The Third Meeting: Part Two

The Little Things

 

October 2008
 
She loved flowers. When she was little, her mother would take her grocery shopping and would name all of the different kinds. As a child, she was so mesmerized by the colors and shapes that she never remembered which kind of flower that her mother liked best. 
 
This was one of her greatest regrets. 
 
Her mother did love to read one book about a flower. So every year, ____ would buy her mother a copy of the book and a bouquet of flowers. Each year, the type of flower would be different. Hopefully one year, she would get the flower her mother loved. 
 
When she entered the bookstore, she was surprised to see her old customer browsing the collection of books. Needless to say, she was shocked that a Shinee member was so casually looking for a book without a crowd of fans surrounding the store. She had listened to their songs and was a fan of their music. But she had never taken the time to go beyond the occasional listen. In fact, she had no idea what his name was. 
 
She figured he might not want to be noticed, so she simply smiled her thanks when he helped get the book down for her. After quickly paying for her book, she left her old customer behind and sat under the shelter of the bus stop. 
 
Besides, it’s not as if he remembers me or something. 
 
“It’s raining,” she quietly stated as she set down the flowers next to her. Unfortunately, the flowers seemed to refuse to bloom since the hour before when she bought them. Frowning slightly, she thought,  ‘Mom, you always loved the rain. You said the rain gave life to the flowers.’ 
 
From the corner of her eye, she saw the boy sit a few feet away from her. He looked concentrated and as if he were fighting a battle in his head. 
 
He’s probably tired from his schedule. Compared to my life, his must be so hectic. 
 
She occasionally saw him and his group on variety shows when she flipped through channels of her television. But since most of her time was spent studying for entrance exams, she didn’t follow entertainment news and followed general news instead. The times she did watch Shinee interviews, he was always quiet and polite compared to the other members. He rarely talked, but when he did, it was as if he was holding in half of what his mind was actually thinking. He seemed embarrassed, unsure, and hesitant regardless of his idol status. 
 
Despite his silence, her eyes always sought him. To her, he shined the brightest. 
 
And his bag was also on the verge of falling into a puddle. 
 
She felt as if she were taking a leap from one building to a next. Swallowing her fear, she shakily said, “Customer sshi, your bag is falling from your lap.” 
 
He looked sheepishly at her but smiled widely when she addressed him. “Anyeonghasaeyo. This is our third meeting isn’t it?” 
 
She was momentarily stunned at his smile. 
 
He definitely shines the brightest. 
 
Her insides bubbled in pleasure when he recognized her. Thanking him again for retrieving her book, she continued to read, intent on not bothering him. But he continued to surprise her. 
 
“Ah.. So is that a good book?” he asked hesitantly. 
 
And by that simple question, she ended up sharing a little piece of herself to this stranger. She didn’t know why she was bothering to tell him that The Little Prince was her favorite book or that her mother had always pushed her to read it. She wasn’t exactly sure why she wanted to sit a little closer to him and find out his likes and dislikes. But she knew out of everything, she just wanted to know his name. 
 
‘My name is Choi Minho. What’s yours?” His voice was warm even in the rain. 
 
“I was named by my mother. My name is ____, Choi Minho sshi.” 
 
The flowers beside her bloomed beautifully. 


Shortly after finding out his name and giving her own, Minho’s bus had arrived and he waved goodbye to her before entering the bus. Her father’s car had come shortly after, snapping her out of her daze and launching her back to reality. 
 
Her father looked somber as she buckled the seat belt. They remained silent throughout the car ride, shoulders appearing defeated and foreheads wrinkling in distress. As they drove out of Seoul, her father finally spoke. 
 
“It’s been an entire year since we’ve seen your mother. I hope she’s doing well.” 
 
She wondered if he knew that his usually strong voice trembled. 
 
Her father rarely talked of her mother and she never had the courage to bring her up in their conversations. Talking about it would mean admitting they were thinking of her and neither of the two wanted the other to know that their hearts were suffering. 
 
Why did you leave mother? Did you hate us that much? No. I know you loved appa. The hours you spent making his favorite foods just so you could see him smile after his long work hours, the smile you had when you saw his car come in the driveway after staring out the kitchen window. I know you loved appa. I don’t think I could ever love someone as much as you loved him. 
 
Why did you leave? 
 
You wouldn’t leave appa. You would never do it willingly. 
 
 
Did you hate me? 
 
“We’re here, ____ ya” Her father broke her out of her thoughts. She hadn’t even seen her mother yet but there seemed to be something lodged in because she suddenly couldn’t breathe. 
 
They stepped out of the car and walked towards a small house with flowers blooming from the earlier rain. She didn't know when she began taking steps or how a hand seemed to squeeze her tiny heart to the point where her chest felt pain. Her father nudged her to continue walking when she stopped in front of the white gate. Her eyes felt too dry. They stung. But no tears came. 
 
“Anyeonghasaeyo eomeoni. How have you been?” 
 
A small cross in front of her responded with silence. 



I thought it would be interesting to tell what exactly happened during and after the third meeting in the main female's point of view. So here is the creation of my overactive mind. 

No Minho or ____ point of view next chapter. A special narration of one (or more) of our favorite boys. ;]