Chapter 19

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You

Upon returning to the room, Jan Di was surprised to see Joon Pyo sitting up in bed, awake and alert.

“Welcome back.” He said with a huge smile on his face.

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Never felt better.” Joon Pyo reached out to Jan Di and she gave him her hand.  He continued, “Want to go on a date?”

“What are you talking about?” Jan Di was taken aback.

Joon Pyo smiled, “The doctor said I can leave the hospital as long as I return this evening for pre-operative preparations.”

“I don’t know…” she wavered.

“Jan Di-ah, I’ve been having spells like this for months.  It takes a day or so for me to recover, but then I am perfectly fine, all things considered.  So let’s go on a date, tonight.  Just you and I.”

“If you’re sure…”

“Seriously, I’m sure!” Joon Pyo gave her hand a small squeeze. “So go home, get dressed and bring me a change of clothes, too.  I want to spend the night before my surgery with you.”

Jan Di had mixed feeling about going out with Joon Pyo.  She wasn’t sure if it was a good idea given his current condition.  She considered how eager Joon Pyo was, and if the doctor gave his clearance, then why not?

Suddenly the door opened and the F4 boys walked in.

“Yo, my bro!” Woo Bin fist bumped Joon Pyo.

“Always have to make everything so dramatic, man.” Yi Jung said.

“He wouldn’t be Joon Pyo otherwise.” Ji Hoo chimed in.

Jan Di laughed, “Alright, you guys take care of him while I run home.  Be back in a flash!”  She left the room.

Yi Jung sat at the bottom of Joon Pyo’s bed.  Woo Bin settled on the couch and Ji Hoo leaned against the wall by the window.

“What’s up with keeping this a secret?” Yi Jung asked.

“At first I wanted to get through this without anyone knowing, but I should have told you all.  I’m sorry.” Joon Pyo looked down.

“You shouldn’t have left us in the dark.  You shouldn’t have gone through this alone.” Ji Hoo said.

“We’re always here for you, chingu.” Woo Bin started, “We’re F4.  Through thick and thin, we fight it out together. Either way, after this surgery, let’s go on a trip to New York and tear the town up!”

Yi Jung chimed in, “Hmm, haven’t been there in a while.”

“Yeah, what was it, your third honeymoon or something?” Ji Hoo joked.

The four boys laughed.  Their conversations and jokes continued.  They reminisced about the old days.  When Jan Di returned, she stood outside for a bit watching the guys through the window.  She smiled to herself and knew the F4 were more than just friends.  No matter how much time passed, no matter the distance, this band of brothers were was a unique mix of personalities that were inseparable.

She opened the door, “Am I interrupting?”

“Nah,” Woo Bin said, “I gotta jet home to Mika.”

“Ga Eul’s mother is coming over for dinner, so I’m going to head out, too.” Yi Jung added.

Ji Hoo walked over to Joon Pyo, “We’ll all be back first thing in the morning.  You’re going to get through this and you’ll be back to being an in no time.” Ji Hoo smiled.

“You know it.” Joon Pyo laughed.

Woo Bin, Yi Jung and Ji Hoo all left the room.  It was just Joon Pyo and Jan Di now.

“Here, I brought you some clothes.” She held out a bag to him.

“You look amazing.” Joon Pyo said to Jan Di.  She was wearing a purple empire waist, knee length dress .  She accented her outfit with silver shoes and accessories.  Her hair was tied back with a silver ribbon.  On her neck was the star shaped pendant Joon Pyo had given her so long ago.  Joon Pyo noticed and smiled.

After Joon Pyo had changed, he came out to Jan Di and embraced her with a kiss. At that moment, she couldn’t help but to feel guilty about the kiss she shared with Ji Hoo.  She reminded herself that at the time she didn’t know about any of this, but it didn’t reassure her at all.

“Where do you want to go?” Jan Di asked as he pulled his face away.

“I have a few ideas.  Let’s jet.” Joon Pyo winked at Jan Di.

They made their way down to the hospital lobby where a limousine was waiting for them just outside the door.  The chauffeur went to open the car door but Joon Pyo stepped in first.  Joon Pyo opened Jan Di’s door for her.  She was taken aback, slightly, remembering that this is how Joon Pyo used to be.  Joon Pyo slid in beside her and held her hand.

“Hungry?” He asked.

“Always.” She joked.

The limousine pulled away from the hospital.  A few moments later, Joon Pyo leaned forward to the driver, “Pull over here, please.”  The driver pulled up to a roadside stand.  “I have a craving for fish cake on a stick.”

“Are you sure?  We’re all dressed up.  Wouldn’t you like to eat somewhere else?” Jan Di asked puzzled.

Joon Pyo opened the door and pulled her out by the hand.  “Absolutely sure.”

