Chapter 12

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You

Jan Di prepared some tea and set it on the table for Kang Hee Soo. She sat down across from Madam Kang, her eyes downcast.

"Omonim…" Jan Di started.

"Tell me, Jan Di-ah, did you have fun in Toronto?" Hee Soo sat back smugly and crossed her arms.

"Pardon?" Jan Di asked in confusion.

"Don't act innocent with me." Hee Soo said as she reached in her handbag and threw a bunch of photos on the table.

Jan Di picked them up and flipped through them one by one. There was a picture of her and Ji Hoo nearly kissing at the CN tower. Another picture was of the pair playing together at the arcade. One picture showed them at the museum. And the final picture was of the two getting on the skywheel together. Jan Di knew how this looked.

"I have eyes everywhere, my dear." Hee Soo leaned forward and looked Jan Di square in the eyes forcing her to look at the ground.

"Who?" Jan Di asked meekly.

"Did you think that Jack was just a chauffeur? I hired him to keep tabs on you." Hee Soo said with a sickly smile.

Surprised at this revelation, Jan Di rushed to defend herself, "Omonim, there's been a misunderstanding."

"They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't think so. These pictures are clear as day what you have been up to." Hee Soo said matter-of-factly.

Jan Di didn't know what to say. How could she defend herself when these photos made it look like she had an affair with Ji Hoo. "I know what this looks like, but I promise nothing happened. Ji Hoo-sunbae was at the conference and we just toured the sights as friends. "

"I could believe that if it wasn't for this picture." Kang Hee Soo pointed at the photo of the two of them nearly kissing.

"Omonim, I didn't do what you are thinking I did." Jan Di was near tears.

Hee Soo sighed. "Fine, let's say you didn't. Nevertheless, it's time for you to get your head on straight and go back to Joon Pyo. Your life belongs to Shinhwa now. For better or worse, you're engaged to Joon Pyo and that carries a great deal of responsibility."

"I am just not sure if Joon Pyo even sees me as his fiancé anymore." Jan Di mused aloud.

"That's irrelevant! Did you think love would last forever?" Kang Hee Soo laughed bitterly. "This is why I was against your relationship. You have your head in the clouds. You aren't meant for this kind of life. You are a commoner."

"Omonim, aren't you being harsh?" Jan Di looked through her bleary eyes at the cold woman in front of her.

"Am I? I don't think I'm being nearly harsh enough. But, despite my reservations regarding your relationship with my son, you have been together long enough now that a split would be detrimental to Shinhwa's image." Kang Hee Soo stood up and grabbed her bag.

"As for the pictures, I'll leave the originals with you. There's no need for Joon Pyo to see those. I expect you to go home today. Make peace with Joon Pyo and get ready to prepare for your wedding. There is a dinner with the Gu family elders this weekend. Your presence is required." And with that Kang Hee Soo headed for the door. As she opened it, Ga Eul was standing on the other side surprised to see Madam Kang on the other side.

Hee Soo looked at Ga Eul and then turned around to Jan Di, "It's time to grow up and get rid of the excess baggage in your life." She glanced once more at Ga Eul with a look of disdain before pushing past her to leave."

"What was that all about?" Ga Eul asked.

Jan Di flopped into the chair and rested her head in her hand. Ga Eul walked over and saw the photos on the table.

"Geum Jan Di! Is this you and Ji Hoo-sunbae?" Ga Eul said surprised.

"Yes." Jan Di replied exhasperated.

"He was at the conference?"

"Yes."

"Omo…omo! What's this picture?" Ga Eul pointed at the near kiss photo.

"It's not what you think. We didn't kiss." Jan Di was too tired to defend herself properly. She hoped Ga Eul would take her word for it.

"Well did you have something in your eye he was trying to remove? Was he checking your nose for boogers? Is he that far sighted that he couldn't see your face?" Ga Eul asked sarcastically.

"Yah! Chu Ga Eul!" Jan Di sat up in her seat.

Ga Eul put her hands up in a gesture for Jan Di to calm down. "I'm just saying this photo is awfully suspicious."

Defensively Jan Di responded, "You're right, it is! We did nearly kiss! It just happened that way. But we didn't and I made it clear to Ji Hoo-sunbae that I am engaged."

