Protocol

Banned

“We have to rescue him!” yelled Baekhyun, tears streaming down his red face. His anger was rising and he knew that it wouldn’t be long before he lashed out, yet he didn’t care. All he cared about was his brother, who is now awaiting termination by being burnt.

“Calm down, we didn’t come this far too just give up” replied Xiumin. “How’s the status?”

“They still have him in his cell, however backup can’t make it” Informed Drew.

“No backup” Xiumin sounded shocked and slightly fearful as those words left his lips. “Do we have weapons?”

“We have one gun and a knife” replied Drew, who was busily typing on a laptop before him.

“Anything else?”

“Only the usual vest, belt and bag”

Xiumin stood up from the bed and walked over to a large, black brief case, which lay closed on the table. He unlocked the briefcase and flipped the lid open. The briefcase unveiled a small keypad in the centre of a foam like mat. Xiumin entered a code into the keypad. After a second a beep was heard and the foam like mat disappeared unveiling a series of small phones. Xiumin took four out. He placed three black phones onto the table, however he held onto the yellow one. He pressed a button and held it to his ear.

“Hello” said Xiumin. “It’s me, alpha Charlie zero two”

“What’s he saying?” asked Baekhyun as he looked up at Xiumin.

“Ssssh” interrupted Drew, who was still busily typing away.

“What are both of you doing?” asked Baekhyun.

“You don’t have clearance”

“Clearance?”

“Yes sunbaenim, you heard it right. What do you mean you CAN’T do anything?” yelled Xiumin in anger. “Well then, permission to grant beta alpha two four clearance?”

Baekhyun stared at Xiumin in confusion. He noticed that the sound of Drew’s typing had stopped. He turned to see Drew staring up at Xiumin in astonishment.

“That’s unacceptable sir, he’s endangering his life.” Said Xiumin. “Screw protocol. Protocol says I have to have backup, yet you are still telling me to intervene and save the boy, yet you refuse to allow me to inform one of my men of our mission due to protocol. That’s something I can’t do…. Fine, take my clearance, investigate me, but I’m gonna tell him.”

Xiumin hung up the phone and threw it back into the briefcase, which he closed shut behind him.  He sighed in frustration before sinking into a chair.

“Are you really going against protocol?” asked Drew.

“What chose do I have?”

“You could follow proto….” Drew stopped at the look from Xiumin.

“Does anyone care to tell me what the is going on?” asked Baekhyun in frustration. “What the is this beta alpha and protocol and who where you just talking too?”

Xiumin sighed before turning to face Baekhyun.

“That was my sunbae. He’s in charge of the P.H.R.E.D.F. Myself and Drew are both agents. The P.H.R.E.D.F works across the country. We were sent here on a mission to save homouals in this town; however the only one we could locate was your brother. The rest have fled already. That’s why I brought you here; however it was harder than I thought. I think the mayor may be from the P.R.E.S.E.R.V.E. They are a group who are against everything we fight for.”

“Wait hold up” interrupted Baekhyun. “The P.H.R.E.D.F?”

“Yeah, it stands for the Protection of Human Rights, Equality, Democracy and Freedom.”

“Who’s preserve?”

“The P.R.E.S.E.R.V.E is a group of wealthy government officials who are strongly against everything we stand for and believe in. They are homophobic, bigoted and are communists. They believe that homouality is an infectious disease that spreads from person to person by touch. They see it as incurable and that the only way to prevent spreading is to burn the bodies of homouals.”

Baekhyun nodded as he tried to take in what Xiumin told him. However he couldn’t believe him, it was too outrageous, too fictional.

“What does preserve mean?”

“It stands for the Protection of Rights, Equality, es, Equal Rights, Valour and Eradication of evil.”

“Wow, they really wanted to name their group preserve.” Remarked Baekhyun.

“I know right” said Drew.

“So Baekhyun, will you help us?” asked Xiumin as he extended his hand for a handshake.

“I don’t think I have much of a choice” replied Baekhyun accepting Xiumin’s handshake. “What can I do?”

 

“We are going to split up. I’ll take the back, Baekhyun you climb to the top floor and try make your way down and Xiumin you go in the front” ordered Drew.

“Wait, how do I get to the roof?” asked Baekhyun.

Drew took the tablet in his hand and placed it in the middle of them; he then pressed a control causing an image of a strange object to appear. The object was small, rounded on one end and triangular on the other. It was made of metal and had engravements which looked similar to a handgrip.

“Take this, point the triangle at the roof and then twist the rounded end. A rope will propel up. Attach the robe to your belt buckle. There will be a clip. Then twist the round end back to its original place. You will be propelled up to the top. The triangle top contains three claws which will grip onto whatever they hit.” Instructed Drew.

Baekhyun nodded, he couldn’t believe what he was doing, what was happening to him, how everything was so different from this morning. However he didn’t care, he only cared about his brother. He just wanted to see his brother alive one last time, even if he died doing so. Baekhyun trusted Drew and Xiumin, they all had the same equipment and where all risking their lives for his brother. A person they have never met, nor know. They were risking their lives as they saw an injustice, something that tried to go against their believes, something unmoral, and they were willing to risk their lives to protect others and to fight for their believes.

Baekhyun knew that he wasn’t that good of a fighter, however he felt strength seeing the courage these two have. He felt warmth and for the first time affection. He felt a bond between them and not just ually. He knew that if it came down to it he would risk his life for them, he knew that he would do whatever it took to get both of them and his brother our alive.

“Ready?” asked Xiumin.

“Let’s go” replied Baekhyun.