Chapter 1

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You
Jan Di sat down at the dining table, picked up her chop sticks and began toying with her rice.
 
"Good Morning, Joon." she said offering a smile to the handsome man sitting across from her.
 
Without looking up, Gu Joon Pyo muttered, "Morning."
 
She studied her fiancé and his lack of reaction to her presence. Gu Joon Pyo was immersed in the financial section of the morning paper. He had recently cut his curly locks in order to appear more professional. He was dressed smart, in a three piece Armani suit with handmade Italian leather loafers. His cufflinks were solid gold to match the pin on his silk tie. He was, after all the CEO of Shinhwa. Keeping up appearances was everything.
 
Jan Di cleared . "So I just finished making reservations for my trip to Toronto."
 
"Mm," Joon Pyo answered, still immersed in the newspaper.
 
"I'm pretty excited to be attending the International Physicians Association Conference."
 
"Mm."
 
Realizing that Gu Joon Pyo's answers were on auto-pilot, she continued. "The director tells me that I'm one of the youngest Korean physicians to ever attend."
 
"Mm."
 
Agitated, she looked directly at Joon Pyo and announced, "Oh, and I'm pregnant."
 
Joon Pyo dropped the paper. "What?!"
 
"Well at least I have your attention now."
 
"Mian, Jan Di-ah. I'm just reading an article on our company. What were you saying?"
 
Jan Di sighed. "The physician's conference in Toronto? I leave tomorrow. "
 
"Is that so? How long will you be gone?"
 
"About a week. I was wondering if you could take some time off and go with me? The conference only lasts about 4 hours a day. I thought we could somewhat make a vacation of it."
 
"I can't. I have a shareholders meeting next Tuesday and I have to make an appearance at the new Shinhwa resort in Atami, Japan."
 
"Oh," Jan Di replied, disheartened.
 
"But hey, when you get back, let's meet up for dinner. I'll make the reservations." Joon Pyo looked at his watch, "Aish…I'm late. Don't wait up for me tonight, okay?"
 
"But…" she started but couldn't finish because he had already left the dining room. …will I even see you before I leave?
 
Jan Di and Joon Pyo had been engaged for six years. Seven years since his return from the United States. Six years since she finally accepted his proposal. Five years since they decided to move into a condo in Gangnam. Three years since she graduated from medical school. She toyed with the engagement ring on her finger. You said we'd get married after I graduated, pabo. But life had intervened. Shinhwa opened more and more international offices which required his time and attention and Jan Di found herself spending more and more time alone. Their wedding was put on the backburner and each time she brought it up, Joon Pyo cited scheduling conflicts.
 
To outsiders, they looked like a couple in love. Jan Di learned well how to mingle at corporate functions and how to navigate reporters questioning when the wedding would finally happen. At home, she was lucky to see him once a week and even then it was usually in passing. Occasionally they'd have dinner at a nice restaurant. Each night, Jan Di cooked a delicious dinner for two just in case. Joon Pyo's portion usually went into a doshirak for the next day.
 
She pushed herself away from the dining table and collected the plates and bowls. After putting the dishes in the washer, she grabbed her lab coat and purse, gave herself one final look in the mirror and headed out of the house for work.