Chapter 14

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You

The week passed by as any other week would. Jan Di and Joon Pyo passed by each other every day before work with the usual pleasantries, but there was a tense atmosphere in the air. Jan Di focused on her work and would come home. Sometime Joon would be there, and sometimes he worked late.

Finally the day came for the dinner with the Gu family elders. Jan Di dressed up in a hanbok with a peach top and purple skirt embroidered with flowers. She tied the light purple bow and pulled her hair back into a low bun. As she exited her dressing room, Joon Pyo raised his eyes to take in the sight of her.

"You look really beautiful, jagiya." He said. Joon was wearing a smartly tailored navy blue suit with a white shirt and a muted blue tie with navy blue designs.

"Thank you. You look very handsome." She said bashfully.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

Jan Di nodded her head.

The limousine was waiting for them downstairs to transport them to the Gu family home. Jan Di didn't much like the pomp and circumstance of these types of dinners. She had no problem paying her respects to her elders, but Joon's family was very cold towards her.

They arrived at the house and entered through the large front doors. She was surprised to see the guests. There before her and Joon was the rest of the F4, Woo Bin, Yi Jung and Ji Hoo.

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked pleasantly.

"Well it's good to see you, too." Yi Jung joked.

"Of course I'm happy to see you guys!" she ran up and gave each one a hug. "But what's going on?"

"I invited them of course." Madam Kang walked into the foyer. Immediately Jan Di cast her eyes downward. "How could I not invite them on such a joyous occasion?"

Jan Di looked up at Joon Pyo quizzically but he just looked away.

"We're officially announcing your wedding to the elders today. Your mother and father are here, too, Jan Di-ah." Madam Kang said with a smirk on her face.

Jan Di closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Thank you, omonim."

"Well, either way, you clean up nice in a hanbok." And with that Madam Kang spun around and left the foyer.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di's eyes met. Silently they exchanged meaningful glances.

Jan Di-ah are you okay?

Sunbae…I'm not okay. She's up to something.

Jan Di decided to switch gears. "Are Ga Eul and Mika here?" she asked referring to the wives of Yi Jung and Woo Bin.

"Mika wanted to come and see you, Jan Di, but Madam Kang only invited us." Woo Bin answered.

"She made it clear there was no room for additional guests." Yi Jung said sardonically, crossing his arms.

"It must be hard to be away from Ga Eul for five minutes, huh?" Jan Di jokingly nudged Yi Jung.

"Omo! My daughter! Let me look at you!" Na Gong Joo, Jan Di's mother, rushed in and grabbed her daughter by the hands. "This hanbok must have cost a fortune."

Jan Di's father, Geum Il-bong, followed shortly behind his wife. "Oh how I would love to clean such a lovely hanbok. Just look at this fabric! This is silk, right? It must be silk."

Jan Di rolled her eyes while the F4 boys stifled their laughter.

"Hi Oma, Appa. It's good to see you." Jan Di said giving her parents a hug.

"Is it? You never stop by. We live in the same city. I actually forgot I even had a daughter!"

Jan Di ignored her statement and asked, "How is Kang San?"

"Oh so you worry about your brother too?" Gong Joo folded her arms.

"Stop it, Gong Joo-ah. Today is a special occasion! Your brother is fine, my daughter. He's so busy at Shinhwa University we hardly see him either." Il-Bong replied giving his wife a sideways glance.

"Our daughter is getting married into the Shinhwa family and Kang San getting the opportunity to go to such a prestigious school…we owe you so much, son-in-law." Gong Joo said and both parents bowed deeply before Joon Pyo.

"Omonim, abunim, please, you're embarrassing me." Joon Pyo answered, slightly red faced.

At that moment Butler Lee arrived. "The elders are ready to receive you both."

Jan Di looked over at the F4 boys, her knights in shining armor. Woo Bin and Yi Jung nodded and smiled at her. Ji Hoo looked away.

Jan DI and Joon Pyo made their way to the elders and presented themselves in a formal kneeling bow.

Joon Pyo sat up, "We are here today to receive your blessing."

Most of the elders nodded in agreement, except for one. Kang Hee Soo's mother. "I object. This girl isn't worthy of this family! She shouldn't be here!"

Jan Di's face was one of abject horror. Joon Pyo just cast his eyes downward. Geum Il Bong had to restrain Na Gong Ju. Madam Kang rushed over and put her hands over her mother's, "Omoni, now is not the time. This is the girl your grandson has chosen."

The elder woman just crossed her arms and looked away, visibly perturbed.

Once the greetings were over, everyone dispersed before dinner was served.

"Are you alright?" Ji Hoo caught up with Jan Di. The other F4 boys were trailing behind.

Jan Di gave a half laugh. "I'm fine. I know not everyone accepts our relationship, sunbae."

She left the group of them behind and walked out onto the veranda to get some fresh air. Ji Hoo saw Joon Pyo retreat to the study. He decided now was the time for the talk. Ji Hoo entered the study as Joon Pyo was pouring himself a glass of brandy.

"You want one, Ji Hoo?"

"Sure."

The two men stood silent, sipping on their brandy.

"I am tired of all of this." Joon Pyo said suddenly.

"All of what?"

"This pomp and circumstance around this rushed wedding."

"Rushed?" Ji Hoo laughed incredulously, "You've been engaged for six years, Joon Pyo."

Joon Pyo just looked down. "I know. I've made her wait too long."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Maybe I've become married to my work. Maybe the romance has faded. Maybe my grandmother is right and Jan Di is not meant to be part of my family. Maybe I should have married Ha Jae Kyung all those years ago."

"Yah, Gu Joon Pyo. You don't mean that." Ji Hoo said, his anger rising.

Joon Pyo swirled the brandy in his glass. "I'm not sure."

Ji Hoo grabbed Joon Pyo by the lapels of his jacket. "You endured everything just to give up now?! I gave up on her for you!"

"Stop it. Both of you." Jan Di said with a shaky voice as stood in the door way with tears in her eyes. Then she spun around and left the room.

"Jan Di!" both Joon Pyo and Ji Hoo shouted after her.

"Aish." Joon Pyo flopped into the large leather office chair.

"Are you going to go after her?" Ji Hoo asked in a panic. Joon Pyo remained silent.

"You bastard, if you won't I will." And with that Ji Hoo sprinted out of the study and down the hall. He saw Yi Jung and Woo Bin in the dining area. "Did you see Jan Di come this way?"

"No, what's wrong?" Woo Bin asked.

Ji Hoo didn't have a chance to answer as something caught the corner of his eye. He turned to look out the window to see Jan Di running across the lawn.

"Dinner is served!" Butler Lee announced.

Ji Hoo sprinted out the front door to run after Jan Di, but he was a moment too late. All he saw were the taillights of the limousine as it pulled away.


A/N: Alright - there's a fourth chapter in a row for you, my friends! What's going to happen now? Where did Jan Di go? What the heck is Joon Pyo's problem? Should I make you wait a couple days before the next update? ;) Hang in there, darlings. An update will come soon.