They sat down at the counter and ordered fish cakes, tteokbokki and a bottle of soju.  Joon Pyo took a bite of the fish cake.  “Mmmm!  I’ve been dying to have one of these.”  He turned towards Jan Di. “Yah, you remember when I ate these with your father and brother?  I wonder what the look on my face was back then.”

“Knowing you, probably disgust at first…” Jan Di nudged.

“Maybe, but your father and brother introduced me to a whole new world that day.  They must have spent a fortune on my appetite.”

“They did.” She said playfully.

“Hey, I’m making up for it now!”

“That you are, Joon Pyo.”

He put a toothpick in the tteokbokki and offered to feed Jan Di. “Aaaaah!”

“Seriously, I can feed myself.” She said playfully with a smile.

“AHHHHH!” He said insistently.  She opened and took the offering.

Joon Pyo put his arm around her.  “When my surgery is over, let’s go to New Caladonia, okay?”

“Absolutely.” Jan Di said with a smile, but deep inside she was a nervous wreck over the impending surgery.  She didn’t understand how Joon Pyo could be so carefree, but she went along with it anyway.

When they finished their dinner, Joon Pyo said, “We’re on borrowed time, Jan Di-ah.  Let’s head to the next stop.”

“Where are we going now?”

“It’s a surprise.”

They both got back into the limousine and headed out to Joon Pyo’s surprise location.  The two of them talked.  They laughed.  Jan Di felt like she had finally gotten her old Joon Pyo back.  She snuggled against him and he kissed her on the forehead.  Finally the limousine pulled up to a church.  Joon Pyo offered his hand as Jan Di stepped out of the car. 

She looked up at the church.  It was almost like a cathedral, but smaller.  “Joon-ah, what are we doing here?”

“Come on!” he said as he dragged her by the hand up the stairs and into the large doors of the church.

“I don’t understand?  What are we doing here?” Jan Di stared at the interior of the empty church.  There were large stained glass windows, several rows of wooden pews, and statues of religious figures everywhere.

Joon Pyo turned to face Jan Di.  “Jagiya, I have put this off for far too long for the most selfish reasons.  Although this is unofficial, let’s exchange our vows today.  Will you marry me?  We can register our marriage after my surgery.” Joon Pyo held out the crook of his arm for Jan Di to take it.

“This seems so sudden.  But my answer is yes.” Jan Di felt sorry to Ji Hoo at that moment, but this was the man she chose first.  She had been waiting for him all this time.  They slowly proceeded down the aisle towards the empty altar.  Joon Pyo turned to face Jan Di once again and held his hands out.  Jan Di placed her hands in his.

“I’ll go first.” Joon Pyo started, “Jan Di-ah, we have been through so much and you have stuck by me through the best times and the worst.  Even though I tried to push you away, you came back to me.  I am so thankful to you, but yet I am sorry to you at the same time.  For years I have given you nothing but trouble, and you gave me so much love in return.  If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be the man I am today.  You have changed me for good.  I will cherish you until the end of time.  I will continue to love you even after that.  Without you, I am nothing.  I promise to be your star, ever watching over my moon.” He gently held the star pendant around Jan Di’s neck. “From now until forever.”

Jan Di had tears in her eyes as she looked up at Joon Pyo.  He wiped away a stray tear from her face.  “I-I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything.”

“No.  I want to.” Jan Di began, “Many years ago, when I sullied your face with an ice-cream cone…”

Joon Pyo laughed.

She continued, “…I would have never believed that I would fall for this giant jerk.  He was rough around the edges, but then again so was I.  You brought me into a world I could have only dreamed of.  I gained a lover and three brothers who protected me fiercely.  I am a stronger person because of you.  I am also grateful and sorry to you.  You are my star and forever will be.  I will always love you.  I will forever.”

The two of them kissed before God who was their only witness that night.  Bittersweet tears flowed from Jan Di’s eyes.

“Why are you crying, my love?” Joon Pyo asked as he wiped away a tear with his thumb.

“Don’t all girls cry at weddings?” She mused, but deep inside she was still thinking about the surgery and a small part thought about Ji Hoo.

A short while later they headed back to the hospital.  “It’s getting dark,” Joon Pyo noticed.

“Mmm.” Jan Di agreed as she rested her head on his shoulder.

Later that night as Joon Pyo climbed in the hospital bed, he looked over at Jan Di. “I have one more request.”

“Anything.” She said.

He patted the bed beside him. “Sleep here with me tonight.”

She crawled next to him.  He opened his arm and she laid her head down and wrapped her arm around his torso.  He gently her hair.

“I’m scared, Jan Di.” He said suddenly.

Jan Di was quiet for a moment before starting, “I am too.  But you’ll get through this.  You have to.”

“Saranghae, jagiya.” He said

“Saranghae.” She answered.

The two of them held each other in silence until both finally drifted to sleep.