"Wow. I can't believe you ran in to him…halfway across the world of all places. Do you think it's fate?" Ga Eul asked whimsically.

"Stop talking nonsense, Ga Eul." Jan Di waved off Ga Eul's question.

"Alright, I get it. I'll leave it alone for now. But you and Ji Hoo do look good together…" she said as she flipped through the photos.

Jan Di shot Ga Eul a look and she dropped the photos back on the table immediately.

"Here's your soup." Ga Eul put the bag on the table and procured a bowl of soup for Jan Di. "Eat it and then get in the shower. I'll call Yi Jung to pick us up and take you home."

But Jan Di didn't want to go home. She needed time to be alone and clear her thoughts. Madam Kang didn't give her that option. She finished her soup, took two headache pills and had a quick shower. When she came out, Yi Jung was sitting at the table with Ga Eul.

"Well if it isn't my favorite Wonder Drunk. Did you enjoy using my car as your personal karaoke?"

"Sunbae…"

"I'm teasing. You okay?" Yi Jung said with a smile.

"I'm fine."

"Well let's get you home then." Ga Eul said.

The car ride from the hotel to Jan Di's apartment was shorter than she hoped it would be. She didn't say much as she was lost in her thoughts on what to do with Joon Pyo. Finally the car pulled up in front of her apartment building.

"Thanks for taking care of me." She said to Ga Eul and Yi Jung. "Dinner is on me next time." She bowed and said goodbye.

"Jan Di, call me if you need me, okay?" Ga Eul looked sympathetically at her friend.

"I will." She waved as the car pulled away, then she took a deep breath before entering the apartment building. She dreaded what waited for her as she rode the elevator up to the top floor. The doors opened and she trudged to her apartment door. She entered the code on the lock as she thought that there was no turning back now.

What she walked in to was surprising. There in the kitchen was Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo talking over a bottle of soju.

"Joon Pyo-ah….sunbae…" Her heart began to race as she wondered what was going on.

Joon Pyo closed the distance between himself and Jan Di in seconds. He grabbed her tightly in an embrace. "Don't ever leave like that again. I thought you weren't coming back. You have no idea how scared I was."

Over Joon Pyo's shoulder she could see Ji Hoo's look away with a pained expression.

"I just needed time to clear my head." She said.

"Well, I'll leave you two alone. Glad to see you again Joon." Ji Hoo headed for the door. "See you at work tomorrow, Jan Di?"

"Huh? Oh…yes. See you then." Jan Di said bashfully.

With a quick wave, Ji Hoo left the apartment.

"Jan Di-ah, are you okay?" Joon Pyo gently put his palms on either side of her face.

Jan Di was emotionally exhausted and did not want to rehash the events of the past couple of days.

"I am really tired, Joon." she released herself from his grasp and threw her purse on the couch, " I'm going to lay down."

"I'll come with you."

"I'm sure you're needed at the office. Don't feel that you have to stay with me. I'll be okay." She said in earnest.

"I can take some time off, jagiya." Jun Pyo said as he ran his fingers through her hair.

You take time off when you're afraid you'll lose me. Jan Di thought but dared not say out loud.

Jan Di went to the bedroom and changed into her pajamas before crawling into bed. Joon Pyo sided up to her and lifted her head gently so she could use his arm as a pillow. She was in no mood for this, but also no mood to fight.

"Look, I am sorry. I have messed up so much in the past. Will you forgive me?" Joon Pyo asked looking down at her while her hair.

"Mmm." Jan Di murmured in a halfhearted acceptance of his apology.

Joon Pyo kissed her on the forehead. "Let's just put this behind us for now and focus on the wedding, okay?"

"Mmm."

"Saranghae, jagiya." Joon whispered as he caressed her face.

Jan Di closed her eyes. Her life had been uneventful for the past few years and now everything had been turned upside down. She felt like she was in the middle of some crazy love triangle – as if this was a erse replay of her high school years between Joon and Ji Hoo. And what would she say to Ji Hoo tomorrow? Would things be okay? Despite her thoughts, she succumbed to her exhaustion and fell asleep.