fourth voice

I Hear Your Voice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fourth Voice

“W-What do you mean?” he asks impatiently, voice becoming frantic and intense. He’s taken aback by her last words. He never expects his telepathic power would unexpectedly turn the tables, though.

The younger chuckles scathingly. “It’s merely a mind trick, oppa.” She then scoots closer to him and shifts her gaze into his eyes deeply. After a moment, she gets back to her seat. “That’s how a person does to restrain your entrance.”

“You mean, by just staring into my eyes, my ability won’t work on someone?”

“Bingo!”

“Okay, that was unexpected,” he replies in awe. “Do you think people would know this trick?”

“How would they know if they don’t even know that you can read their mind?”

Lu Han trails into sheer silence, seemingly trying to mull over the possibility she has just mentioned.

“Anyway,” she begins again, finger fiddling at the edge of the table and giving him a stare. “Don’t you want to know why I was surprised just now?”

Lu Han would have ditched the thoughts if the younger hasn’t mentioned it just now. “Oh, what is it?” His eyes twinkle in curiosity.

“Surprisingly and fortunately, you’ve gained other ability, oppa,” comes out her remark, obviously throwing the elder off guard.

“I have other ability?!” His mouth gapes, looking exceptionally astounded. “How did you know?”

“You don’t have to refute my ability, oppa,” she remarks, a smug smile twists upon her lips, “because I’m born with it.”

Lu Han looks indisputably surprised but he doesn’t bother to unravel the younger’s tangled words even though he seems to have gotten a grasp of it. It does make sense if Krystal would know something beyond everyone’s knowledge because she has the intuition. He doesn’t beg to differ.

“Anyhow, I won’t easily tell your other ability, oppa.” On the spur of the moment, she stands up, seemingly getting ready to go home at once.

“Then how can I know, Krystal? Do you mean I have to achieve it on my own?”

“I didn’t say it, did I?” She cracks a chuckle. “I will tell you.... but only if you can sort out my own made puzzle.”

“Tell me what it is. I’ll do anything for the sake to know my other ability!”

Krystal walks towards the door and simply turns around when she’s on the verge to vanish thereupon. She begins to carve a grin at the wonderstruck latter but soon, it falters all of a sudden. starts to mumble, only to arrange words that would make him quizzical.

“An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. If we live that way, it will only make the whole world blind.”

And later, she leaves the scene, expecting the elder would get a good grasp of her quote – or so she thinks.

***

Life is so boring.

Yoona would have loved to simply drop out the school if her parents haven’t forced her. However, it’s not like she detests going to the school just because she hates studying. It’s just because her school life has no meaning to her anymore.

It’s not colorful, lively and full of laughter as it used to be. Everything has slowly faltered, leaving her behind at once.

What’s the meaning of her going to the school if the one whom she utterly cherishes has suddenly withdrawn from her? Though she has a lot of friends, she needs him by her side. He is the reason of her ecstasy. Without his presence, she will completely wither.

Lu Han.

She misses him so badly. His bright face, charming smile, sweet talk and there are a lot to be mentioned, though. It’s too little too late now – he’s gone far away, dumping her behind.

He’s lost a part of his memory and she’s the forgotten friend. How pathetic she is but she’s bound to swallow the ugly truth.

Being forgotten by the loved one is indeed painful.

If she has confessed what she feels for him just before the accident happened, this kind of mess wouldn’t have happened in the first place. In spite of this deduction, she finds herself in an arduous situation. She cannot simply turn back the time to undo the past. What’s done cannot be undone, isn’t it?

Minseok’s name suddenly stumbles upon her mind, rendering a bright smile flits across her pale face. She then lets out a sigh of relief. She has no idea how tormented she would have been if the latter hasn’t stayed by her side. He’s such a good friend. The one who would willingly listen to her problems – no matter how vast the problem is, he’ll be right there for her.

“Yoona, you don’t have to be so sad.”

“I don’t have to be so sad when the one I‘m  close with doesn’t even remember me in the first place?”

“That’s not what I mean, Yoona... I just said you should stay strong. It’s not like he’s not going to remember you forever. He will someday... just trust me, would you?”

“What would you feel if you were in my shoes?”

“I’d feel.... sad, of course.”

“That’s describes me, Minseok. Words aren’t enough to hold back my misery. He looked calm after he woke up but me? I’m drowned into sea of sadness and no one’s here to be by my side...”

“Why says so? I’m here, Yoona. I’ll be by your side. It’s okay if Lu Han doesn’t remember you. You’ve still got another friend, right?”

“Yoona unnie.”

The flashback goes away and reality takes its turn. Astounded by the sudden interruption, she turns around, only to glance at the caller’s face that’s come to her locker.

