The Fourth Meeting

The Little Things

 

April 2009 
 
She hated being late. Her heels clicked impatiently as she reached into her clutch to get her cell phone. Although she was still about an hour early, she berated herself for taking so long to do her hair and makeup. She twirled the end of her dark blue dress with her fingers, willing herself not to bite her fingers from sheer nervousness. 
 
After all, today was the first wedding she would attend. 
 
Her cousin Misun was getting married at a mountain top art center they visited when they were children. Misun was twenty four while she was still eighteen. Despite their six year , they were still close and emailed each other when she was in America. However, she had no idea who Misun was marrying. She knew that the man worked under a large company but that was about it. But she trusted her cousin, knowing how high Misun’s standards were. 
 
Taking out her headphones, she her phone’s MP3 player, trying to calm down her nerves. 
 
The wedding location was beautiful as it had been years before. She had snuck in Misun’s dressing from to congratulate her. Both cousin’s squealed in delight and immediately tried to catch up. But with the ceremony in just ten minutes, ___ left the room to hurry and find a seat. 
 
She snagged a seat near the back; the front was sadly all taken by relatives ad friends. Quickly putting her phone on silent, she began to put it in her bag as she felt someone sit next to her. 
 
A tall boy in a suit turned to her and his eyes curved into half moons, stunning her with recognition. 
 
“Funny finding you here, _____ sshi.” 
 
Her name never sounded so beautiful. 
 

 
Manager hyung was getting married today. The members sniggered at his nervousness the past few weeks and were all determined to go to the wedding. However, only he and Jonghyun hyung were able to attend since the others either had school or another schedule to attend. Manager hyung assured them that only close friends and family would be at the wedding, so the pair had no need to wear sunglasses or disguises. And for that, the two idols were grateful. Though they were thankful to their fans, fans tended to act rashly and downright crazy when they were in touching proximity. Not to mention that their eyes felt sensitive from millions of flashes from photographer’s cameras from the award show event the night before. 
 
Both he and Jonghyun felt a little awkward before the ceremony. Minho had never attended a wedding and while Jonghyun had, it was when he was a child. Both stuck close to one another, whispering little things they noticed and playing (not childishly!, Jonghyun assured) with the fountains. 
 
The ceremony was about to begin, so both the boys took their seats around the back of the outdoor setting. Minho scanned the area as Jonghyun sent one last text message to the other members. There were family members with eyes glistening from near tears, friends laughing joyously together, and one person who sat alone in the back, turning off her cell phone. 
 
He smiled as he recognized her. 
 
“Hey hyung, there’s someone I know here. Mind if you sit alone?” Minho walked off before Jonghyun could answer. He quickly maneuvered himself through the chairs and finally was about to reach the girl he hadn’t seen in so long. 
 
It had been October since they last saw each other in the bookstore and the bus stop. Admittedly, he found himself unconsciously visiting the store every day he went to school. Sometimes, he even went to bookstores around the area when he had time. He vehemently denied to himself that he wasn’t searching for her. The anticipation as he walked in the store, the excitement when he saw someone browsing through the books, and the disappointment when he realized it was never her… No, he wasn’t searching for her, nor was he looking for her. He was simply.. Simply.. 
 
I just wanted to get more book recommendations! 
 
But now that he saw her with her in a navy one shoulder dress, her hair falling down to the mid of her back, and her ever innocent face flushed slightly from the heat, he could no longer deny that he hadn’t looked for her. 
 
The irony he found her when he wasn’t searching made him want to laugh. 
 
Minho sat next to her and she looked up in question when she felt him approach. He couldn’t hide back his pleasure as she recognized him this time. 
 
“Funny finding you here, ___ sshi,” he was unable to hold back his smile as she seemed to still in surprise. 
 
“Minho sshi!” She started, but the violinist suddenly began to play so they were unable to continue. 
 
And regardless of how he wasn’t the type to ever say this to anyone… But for some reason, he wanted to tell her that she looked beautiful today. 
 

 
Minho was annoyed. 
 
“Would you like to dance?” A voice he usually admired caused his blood to boil. 
 
