Chapter 1

That Should Be Me

7th November 2012

 

            A nervous sigh escaped from his luscious lips as one of the stylists his mother hired for his big day applied another layer of foundation onto his smooth soft skin. The bride of the day, Moon Jongup would be seen to occasionally bit his bottom lip in order to lessen his never ending nervousness. He was in an exclusive suite in one of the extravagant hotels located in Seoul, getting ready for his wedding which would be held in less than two hours.

 

          “Uppie, honey… Biting your bottom lips is a no-no. I’m afraid it’d bleed if you keep doing it.” The one who was styling Jongup’s hair spoke. Jongup instantly stopped his lip-biting and formed a sheepish smile.

 

            “Sorry, Sunhwa noona. I’m just too nervous today.”

 

            “Auw, you’re so so so cute, Uppie. Well, I couldn’t blame you though because that’s how exactly brides would always and supposedly feel on their wedding day…precisely before they say their vow.” Said Sunhwa and at the same time, her hand made its way to gently pinch Jongup’s slightly blushing cheeks. Jieun, the one who claimed herself as the best stylist in the world slapped Sunhwa’s hand away because the latter seemed to disturb her magical touch on Jongup’s delicate face.

 

            “Ouch.”

 

            “Do.Not.Touch.His.Precious.Face! You’re going to ruin it. Daehyun-ssi would be upset if he knew about it.” Jieun reasoned out as she started to carefully dab sponge which was coated with powder over Jongup’s face. The bride suppressed himself from letting out any giggle when he saw Sunhwa made funny face and stuck her tongue out toward Jieun who was so into her work and did not notice the former’s little actions.

 

            Their first meeting was two days ago when his mother and Daehyun’s mother/Jongup’s mother in-law dragged him to this one recommended salon to get his hair done after they had spent their half day at a spa for body massage, pedicure and manicure as well as facial treatment. For Jongup’s case, he had the bride-to-be package which included milk bath. The mothers wanted Jongup to look gorgeous for his wedding and of course, for his husband. Jongup, being the good son he was, obediently followed because he knew they knew what was the best for him and it was blatantly obvious that he would do just anything for that certain someone – Jung Daehyun.

 

            As the mothers were satisfied with the service, they decided to hired stylists from that salon for Jongup’s makeover on his wedding day. Well, you would probably be wondering why he needed a makeover. It was not that he was not good looking or that he was having problem with skin… Nope! That was not the case. To tell the truth, he was already perfect with his natural beauty and people acknowledged it. He just did not fond with applying thick cosmetic on his skin and he was comfortable enough with only a thin layer of bb cream and lip balm. However, since this was just a once in a lifetime event, why not he gave it a try. No harm trying, right?

 

            “Uppie, have anyone told you that you have such a lovely smile?” Jieun suddenly asked as she started to trace Jongup’s well-shaped brow with a brow liner. Pink blush started to adorn his cheeks as he shyly replied.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Three years ago…

 

            “You know what, Jonguppie? I’m gonna miss that beautiful smile of yours when I’m in Paris.” Daehyun suddenly spoke which made the younger to widen his eyes and blushed before he brushed the compliment off.

 

            “Cheesy much. I never saw this coming… not from you, hyung.” Jongup tried to sound indifferent but only God and he himself knew what he was feeling right after the words rang through his ears. His heart that always skip beat whenever Daehyun was before his eyes started to beat faster and thump harder against his chest. Oh God, help me. Save my heart!

 

            “Yah! Can’t you just go with the flow? I’m trying to be sentimental here.” Daehyun leaned forward to the table and flicked Jongup’s forehead which made the latter to let out a small yelp before he quickly rubbed the spot. Jongup pouted and sent a so-called death glare to Daehyun who was now smiling at him. Oh no, not that smile. STOP SMILING!

 

            They were sitting across each other at Starbucks in Incheon International Airport. Their parents were at the table next to them, too busy talking to each other to even care what was happening around them. Daehyun’s younger brother, Luhan was left alone at the counter to make orders. From Jongup’s spot, he could see Luhan’s pout because firstly, Daehyun wanted to spend his last precious time with his most trusted and best childhood friend before he flew to Paris and secondly, Luhan was practically being forced by his hyung to do it… and to his dismay, their parents also supported it by adding more orders. So, he eventually ended up being the one who made all orders. That would explain why we had a sulky Luhan at the counter.

