Chapter 2

That Should Be Me

 

          Daehyun just let the wedding planners do whatever they needed to do in order to make him looked as what he believed the best-looking groom ever. It was not that he was happy with the wedding and that he did not know how to look charming in front of his soon-to-be wife….no, those were not  the actual reasons. It crossed his mind lots of time before that if only he could turn back the time and if only he could muster up enough courage to maintain his stand strong, perhaps he did not have to get through all this.

 

          He did not have to agree with his parents’ decision. He did not have to follow what had been planned for him by his parents without his knowledge. He did not need to stand in the middle of this freaking large suite just to get ready for the wedding… and he did not have to get married to his own childhood friend, Moon Jongup. Speaking of the younger, he thought that if and only if Jongup did not agree to the wedding, there might be a slight possibility that they would not get married.

 

        Unfortunately, Moon Jongup was being Moon Jongup himself, the always good and obedient child to the parents who obviously would not disappoint them and agree to what the parents said for him. Daehyun internally sighed because what was he thinking? It was too late for everything now and to say that it was part of his fault that this wedding thing happened weighed him down. Daehyun blankly stared at his reflection in the mirror and let himself drowned in the sweet memories he had created with someone precious in his life when he was in Paris.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Three years ago…

 

          “Hey, do you mind if I take a seat here?” Daehyun closed his eyes and took a short breathe in before he slowly exhaled it. He was writing a postcard to be sent to Jongup when his sweet little moment was interrupted by the person who was standing next to him now. He opened his eyes and looked up only to be met with the same pair of eyes and the same smiley face. It was him again. Daehyun tried not to roll his eyes in front of the intruder and reluctantly shook his head.

 

            “No. You may sit here.” Daehyun shortly replied before his eyes wandered around the library. Man, what did I get myself into this time? There are so many empty seats and tables here… why did he have to sit next to me? It’s so disturbing!

 

            “Thanks!” Here came the happy reply and soon the sound of chair being pushed and pulled was heard next to the not so happy Daehyun.

 

            Daehyun just ignored him and continued his postcard writing activity. He was so happy to be writing postcard to his friend and updating him about his life in Paris. Probably you found this postcard writing funny when you could always send emails or chat via the Facebook messenger or the easiest one, use the FaceTime application.  But not for Daehyun as he thought by doing this, he would feel the distance between him and his family and Jongup, thus would make him study hard and quickly graduate and return to Korea as soon as he finished his studies in Paris.

           

           He remembered the moment when his feet touch the land of Paris for the first time… He was kind of lost! Everything was too foreign for him and he had a hard time to adapt it. He searched his own place to stay, he went to the university alone, and he ate his sandwich at this particular bench he always sat on in the garden… alone too. Yeah, he did not make any new friends and led his own personal life happily. To say he was a nerd was totally understatement because he was not one after all. He was more towards what we called as introvert type of guy and barely spoke to anyone unless the close ones.

 

            That would explain why he did not have many friends back then in Korea and the closest ones would be his younger brother Luhan (obviously) and Jongup – his parents’ best friends’ son. And he was okay to continue this kind of life while he was in Paris. But he never had an idea of someone that would be so persistent much to enter his life. It happened three weeks ago when someone who introduced himself as Yoo Youngjae came into the picture. He would always find something or make something up in order to have a talk with this Jung Daehyun guy… like now.

 

            “So… you’re sending postcard?”

 

         “Yeah…” Isn’t it obvious? Daehyun averted his gaze from the postcard and turned his head to look at the person next to him. His breath hitched in his throat when he realized how close they were as Youngjae decided to lean his body towards Daehyun in order to take a look at the latter’s postcard.

 

            “Nice handwriting…”

 

         “Uh… thanks?” Daehyun leaned backwards a bit to make some gap and sensing that the older was not comfortable with the close proximity, Youngjae immediately retreated to his position and cleared his throat. His cheeks was tinted with pink color as he was feeling embarrassed for doing something overboard.

 

            “I’m sorry.”

 

            “It’s okay.” Silence engulfed around them for a while before Youngjae spoke again.

 

        “Hey… I know you’d probably decline this again, but… would you like to have lunch with me?” Daehyun stopped what he was doing and contemplated his decision. This Youngjae had never gave up and Daehyun wondered when the latter would stop approaching him. Perhaps by accepting his invitation this time he would disappear from his life? Why not try this method instead?

 

         “Sure… Why not?” and Daehyun did not miss the surprise facial expression of Youngjae when he unexpectedly accepted the invitation. The younger’s eyes were almost bulged out of its sockets and mouth slightly agape. Daehyun could not help but let out an airy chuckle upon seeing this sight. Maybe it was not a bad idea to hang out with him.

