Chapter 2

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You
The day at the clinic was uneventful for the most part. There were a steady stream of patients to see, but nothing out of the ordinary occurred. As Jan Di locked the door behind the last patient, she went to sit at the desk to finish reviewing files. Her eye was caught by a framed picture of her, grandfather and Ji Hoo. Her fingers gently traced the outline of the picture frame.
 
"Pogoshipoyo." She could have been saying she missed either of the two men in the photo. Ji Hoo's grandfather had passed away a few years ago and left the clinic in Ji Hoo's care. Ji Hoo has been volunteering as a doctor in Rowanda for the past five years. When he left, he asked Jan Di to watch over the clinic while he was gone. Jan Di heard from Ji Hoo rarely. The occasional letter or card would arrive in her mailbox, but it was always short and sweet.
 
She loved working at grandfather's clinic. Treating average, everyday people helped keep her grounded and connected with the community. She felt more at home at the clinic than she did at her condo most days.
 
Jan Di finished writing notes in the last patient file and looked at her watch.
 
"I'll be late to meet Ga Eul!"
 
She quickly put everything away and left the clinic. She and Ga Eul were scheduled to meet for coffee after work.
 
Jan Di arrived at the small, but quaint, café and saw Ga Eul sitting at a table near the window.
 
"Jan Di-ah!" Ga Eul exclaimed, waving excitedly to her friend.
 
Jan Di smiled and made her way to the table. She set her stuff down and shouted to the server, "One Café Americano and a plate of macaroons please!"
 
"I can't stay out too late, Ga Eul. I have a flight to catch early tomorrow."
 
"Oh! That's right! You're headed to the conference in Toronto! I'm glad I got to meet with you before you go." Ga Eul said brightly.
 
Jan Di's expression turned sad.
 
"What's wrong, Jan Di?"
 
"Joon Pyo…" Jan Di sighed, "I was just thinking that it's great that you want to see me before I go, but Joon Pyo is too busy to even send me off. I saw him this morning and that's probably the last time I will see him for a week."
 
"Ugh, that pabo. He only knows the meaning of 'priorities' when it comes to work. It's bad enough that he's made you wait-"
 
Jan Di cut off Ga Eul. "He's really busy. I knew that he would be when I accepted his proposal. I just didn't think it would be so bad. We barely see each other once a week. But he tries."
 
"Tries? You think that taking you to dinner once in a blue moon is trying?"
 
"Ga Eul…"
 
"I'm serious, Jan Di. You've been together for ages and he still refuses to marry you." Ga Eul frowned.
 
"I wouldn't call it refusing. He's bu-"
 
This time it was Ga Eul's turn to cut off Jan Di. "He's busy, right? That's no excuse. People have to learn to balance their career and relationships. Take Yi Jung and I for example…"
 
"Ga Eul, no offense, but comparatively Yi Jung oppa isn't running an international conglomerate. He has the luxury as a potter to spend time with you. Joon Pyo and I are just busy all the time."
 
"I still think he could put in more of an effort."
 
"I know I brought it up, but let's not talk about this anymore. It's my last night in Seoul for a week, let's enjoy ourselves!" Jan Di said, trying to lighten the mood.
 
The server arrived with a huge plate of macaroons. "These look delish!" Ga Eul exclaimed.
 
Ga Eul and Yi Jung had been married for three years. Who would have ever thought that her feisty little friend could tie down Mr. Casanova? They were the picture of marital bliss. Yi Jung gave Ga Eul confidence and Ga Eul helped mend Yi Jung's tormented heart.
 
Friendly conversation continued for another hour before Jan Di stood up. "I've got to get home. I'll pay this time!"
 
Ga Eul agreed to pay next time and the two friends embraced.
 
"Have fun, Jan Di. Be safe. And don't forget to send me a postcard!"
 
Jan Di laughed, "I'll be back before it even arrives, Ga Eul."
 
"I know, but still!" Ga Eul protested.
 
"Okay, I promise to send one."
 
Jan Di walked into an empty condo and sighed.
 
"Well, I guess I really won't get to spend time with him before I leave."
 
She flipped on the lights and headed to the bedroom. A note was on the pillow.
 
Jan Di-ah,
 
I probably won't be back tonight. There are a lot of contracts to review and I have a dinner meeting later at Shinhwa Hotel. Most likely I will crash for the night there. I came home to leave you this note and to tell you I love you. I was afraid if I talked to you on the phone or saw you in person, I wouldn't want to let you go.
 
All my love,
Gu Joon Pyo
 
Jan Di rolled her eyes. Actions speak louder than words, Joon, but I love you too.
 
She tucked the note in the pocket of her hand bag. Then she proceeded to pack for her trip. Finally after everything was ready to go for the morning, she crawled into bed and fell asleep.