Chapter 13

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You

Jan Di woke up to the smell of breakfast. Not ready to face the day yet, she took a shower and got dressed in her scrubs. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and finally made her way to the kitchen.

"What's all this?" she asked.

"I thought I'd make breakfast. Eat with me." Jun Pyo smiled as he put the last of the dishes on the table.

"You haven't cooked for me in a long time." Jan Di was a bit surprised.

Jun Pyo cast his eyes down, "I know. And I'm sorry for that."

Jan Di picked up her chopsticks and put a small bite of rice in and then she tried the kimchi. She didn't have much of an appetite.

"Does it taste bad?" Joon Pyo asked.

"No, it's good. I'm just not very hungry." Jan Di said with a bit of gloom in her voice.

"Fine then." Joon Pyo became agitated and slapped his chopsticks down on the table.

Shocked at his sudden change in attitude, she asked, "What?"

Joon Pyo threw his hands in the air. "I took yesterday off, I make breakfast today. You could be a bit more appreciative of my efforts."

Jan DI closed her eyes and said out of exhaustion, "Please, let's not do this. It's been a rough couple of days for me too."

Joon Pyo sighed, realizing his temper had gotten the best of him. "Look, I have to go to work. Take the rest for your lunch. I'll see you tonight."

He gathered his things and headed out to the office. Jan Di sat at the table stunned. She was tired. She was sad. She was angry. She felt guilt. She was many things, but she didn't feel like herself. How could he expect everything to be forgiven over an evening off and some breakfast? I can't deal with this right now, she thought. She pushed herself away from the table, made herself a doshirak and left for work.

When she arrived, Ji Hoo was already there sitting at grandfather's old desk.

"Good morning." he said. "You look tired."

"I am a bit. But I am okay. By the way, what were you doing at our apartment last night?" Jan Di asked.

"I dropped by to see if you made it home safely. When I arrived Joon Pyo was a frantic mess. He told me everything." Ji Hoo looked up at her waiting for her reaction.

"I'm sure he did." She mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing, sunbae. Let's get to work." She said.

The day passed by and the two of them worked in unison to take care of the various patients that came through the door. Jan Di took care of one older lady that came on a regular basis to have her blood pressure checked.

"Dear, are you married yet?"

"No, halmoni." Jan Di answered with a forced smile.

The older woman placed Jan Di's hands in her's, "It would be so nice if you and that doctor would hurry up and get married. You've had this ring on for far too long."

"Oh…no, halmoni. This ring…I am engaged to someone else." Jan Di said.

"Well he should hurry up!" she said in mock frustration.

That's what I've been saying, Jan Di thought. "You're all done, halmoni. Your blood pressure is good. Keep taking your medicines and go for a walk at least once a day. I'll see you next week, okay?"

The older woman left and Jan Di realized she needed some air. She walked out back of the clinic. A few moments later Ji Hoo was standing beside her.

"Why don't you take the rest of the day off? You look like you need it." He suggested.

"I feel better when I'm here. I promise I'm okay." She slightly smiled up at him.

The day progressed normally and soon it was time to lock up. Ji Hoo was already mopping the floor.

"Sunbae, I can take care of that!" Jan Di rushed over to take the mop from Ji Hoo, but ended up slipping on the wet floor. She stumbled forward and grabbed onto Ji Hoo's jacket. He dropped the mop and found himself falling forward while wrapping his arms around Jan Di to stop her fall. When they both regained their balance, Jan Di and Ji Hoo opened their eyes, but neither could talk due to an accidental kiss thanks to Jan Di pulling him down by his jacket.

They parted immediately and Ji Hoo helped Jan Di stand up.

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay, sunbae?" she asked as she brushed off her jacket, her face flushed.

"I'm fine, no need to be sorry." He sheepishly looked at the ground.

Suddenly a surge of terror came over Jan Di. "Oh god, what if she got that on camera, too?" She dropped to her knees and began to cry.

"Jan Di! What's wrong?" Ji Hoo asked kneeling down beside her and putting an arm around her.

"Don't touch me!" she pushed him away and Ji Hoo withdrew his hand in shock.

"I'm sorry, Jan Di-ah…" Ji Hoo was confused.

Jan Di began to calm a bit. "No, I'm sorry."

"What is all this about? What were you talking about with the camera?" he asked.

"It's better if I don't say…"

"You'll make me worry if you don't say."

Jan Di looked up at Ji Hoo and sighed. "Madam Kang…"

"Yeah, what about the witch?" he asked as he rolled his eyes.

"She had us followed in Toronto."

"What?" he wasn't expecting to hear that.

Jan Di got up and walked into the office and pulled the photos out of her purse. "I haven't figured out what to do with these yet. Look." She held the photos out to Ji Hoo.

"Unbelievable…" he said. "After all these years, she's still up to these tricks."

"I tried to explain to her that nothing happened. She said she didn't believe me. She says I belong to Shinhwa now."

"Jan Di, you aren't some piece of property…" he reassured her.

"I know. I really don't know if I can do this anymore, Ji Hoo." Jan Di began to cry.

Out of instinct, Ji Hoo handed her his handkerchief, "Do what?"

"This. All of this! It's too much! Joon Pyo ignoring me and then doting on me when he thinks I've run away. Madam Kang following me around. And you." She looked up at him.

Ji Hoo quietly waited for her to continue.

She looked at the handkerchief in her hands, "You've shaken my heart. It's true! I don't know which way is up or down anymore. I love Joon Pyo, but have we grown apart? Have we changed so much? And what do I do with you? How do I deal with all this at once?" Jan Di sobbed.

"If I knew I would cause you so much pain, I wouldn't have come back." Ji Hoo put his head in his hands.

Jan Di had a rush of panic come over her, "Don't ever say that again. You can't leave again. This is not your fault. All of this has been a long time coming."

"I am so sorry." Ji Hoo said and put his arms around her in a hug. "If you need to take a few days off…"

"No, right now this place is the only good thing. I need to get away from the house. From the Gu family. And if I can only do that for 8 hours a day, it's still the breathing room that I desperately need."

Ji Hoo her hair. "I'm always here."

"I know, sunbae." And that's part of the problem, she thought to herself silently. "Thank you."

Once Jan Di had cried herself out, Ji Hoo helped her up and brought her things to her. "Go home and get some rest."

"I will. Good night, sunbae."

Ji Hoo stood there stunned after she left. The revelation that Jan Di may have feelings for him hit him like a ton of bricks. He felt happiness and guilt at the same time. But what can I do? Her feelings make no difference while she's engaged. All I can do is stand by her side while she goes through these times. All I can do is be her friend.

But Ji Hoo's heart ached at that thought. He didn't know if he could live a life where his love would go unrequited. However, he knew now that Jan Di was back in his life, he couldn't leave again. He loved her too much.

Perhaps I should talk to Joon Pyo. Maybe it's time he realized what a special thing he could lose if he doesn't straighten up and if his family doesn't back off. Ji Hoo thought. But then, what if that means I Iose Jan Di forever? Ugh, Ji Hoo, don't be selfish. You're doing this for Jan Di.

Then he remembered their accidental kiss earlier and he put his fingers to his lips. He couldn't help but smile, even if it was an accident.

He went to the window and watched Jan Di's car pull away from the clinic. "Saranghae, Jan Di-ah."


A/N: Hope you are enjoying the story so far. Next chapter preview: Jan Di and Joon Pyo attend the Gu family dinner. Ji Hoo and Joon Pyo discuss Jan Di. And Jan Di's ultimate reaction to what's happened so far. See you next chapter!