 

            It was totally not a bad idea after all. Daehyun found that Youngjae was kind of comfortable to be talking to and to his delight, they shared the same interest in fashion designing. He learned that Youngjae was in most of the classes he was attending but he never realized the younger’s existence, and that made him received a few playful punches at his arm. They had gotten closer than before in no time and always be seen together wherever they went to.

 

            A year passed just like that and they decided to move in together and became housemates. Daehyun was grateful that Youngjae was here to substitute the absence of his best friend, Jongup. They would sometimes stayed up together to finish up their assignment and they would cook whenever they were free and felt like to.

 

           It was Valentine’s Day and they decided to take a stroll at the Champ de Mars. Daehyun noticed the younger’s sudden change of appearance that night but he just shrugged it off. They slowly walked through the park that was filled by pairs of lovers who were enjoying each other’s company and celebrating the day. Youngjae stopped at an empty bench and Daehyun followed him by sitting on it. They did not utter a single word since they came and enjoyed the view before their eyes.

 

            “Happy Valentine’s Day, Daehyunnie…” Youngjae suddenly said which made Daehyun to turn his head to his side.

 

         “Oh, Happy Valentine’s Day to you to, Jae…” Daehyun cheerfully replied, not realizing the meaning behind Youngjae’s words.

 

           “I mean it, Dae.”

 

          “W-What are—”

 

          “I love you, Jung Daehyun.”

 

         “W-What?” Daehyun’s eyes widened in shocked. Youngjae let out a sigh and turned to look at the older. Their eyes met and Daehyun was speechless to see the spark in Youngjae’s eyes.

 

         “I know this is so sudden for you but this is what I feel for you. I love you… more than a friend loves his friend, Dae. I’ve loved you since the first day I saw you in the class.” Youngjae stopped for a while before he continued.

 

        “I approached you so that I’d get to know you better and that you’d notice my presence. You just don’t know how happy I was when you finally accepted my invitation to have lunch with me for the first time. And you have no idea how grateful I was to know that we have so much in common.” Youngjae stopped as he examined Daehyun who blankly stared at him.

 

          “D-Daehyun…” The said person blinked his eyes few times before he fixed his gaze back at the person next to him.

 

          “Uh, so you’re saying that… this is like love at first sight?”

 

         “Pretty much like that.” Daehyun nodded his head understandingly. He brought his hand to rub his nape as he did not know what to reply because hey, he did not believe in this love at first sight thing. And to know that his close friend liked him, no scratch that, loved him for quite a while without him noticing it was something he could not completely digest. Daehyun shook his head and abruptly stood up from the bench. Youngjae was surprised and immediately on his feet too.

 

        “Could… Could you give me some time?”  Just like that, Daehyun left Youngjae in the park, who had tears b in his eyes.

 

          It took a week for Daehyun to realize his feelings toward Youngjae. When he said that he needed time, he did not mean to isolate himself and not talk to his housemate. But Youngjae took it the wrong way as he would always avoid Daehyun whenever he saw the latter not far from his spot. He thought that the older had rejected him by leaving him alone in the park. He could not stand the fact that Daehyun was acting like nothing happened after the confession and was thinking of giving up and starting to find for a new place to stay.

 

           Daehyun on the other hand, started to miss the younger’s presence and when he saw Youngjae was about to leave the house with hands pulling the luggage, he knew he needed to stop thinking. He quickly grabbed the wrist of the younger and turned him around. Youngjae was too shocked and was about to yell at the older when a pair of lips crushed onto his soft plump ones. His eyes widened in shocked but it did not last long for he gradually melted into the kiss.

 

          “Please… don’t leave me.” Daehyun whispered after they broke the kiss.

 

          “Why?” Youngjae slowly opened his eyes.

 

         “Because I just realized that I love you too.” Daehyun’s confession made Youngjae’s heart skipped a beat. His cheeks started to shade in pink when Daehyun pulled him to close the gap.

 

         “M-More than friends?”

 

        “Yes, more than friends.” Daehyun replied and pulled the younger for another kiss. It just felt so right to do it again.

 

         Daehyun had changed a lot since he was in relationship with Youngjae. The latter was someone who was more outgoing and talkative and made many friends. Daehyun started to punch in more contact numbers in his phone as he started to socialize and made new friends. This friendly and outgoing Daehyun was starting to forget his childhood friend. He no longer sent postcards to Jongup and he only contacted his family just to inform that he was living good and enjoying his life in Paris.

 

           Two years later, they graduated and decided to stay there in Paris. Yongguk and Himchan did not like the idea and forced him to come back to Korea. Yongguk wanted his eldest son to work for their family company and when he thought Daehyun was capable enough to handle the company, he would gladly pass it on to his son. Daehyun gave so many excuses saying he wanted to gain working experience at different places so that he would be good enough to lead the company in the future.

 

            But the actual reason behind those excuses was that Daehyun did not want to be separated with Youngjae as the younger did not live in Korea. His family was in United States and he would be leaving for US if Daehyun were to return to Korea. They both did not want that and stubbornly stayed in Paris.

 

          “You’re so beautiful, Jae…” Daehyun traced his lips along Youngjae’s jawline and stopped in front of the latter’s rosy plump lips. He looked up only to be met with those round dark brown orbs that filled with the mixture of love and lust. Youngjae pulled the older by the neck and kissed him passionately. Daehyun smiled in the kiss before he nibbled the other’s bottom lip asking for an entrance.

 

             They were so into their own hot love making session to even realize the sound of beep coming from the front door. They only snapped to reality when they heard a shocking shrill and gasps in the bedroom they were in. Three familiar figures were standing before their eyes, wearing the same horrified facial expression and Daehyun was having the shock of his life.

 

            His parents and younger brother had decided to do a surprise visit at Daehyun’s place but it turned out that they came at the very wrong time. Seeing a fully flushed-face guy lying on his back over the soft fluffy bed with Dae on top of him, hair disheveled and only a pair of boxers hanging loosely around his waist was enough to make Himchan felt the world spinning around so fast and the next second, he was already on the floor unconscious without Yongguk managed to catch him in time.

 

              “JUNG DAEHYUN!”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

            Luhan cleared his throat in order to catch his hyung’s attention and he did it when the older seemed to realize his presence in the room and turned to look at him. Daehyun could not help but fake a small smile when Luhan made his way to stand in front of him.

 

            “Wow… you look handsome, hyung.”

 

            “I always am looking handsome, Hannie.” Luhan made a gag pose and Daehyun could not help but headlock his brother.

 

            “Yah yah yah Dae hyung! Not the head not the head!”

 

            Luhan slapped Daehyun’s arm indicating for the latter to let go of his head who eventually released it. Luhan pouted before he made his way to the mirror and fixed his now messed hair. When he felt satisfied that his hair was well-styled again, he turned and faced a frowning Daehyun who was looking out the window, emotionless. Luhan’s smile faltered upon seeing this sight. Dae hyung, you’re hurting a lot right? I’m hurting too…

 

          “Hey, what’s with this long face, Dae hyung? You’re the groom of the day! You should smile, hyung.” Luhan nudged Daehyun’s elbow so that the latter could snap back from his trance. He was trying to brighten up their gloomy day.

 

        “Yeah, yeah… I should smile.” Daehyun sarcastically replied. He could not help but feel nothing for this wedding. He just wanted to stop everything and ran into Youngjae’s warm embrace. He just missed the younger so much now. They had been separated for four months already… without any contact, and Daehyun’s once smiley face had turned into a frowned one as days passed. He would always fake a smile and kept his pain inside. And Luhan knew it all.

 

            “You’re missing him, right?”

 

            “Yeah, more than you can imagine.” Daehyun let out a heavy sigh.

 

            “Hyung… c-can you do me a favor?” Luhan said in a low tone but was loud enough for Daehyun to hear.

 

            “What is it?”

 

            “Can you stop thinking about him?” Luhan’s words had successfully made Daehyun’s brows furrowed.

 

          “… and why should I?” Daehyun coldly replied as he sent a sharp glare to Luhan. He could not believe his own younger brother had the heart to say something like that.

 

            “It’s hurting me, hyung… it hurts to see you hurting like this.”

 

           Upon hearing those sincere words, Daehyun’s glare softened and he let out another sigh. He did not know that he was affecting others with his yearning for Youngjae. And this was only Luhan. What about his mother? His father? Daehyun closed his eyes and pitched the bridge of his nose. He took a deep breath in before letting it out slowly.

 

         “I’ll try, Hannie… I’ll try.” Daehyun said without looking at his dongsaeng. He did not want to make any promises as he knew he’d never forget his Youngjae.

 

             “Hyung…”

 

             “What now?”

 

         “Please make Jonguppie happy.” Luhan requested, his voice filled with hope. Daehyun looked at him and hesitantly nodded his head. Luhan’s lips curled into a smile and he went to hug his hyung to thank him. Please make him happy, hyung. Because I’ll never get to do so…

 

 

25th January 2014

2:05pm

Saturday