When Everyone Met in the Middle

Not Over (Sequel to Re-Encounter)

You never came back that night.  You didn’t ask to turn the cab back insanely fast to where you started and go running straight to Jack’s welcoming arms despite the invitation.  Instead you went straight home and retreated to your bedroom, taking your blanket from the bed and wrapping it around your damp body to rest on your red couch.  The same red couch you sat on over a thousand times for long years when you needed to rest your weary body.  The same red couch that Nichkhun was looking for.  Right now, all you wanted was to be alone with the silence in your room.

 

Not even an hour has passed and you heard your door open and close followed by the sounds of hurried steps leading to your room.  Jack did say he was coming after you and true to his words he did.  He sat down on the edge of the couch, next to the lump that he was fairly certain was his girlfriend curled up under the blanket.  He didn’t say a word, just as you stayed quiet under the blanket for several minutes.  Patience was definitely one of the characteristics Jack was born with.  He could always be patient even with the little things, like waiting for you.

 

You dragged the blanket down enough so your face was visible, your face was flushed from crying, your hair still a little wet from the rain.  Your hair stood in different direction as you makeup was smudged all over your face.  It was dark and you had no idea how long you have been hiding, if it was very late in the night or too early in the morning.  You held your chest as you tried to steady your breathing.

 

Jack unexpectedly smiles to see you out of your cave and brushed his thumb against your cheek, smoothing away the hairs that were trying to work its way into the corner of your mouth.  “Let’s get my baby girl a warm bath and then dried and a good night’s rest, alright?”

 

You squeezed your eyes shut, pain lines creasing your forehead as you snuck your hand out from under the blanket to grip his fingers tight.  “I’m sor–“  You tried to apologize again, but was stopped mid-sentence with Jack’s finger on your lips.

 

“Shhh…”  Jack shook his head.  He scooped you up and carried you inside the bathroom as you curled up into his arms and then sets you right under the shower.  “I’ll be out here when you’re done.”  Jack closes the bathroom door behind him.

 

After your shower, you stared at the mirror in front of you.  You look like a wreck and could pass for a walking corpse.  And then you began to wonder how could Jack still want you.  When you got out, he was still there quietly waiting for you with a warm glass of milk.  He didn’t say anything more, he didn’t ask about anything else and you didn’t speak a word either.  He just dried your hair with a towel, made you drink your milk and then tucked you in bed with him watching you as you sleep.

--

A week after and you were walking into the gallery together as if nothing happened.  There was a charity photo exhibit at Jack’s gallery by a famous photographer and he had managed to coax you into attending with him as his date as you have always been.  You pasted a smile on your face and squeezed Jack’s arm.  He then placed a gentle kiss on your forehead as if to calm you down before going into the spacious lobby that was filled with people swirling around.  You entered the hall and started to circulate with him with your arm tucked through his and immediately slipped back into exchanging smiles, air kisses and chatter with the rest of the guests as you held a glass of champagne in your other hand.

 

You scanned the crowd looking for who’s present and who’s not in the affair and from a distance you found NIchkhun in his dark suit and tie looking like a on a stick, for lack of a better word, staring back at you.  His familiar grin was back in full power and you forced yourself not to look.  You threw back a swallow of the amber liquid in your hand and tightened your grip on Jack’s arm, who at that time, was busy conversing with the artist responsible for the exhibit.

 

Jack sensed something was wrong with the way you were fidgeting and excused himself to turn his attention to you.  “If you want to leave early, just let me know and we’re out of here.”

 

“Jack it’s your gallery.”  You faced him with a smile.

 

“I know, but you’re my girlfriend and you’re more important than all this.”  He kissed you softly on your cheek, when you heard someone call your name.  You would recognize that voice anywhere and you turned slowly towards it.  “Hi Khun.”  You scanned his face and then up and down his body.

 

“Hello.  You look lovely.”  Nichkhun said.  His face lighting up as he pulled you into a hug while Jack surveyed the sight of his girlfriend in the arms of another man.