“Oh, Suzy-ah,” she blurts out with a tiny smile, looking at the beautiful sophomore with a wary gaze. “Why you’re here?”

“I want to talk to you, unnie,” replies the younger vibrantly. “I haven’t talked to you for ages, have I?”

A string of peculiarity tugs at her heart as she quirks an eyebrow. This is such a bizarre scene. The younger rarely talks to her and today, she appears at her miraculously. This is utterly strange and she must be plotting something inwardly to get back to her.

“How are you, unnie? Are you fine these days?”

Yoona returns her question with simply a smile as she’s contemplating what to reply in return. Who knows the easiest question would be this hard to answer?

“I’m just fine, Suzy-ah. Anyway, I’m wondering why you would know that. We’ve never been super close,” flows out her quick-witted reply.

“Ah, unnie!” Suzy seems displeased by her words but Yoona cares less. She whacks the elder’s shoulder playfully. “How can you say that? I’m super busy so that’s why I can’t come greet you always.”

“Oh, really?” She looks unaffected. “Then you’re here just to greet me... or do you have another agenda?”

“I’ve never thought you’d be this sharp, unnie!”

Yoona merely lets out a grin without a word and only proceeds to shove out her textbooks for subject during today’s morning class instead of answering the latter’s words of reply.

She senses the elder’s nonchalance towards her. The way she talks to her is too obvious to regard how apathetic she is. Biting her lip as she mull over the main reason she is here, she’s got to spill it out at once or else, Yoona will be leaving her.

“Oh, unnie! I’ve got something to ask you.”

She turns around nonchalantly and says, “What is it?”

“Is it true what people have been saying about you, unnie?” she begins and somehow, it sounds pretty impatient from Yoona’s opinion. “That you and Lu Han sunbae have broken up?”

Bingo! That’s what she intends to ask actually instead of greeting her so cordially. It’s not like she doesn’t know how the younger is actually. She’s Bae Suzy, after all. She’s infamous for being the prettiest sophomore or maybe the prettiest among all the girls in the school. Yet, no matter how perfect a person is, he or she must have a flaw. And the goddess Suzy doesn’t slip out from being that kind of person.

As everyone knows (or some of them make themselves deaf), she’s infamous for being a cunning, sneaky little sophomore. Since she’s possessed with matchless beauty, she tends to snatch every guy in the school without even thinking their status. The guys may already be in a relationship or he’s still single, but she cares less. She literally wants to snatch everyone who intrigues her eyes. And today, it seems like Lu Han has been her target.

It’s not like she doesn’t know that the younger has been having a crush on Lu Han but unfortunately, he never pays attention to her even for once. And when she knows the rumour that ‘both of them have parted ways’, she must be utterly giddy thinking that her chance has finally come.

“Who says we’ve parted ways?” She gives her an inquiring look and soon, bursts into laughter. “We’re not even dating, you know.”

“But... why Lu Han sunbae always sticks with you all the time?”

The latter’s question meets her past. She recalls what Lu Han has said to her the other day.

“I already have you. Why should I bother sticking with the other girls?”

“Unnie?”

Yoona sends her a blank look before she glances over somewhere else. What a nostalgic reminiscence, she thinks.

“You know what, Suzy-ah,” she starts, staring into the curious younger’s eyes. “Why would you have to know about this? It’s none of your business, though.”

“Because I’m curious, unnie,” Suzy remarks, starting to get a little sullen towards her senior’s apathy. She seems to have thrown a tantrum by just looking at the fury crumples in her eyes. “If you two have broken up, I’d have the chance to hit on Lu Han sunbae! That’s what I’ve been yearning for!”

“Don’t you’re think that you’re little desperate, Suzy-ah?” she retorts. Indeed, she has no idea where her guts come from; she simply lets out of mild resentment. It’s okay if a girl wants to hit on Lu Han (since both of them has nothing to do with each other), but if the girl turns out to be Bae Suzy, she would have to meddle in. Lu Han doesn’t deserve such a clingy, two-faced girl like her.

“What do you mean, unnie?”

“If I were you, I’d be embarrassed to still want hitting on someone who doesn’t look at us even for a slight.” Yoona grips her text book that she needs and glimpses at the flushed girl painstakingly for the last time. “Okay, that’s it. My morning class’s about to start so I’ll go now. See you soon, Suzy-ah.”

When the composed elder has slowly started to withdraw from her, Suzy couldn’t help but be utterly furious over her. She cannot believe Yoona would actually embarrass her (though there are no onlookers). She cannot take this and for God’s sake, she will have to take a drastic action towards the elder for humiliating her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter