Perfect Life

Ghost

 

 

The sun rises up once again. It’s the beginning of another day and so, I just get ready to pass several hours in the dark shop.

 

“Jinhee! Can you do something for me?” My mother asks.

 

“Yes, sure.”

 

“Please go to this address and give that to someone.” She says, giving me a yellow folder full of papers.

 

“A lawyer?” I ask, looking at the place’s name.

 

She vaguely explains it has to do with the shop’s money, administrative things … I lift my shoulder and grab a coat. Actually, I’m quite happy to leave the house, even for an hour or two. Lately, this place has been making me uneasy. Humming, I walk in the streets of Seoul and after ten minutes of walk, I finally arrive in front of a white building.

It is really huge! I stay a few minutes in front of it and then, go in. A nice secretary welcomes me and explains to me that the office I am looking for is on the third floor.

 

Even the lift is awesome! I would love to work in such a bright and nice place! But I won’t, not for the moment at least …

 

“Can I do something for you, miss?” A man asks me.

 

“Yes. I’m Baek Jinhee, the daughter of Baek Minji. I have to give this to someone but I don’t know who …”

 

“Follow me.”

 

I do as he says and end up in a desk full of windows. But when I look behind that desk, my heart skips a beat. This messy hair, these plump lips, Yang Seungho is a lawyer?

I can see he is surprised to see me too. He tells the othe man to leave us and here we are, all alone. It could have been romantic if our first encounter wasn’t related to a ghost …

 

“Don’t even try to smile, I’m not here to help you.” I immediately say.

 

“Fine.” He giggles. “Why are you here then?”

 

I frown and hand him the folder, quite suspicious. I’m not an expert but people who see ghosts don’t giggle …

 

“You seem happy… The white girl is gone?” I ask.

 

“You seem interested. Willing to help me?” He retorts.

 

I sigh and push my back against my chair. He has repartee, that’s sure.

 

“I didn’t see her again but that doesn’t mean she’s gone. And I’m a naturally happy person.”

 

“How old are you?”

 

“What?” Seungho laughs. “You want to know if I’m single too?”

 

“Probably around 25 years old. How can you work here? As a lawyer?”

 

“26 actually. And this office belongs to my dad.”

 

He smiles. No really, there’s something wrong with him … How can he be so happy? Well, that’s sure he seems to have a great life …

 

“Let me invite you.” He adds after a silence.

 

“What?”

 

“Coffee, tea, whatever you want. Come with me five minutes and let’s talk.”

 

I think about it for a moment. He’s a stranger after all and I have no idea of why he wants to take this coffee but at the same time, I don’t want to go home. I nod and after he talked with the man from before, he leads me to a coffee shop near the building.

 

This is a little awkward. After he comes back with our drinks, I really feel like I’m out of place. I mean, why am I face to face with a man I barely know? It looks too much like a date …

 

“What’s your name?” He asks me.

 

“Kim Hyeomin.”

 

“You’re lying! I know it’s Baek Jinhee.”

 

“Why did you ask then!”

 

“To see if you were honest?”

 

I wince. I’ve been caught like a little child … I guess lying to him is useless.

I sigh and he laughs a little. A silence takes place but it’s not as embarrassing as I thought it would be. Seungho actually seems like the kind of guy everyone can feel at ease with.

 

As the minutes pass, the door bell suddenly rings. Being back to the door, I don’t really care about a new customer but then I see Seungho’s reaction. His hands are holding his cup so tightly that his joints become white and his eyes full of fear and surprise. I raise an eyebrow and turn to face the door.

A good looking girl is standing near the bar. Her long dark hair is falling in her back, contrasting with her white dress. An instant, I feel jealous but then I realize why Seungho froze. This girl is the one from the picture. She’s the ghost.

 

Suddenly, I see Seungho stands up and goes straight to her. I’m literally glued to my chair. What is he doing!

 

“Who are you?” I hear him ask.

 

The girl doesn’t answer of course and just keep looking at the cakes without paying attention to Seungho. But then, I feel chills down my spine and a bash of wind starts to invade the coffee shop. A few papers fall from their spot and I can feel my hair starting to rise on my head.

Quickly, I stand up and grab Seungho’s arm. I pull and luckily, he follows me without any resistance, completely astonished by what’s happening.

Finally out of the shop, I breathe again and so do Seungho. His eyes widely open, he looks back in the shop. I do the same but all seems normal. No wind, no girl in white dress …

 

“Do you know who this girl is?”

 

“No! I don’t understand!”

 

He really looks lost, without knowing what to do or even what to say. I’m sure Seungho’s near the mental breakdown, no matter how much of a happy person he is …

 

“Please, Jinhee … You can’t hide you’re able to see ghosts. Help me.” He pleads.

 

I look at him and realize he looks like a cute puppy, just wanting some help. I bit my lower lip and mutter “ok” in a breathe.