 

You felt your heart on your throat as you take a whiff of his familiar scent.  It has always been intoxicating and if not for Jack who then cleared his throat, you couldn’t make yourself to push at Nichkhun lightly to break away from the hug.  “Thank you.”  You tried to brush off the compliment as quickly as you could and turned to Jack.  “I believe you know Jack.”

 

“Yes, we met at the lodge a few weeks ago.”  Nichkhun nodded and looked at the man standing right next to you.

 

“Jack, this is –“

 

“I know.  Nichkhun, right?”  Jack said with a forced smile as he extends his hand in greeting.  ”Big fan of the whole band-team-group-people or whatever you call it.”  There was that jeering tone in his voice that made what he said seem a little false.

 

The two men shook hands, both of them possibly putting more force in the grip than what was strictly necessary.  Both giving out a polite smile, a performance that taxed their acting abilities, but you didn’t miss to notice the subtly stiffening of the men’s jaws.  When they let go, you felt Jack’s arm slip around your waist.  You weren’t exactly sure if it was some ownership thing, but you felt Jack take you closer to his side.

 

“So what are you doing here?  I thought you’d be busy with your own exhibit.”  Nichkhun said keeping his eyes on you.

 

“This is Jack’s gallery.”

 

“His?  As in he owns it?”  Nichkhun spared him a glance.

 

Jack grinned, his perfect white teeth showing.  “Yes, so technically we should be asking you what you’re doing here.”

 

“I’m sorry.  I’m friends with the photographer.  We have worked together on a few shoots before, so he invited me over.  He said it’s for charity, so I just agreed.”  Nichkhun smiles as he tucked a hand in his pocket.  “So, have you finished your last piece?”

 

“Right now, it’s basically still a blank canvas.”

 

“I couldn’t get my mind off that rusty old bike painting of yours.”  You saw Nichkhun’s eyes flick down as he spoke.  “I should remember to purchase that one as soon as it’s out.”

 

“You’ve seen her latest work?”  Jack asked and your eyes begin to widen, remembering quite well that Jack was on the lookout for the man you have slept with.

 

“I did.  She’s very talented.”

 

“I know.  I know that very well.”  Jack said, a muscle in his cheek twitching.  “But I couldn’t get her to let me in her studio for a peek.”  He was smiling as he looked at you, but you could see the pain in his eyes growing with every word.

 

“I was – “  You tried to say.

 

“It’s fine.  So love,”  He turned his attention back to you.  His eyes gentle, but still with an obvious faint stiffening in his jaw.  “Do you need a little time to say goodbye?”

 

“Huh?”  You had a confused look about your face.  You wanted to say more, but your words would not come out.

 

“I’ll be over there-”  Jack points to the bar.  “-chatting up those people.  Make sure to come back to me when you’re done with your farewells or I’ll come and get you.”  He bent down to kiss you softly and reluctantly lets go of your waist.

 

“What was that about?”

 

“He already knows.”  You whispered softly as you watch Jack walk farther away from you.

 

Nichkhun gently turned your face towards him, fixing his eyes with yours.  Then leave with me.  Leave him for me.”

 

“I can’t.”  You shook your head and glanced at Jack.  “I can’t hurt him more than I have.”

 

“You’ll hurt him more if you stay with him.  You love me.  I know that.  You know that.”  His brows were coming together in the middle of his forehead.  “And he couldn’t love you more than I do.”

 

Realization dawned in your eyes and a slight smile emerged from your lips.  That couldn’t be right you thought to yourself.  “It took you years to realize you wanted me back in your life.  It took Jack less than half of my cab ride home from his place to realize he couldn’t live his life without me in it.  Now tell me again how you love me much more than he does.”  You took a deep breath as you found a baffled look in Nichkhun’s face.  He looked truly apologetic.

 

Nichkhun took one of the wisps of your hair that was curling around your face and tucked it behind your ear.  “Don’t do this to me.”

 

“Don’t do what to you?”

 

“Don’t leave me again.”

 

“Goodbye Khun.”  You said and then turned to leave.

 

Nichkhun catches you by the hand, stopping you from leaving.  “Not goodbye.  I’ll see you tomorrow.”  But you didn’t turn to look at him.  “I’m not giving up on you this time.”  Instead you walked away from him towards Jack who has always been waiting.