A small laugh. “As if you would leave me a choice, Jonghyun sshi.” 
 
Scratch that, Minho was downright furious
 
He was inwardly thrilled that both he and ____ were seated at the same table for the reception. They had walked together, informing each other of small tidbits of their lives and he had genuinely enjoyed her company. She didn’t treat him as if he were God’s gift to man nor did she act as if he were a selfish, self centered celebrity. It even seemed that she was slightly flirting with him until.. 
 
“Hey Minho! Who’s the pretty girl you got there?” 
 
Jonghyun hyung. 
 
He thought that he would spent the majority of the evening learning more about it. But as soon as Jonghyun hyung was in the picture, it was as if he didn’t exist. He couldn’t blame her really; he was too quiet where Jonghyun was too loud. He seemed cold and unfriendly while Jonghyun acted like he was her old high school friend. Still, Minho was bitter that what took him three meetings to get her name, Jonghyun took less than a minute. Minho simply sat there quickly, pushing his food around his plate as he clenched his teeth at Jonghyun’s flirting. When _____ left the table, Jonghyun smiled at Minho happily. 
 
“She’s really pretty isn’t she? And she seems so nice… who knew I’d find a girl so early in my career,” he grinned widely and Minho wanted nothing more to say that he saw her first and that he knew her longer. 
 
But that would be the same as saying that he were jealous. 
 
And he wasn’t. 
 
As he watched the two dance, both of them with wide smiles on their faces, Minho assured himself that he had no right. This was only the fourth time he saw _____ and he had no claim on her. In fact, they weren’t even friends. She was just one of those people who he would bump into every once in a while and would just share a “Hello” with. He had no right to feel possessive over her. 
 
He was not jealous. 
 
He was not. 
 

 
The wedding was ending and his manager and wife were saying their goodbye’s to all of the guests. Jonghyun was in the bathroom and Minho found himself sitting on the large set of steps on the other side of the exhibit. He really couldn’t handle Jonghyun hyung tonight. 
 
He glared at his hands in frustration. In reality, he knew this was his fault. He didn’t talk to her at all after Jonghyun came in and did nothing to acquire her attention. Jonghyun was simply doing what Minho was too afraid to do. 
 
“Aish.. I’m an idiot,” Minho sighed as he tugged his bangs. 
 
“I’m pretty sure you’re not an idiot, Minho sshi,” she said softly, sitting next to him. 
 
Suddenly, he was nervous. He had wanted to talk to her all night but now that she was actually in front of him he couldn’t think of what to say. Now he was just staring like the idiot he really was and great, now what was she thinking he was - 
 
“Jonghyun sshi is really fun. You must be happy to have someone like him in your group,” 
 
Worthless Choi Minho. Worthless, useless, no charisma at all -
 
“But I was a little sad that you didn’t talk much, Minho sshi. Are you feeling okay?” Her tone was filled with worry and Minho couldn’t help but feel a small twinge of hope. “If you’re really that uncomfortable, I can leave - “ 
 
“Stay. Please.” 
 
His voice sounded weaker than usual. He wished he could say it strongly like he would in his raps and maybe it would actually convince her to stay. But he knew that she wouldn’t. Why would she when Jonghyun hyung was just a few minutes away? 
 
But she stayed. 
 
And the distance between them got a little smaller because of this little request. 



Author's note: I attended a wedding yesterday and here is the creation of my overactive mind. Unfortunately, I didn't meet a Minho or Jonghyun like our character did here. T_T
As to what exactly happened after Minho asked her to stay.. well, that's left up to you, my reader, until the next meeting. 
Sorry to all of you Jonghyun lovers. I adore the boy as well, but I see him as a huge flirt when it comes to a pretty girl. Whether he's a huge obstacle for Minho, we'll see. Onew, well.. I'll leave that to you guys at well. ;] 
Thanks for all your kind comments! You guys definitely are a huge factor of my drive to write! If you have any requests of a setting (wedding, supermarket, bookstore), feel free to tell me. Although I can't promise I'll write about it, I do get horrible writer's block.