slowly, I opened one eye, then the other. It felt like I had them close for ages. They felt like I weight pressing against my eyelids. 

I cringed at the brightness as it hit my eyes. The hallway was not was I was expecting. The walls were painted white, some edges of peeling paint. The floors were polished, they glistened of a color that was unknown to me. Once it got to 20 steps, I immediately shut my eyes again. 

We walked into the bathing room and just like everyday, I got into the tub, sitting the same way and being completely silent. 

When I was younger, I spoke to Nurse Chohee almost everytime I got to see her. I guess when I grew older, I distanted myself from her. I felt like she was keeping a secret from me; she refused to tell me stories and teach me numbers and words and colors. That's when I slowly stopped talking to her. I was 10, then. 

But today was the day. I had to find out why I was here. Did God really put us on this Earth to live like this? I cleared my throat and said in a voice that choked to escape my throat,"Nurse Chohee... why am I here?" 

 


YEAAAAP. First chapter. (: 

What'd ya thiiiink? :D Let me know in the comments! 

Read on or NAH? /lolololoooool. xD 

Upvote, Share and SUBSCRIBE. 

PikaChugaChu3 is signing off! ^^