Hearing Your Voice

Not Over (Sequel to Re-Encounter)

“Hello?  Hello?”  Nichkhun’s panicked voice filtered into the phone from the other end of the line, shouting your name until there was nothing to be heard but a loud beep after the blaring of horns and what sounded like a huge collision of metals.

 

-------

 

You are going to die.

 

Everything will eventually have its end.  But you had never once thought about death or the possibility of dying.  And as you close your eyes in front of the impending disaster that is about to strike, the reality of your own death sunk deep inside of you.  A small sob escaped you as tears fell from your eyes.  Is this your punishment for all the stupid things you have done and for all the hurt you have caused?  Isn’t this too much payment to ask for?

 

Some people would say that on the moment before you die, your life would flash before your eyes like pages lifting open in a book.  Now it all seems so real.  You could see the images of the people you love fluttering in your mind.  Your family, your friends, everyone who has touched your life at one time, everyone who meant something to you.  And you could especially see Nichkhun’s dazzling smile that lights up his beautiful eyes with happiness.  You ask yourself how it is that it is still him on your head at a time like this.

 

You could slowly feel your body getting weaker, your heart beating slower and the pain that was supposed to be there was no more, your body has turned numb.  You are going to die and your one regret in life is that you haven’t even thanked Nichkhun yet.  You haven’t even showed him your last piece, your centerpiece for the exhibit.  The best reencounter you have had put into canvas.  You wanted him to see, you wanted him to understand.  But now it’s too late.  He might never know.

 

Jack watched in horror as your car up ahead collided with the big truck that was out of control.  He screamed in agony, but his voice could not be heard.  His eyes widened in shock while he witnessed the impact sending your car to tumble once, twice, thrice, over a few meters away.  Terror swept over him causing him to run over to where you are, leaving his car in the middle of the road.

 

He never wanted this to happen.  If he could change his actions, his tone, his touch, he would change everything.  It was never his intention to hurt you, but it seems that’s all he has been doing.  All he wanted was to have you and now he might have lost you for good.  And for all that, he knows, he could never be forgiven.

 

Jack called your name as he clenched his teeth trying to pry open the jammed car door with his hands.  He could see you hanging in the air by your seatbelt, your face wounded by the shattered window and your hair wet with your own blood.  “Baby, I’m here.  Open your eyes.”  He mumbled as he released your still unconscious and limp body from the seatbelt and awkwardly pulled you out from the car.

 

“Open your eyes love.”  His face wet with tears and his body shaking, fear took away his breath as he held your body on the ground.  “Don’t do this to me.  I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.”  He cried out.  “Someone please call an ambulance!”

 

People began to gather waiting for the ambulance to arrive, glass crunching under their shoes as they chatter and watch you fight for your life.

 

“Baby.”  Jack said cupping your cheek with his hand, his fingers became cold as ice, rubbing his thumb on the side of your cheek trying to remove the trail of blood that was beginning to cover your pale face.  “Oh God please, please be okay.  Please open your eyes.  I’m so sorry.  I’ll give you up, I’ll give you up…just please…please live.”  He said aloud, his voice trembling as he cried.

 

Nichkhun came running over, panic written all over his face as he sliced through the crowd to where you are.  He knew something has happened to you, but he never knew it was to this extent.  His heart sunk to his stomach.  All of a sudden he could not feel his legs.  There on the ground is his world, dying in another man’s arms.  “What did you do?”  He pushed Jack and held you.  “Get away from her!”  He touched your face, unsure if it was real and then he looked around to the crowd that had already gathered.  “Did someone call for the paramedics?”  He asked and someone responded that it was on its way.  If anything happens to her…”  He glared at Jack.  His anger he could barely contain.

 

“I know.”  Jack nods, tears flooding his eyes.  “Help her.  Make her live.  I’ll give her up, just let her live.”

 

Nichkhun could feel the life draining out of you as he whispers your name, over and over he whispers your name as if calling for you to come back to him.  Pleading and crying for you to return.  “Comeback to me.  Please.”

 

His voice was enough to fill your ears.  “K…Khun?”  You said weakly as you opened your clouded eyes.  You could see nothing but red, but you could hear his voice faintly calling you in the background.

 

“Hi!”  Nichkhun smiled misty eyed with your response to his call.  “I’m here.  I’m just right here.”  His arms surrounding your small frame.

 

“I…”  You tried to talk, but you could only cough.  You wanted to touch his face, but you could not feel your arms.  Nothing was right with you like a heavy weight was pressed against your body.

 

“Don’t speak.  You are going to be okay.  Everything will be okay.”  He tried to believe his words, only something in him knows he could be wrong and his heart ached with that realization.  “The ambulance is on its way.”

 

Your breathing was ragged and heavy.  “I don’t think… I’ll be okay.”  At that moment you were enveloped in an overwhelming fear that stole your every breath.

 

“Of course you are.   You’ll be okay.  You didn’t want me to leave, remember?  I don’t want you to leave me either.  I need you.  You said to wait for breakfast, right?”  Nichkhun tried to smile.  He knows his smile could keep your heart calm.  “So we still have to have breakfast together…breakfast every morning for the rest of our lives.”

 

You could not see him with your eyes, but in your mind, you could see him smiling at you, teasing you to be with him.

 

“I…I need…to tell you…”

 

“Whatever it is- tell me later.  Tell me everything later.  I want to know about it all later.”  Nichkhun’s tears dropped on your cheeks.  His hands would not stop shaking as he held you.  “Later.  Over breakfast.  Just stay awake for now.  Don’t close your eyes, okay?”

 

“Khun…thank you…”  You cried silently as the lump in your throat made you unable to speak anymore.  Your eyes heavy and your breath coming in small pants.  You felt something leaving you, something vital.

 

“Thank me again later.  You’re going to be fine.  We’re going to be fine.”  He sounded distraught, but you could not hear him anymore as your eyes begin to close again.  “No!  Don’t close your eyes.  Keep them open!  Look at me!  Please.  Don’t.”  Your consciousness drifted away slowly.  “Wake up!”  And then your breathing stopped and then your heart.  “Don’t you dare leave me.”

 

The flashing lights and the blaring sound of the siren eventually arrived while Nichkhun and Jack sat still on the ground holding you in their arms.