Epilogue

The Little Things

"It is by studying little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery and as much happiness as possible." 

- Samuel Johnson 
 


December 2021

He loved the spring. He loved the light spring rains, the green plants stretching their arms from the ground… He loved the children yelling joyfully at each other because it was finally warm enough to go outside and play. He loved everything about spring because spring just sang of new life after the seemingly endless winter sleep.

Suddenly, he felt a slight jab from his side from a hand and realized the piano started playing. He stood quickly and turned his head towards the door.

She was so, so beautiful.

With her hand held delicately by her elderly father, she smiled as she entered the church in tune with the song. When he was younger, he had dreams of this day. The day when she would walk towards him with her rather, dressed in all white and blushing prettily when their eyes met. Her father would hand her off to him while whispering “Take care of her” and he would finally be with her until death do them part.

His dream had come true except for the part where he was standing next to the minister. Instead, he saw another man smiling widely in his spot.

In the spring after their first Japanese album and tours, his relationship with her grew. The trust between them was strong and their memories together only brought him happiness. In the past ten years, he could confidently say he was her best friend.

Best friend.

Friend.


He watched as another man swept her off her feet and made promises of love and forever.  He watched the woman he loved love another with the intensity that he once desired.

And now, he was sitting on a pew with the other members, his brothers as he watched her promise her forever to someone that was not him.

Strangely, he was not jealous. He was not angry and he didn’t feel even a shimmer of regret. He was no longer in love with her. He simply just loved her. He only felt a little nostalgia of what could have been, what was so close to what should have been. But she was happy. She looked so happy as she faced the man she loved through all the seasons, not only spring. He could not have any bitter emotions when she was so obviously, so beautifully in love.

He saw them seal their vows with a kiss and whisper “I love you”s and “I love you too”s into each other’s ear.

He stood as the couple greet everyone as husband and wife.

He looked the man, her husband, in the eye and demanded him to promise to make her happy forever. He smiled as the man honestly stated that while he could not always make her happy, he would promise to love her even beyond his death.

There was no doubt in his mind or heart that the man would uphold his promise.

He hugged her as she watched the tears of joy run down her face. She softly said “I love you” but he knew she would not love him like she used to. He gently pressed his lips to her cheek and gave her a broad smile.

Be happy.”

The newly married couple slowly walked out of the church as everyone bid their farewells and wished them a happy, long life. He was part of the crowd with his fellow members, but he could not shout silly jokes and well wishes like they were.

Instead, he found himself observing the little things. The man brushed the loose lock of hair behind her ear. She blushed and smiled the smile reserved for the man only. Her eyes would curve into half moons as the man winked at his new bride. Their fingers would unconsciously lace together. The couple would never walk with one in front of the other; they would always walk side by side. The old silver chain bracelet on the man’s wrist. The moonflowers in her hair.

Lee Jinki could only smile and feel joy as he saw those little things lead his first love and Choi Minho out of the winter snow and into the promising spring. 
 


A/N: And that's a wrap folks. A short ending, but hopefully sweet and provides some sort of open ended ending to our couple.

I didn't want to explain what the status of Shinee was as an idol group ten years after the last chapter. Nor did I want to write about Minho and the main character's dating years, the proposal, ect. I will leave that all up to you, my readers. 


No sequel, nothing more related to The Little ThingsI am, however, thinking of writing a story based on Jonghyun or Onew. Minho is always going to be my bias, but we just took a fourteen year journey with him and I think Onew needs some loving and Jonghyun is just too fun to write. Of course, maybe Minho will stir my muse and another Minho story will come. 

Finally, I want to thank my readers, whether you commented or not, so much for following through the 1 1/2 journey of writing filled with hiatuses and large splurges of writing. 

Until next time, 

Cheers
-sanatoriawhisper.