 

            Daehyun sighed and puffed his cheeks before he leaned his body forward to the table again, elbows supported his arms as he laced his fingers under his chin and eyes looked straight into Jongup’s beautiful brown orbs. Jongup on the other hand, broke their eye contact and pretended to look at Luhan’s direction. As much as he wanted to look calm and confident, he just could not when the look Daehyun was giving him sent shiver down his spines and his heart was not even comply with his order when it continuously racing uncontrollably.

 

            “Why must I go to Paris again?” Daehyun whispered and Jongup averted his gaze back to Daehyun.

 

            “Because Yongguk adjusshi wants the best for his eldest son and by furthering your studies in Paris, you could learn more about fashion internation—” Jongup could not finish his words as Daehyun cut him off.

 

            “As if universities in South Korea do not offer this design course…”

           

            “True but…”

 

            “I don’t want to be far away from you.” Daehyun said in a serious tone. Jongup gulped his saliva down as his mind went blank upon hearing those unexpected words.

 

            “I don’t have anyone there and I’m all alone and you’re not there and—” Daehyun’s blabbering moment was cut off by Jongup.

 

            “Hey, hey Daehyun hyung. Listen here… everything will be just fine. You’ll survive there and you’ll make new friends and you’ll study hard and be the best student of Fashion Designing Course in the University of Paris. And you’ll graduate in three years times and you’ll come back he—”

 

            “And will eat the cheesecakes you make.” Jongup blinked his eyes in confusion while Daehyun made his poker face.

 

            “Moon Jongup.” Daehyun called the younger’s name. Jongup always loved the way Daehyun called his full name with that low husky voice of his and he was sure that he would miss the voice once the owner left him for Paris.

 

            “Yes?” Jongup simply replied because he did not know what Daehyun was going to say. The older was different that day… Jongup was neither complaining nor disliking the difference… No. For the umpteenth times, Jongup loved everything about Daehyun. And he liked it when Daehyun being all sweet for saying something unpredictable like that.

 

            “Promise me…” whispered Daehyun as he beckoned Jongup to lean forward. Due to curiosity, the latter did as he was told and whispered back.

 

            “Promise you what?”

 

            “Promise me you’ll wait for my comeback three years later and you’ll welcome me with cheesecakes that you make.”

           

            Jongup stared at Daehyun in disbelief. He knew the one sitting in front of him was a cheesecake lover and because he wanted to impress the older, he had asked his mother to teach him how to make cheesecake. Chocolate Cheesecake, Green Tea Cheesecake, Raspberry Cheesecake, New York Cheesecake… you named it, he had tried to make all of them but say, he was not satisfied with what he did and he eventually gave up even before giving it to Daehyun. And this should only be between Jongup and his mother and… probably his father. Unless…

 

            Realization hit him and Jongup’s cheeks started to shade in crimson red. He just wanted to disappear into thin air upon seeing the teasing grin that was plastered on Daehyun’s face. Jongup mentally face palmed himself because yeah… his secret was not a secret anymore. Courtesy of his beloved mother… it was so obvious that his mother told Daehyun’s mother who eventually told him about it. Perhaps Luhan knew about this too. Yongguk adjusshi? Where should he hide his face now?!

 

            “Why are you guys so close to each other and keep whispering?” Luhan’s voice was heard right next to their ears. Jongup and Daehyun startled at Luhan’s sudden appearance and immediately leaned their back against their seat. Luhan eyed them suspiciously while waiting for any reply which he received none. He rolled his eyes before he took his seat beside Jongup and casually put his arm around Jongup’s shoulder. He looked at Jongup and could not stop himself from asking.

 

            “Why are your cheeks flush in red, Uppie? Are you not feeling well?” Luhan worriedly asked and his hand instantly made its way to Jongup’s forehead.

 

            “A-Ani, I’m fine.” Jongup grabbed Luhan’s hand and pulled it down. His eyes not leaving Daehyun and the latter seemed to raised his brow suggestively before he mouthed a silent promise me to Jongup and ended it with a seductive wink of his. Jongup’s cheeks turned redder than before… if than was even possible. And his heart went against him for the umpteenth time.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

            “MAMAMIA!”

 

            “OH MY GOD!”

 

            Jongup snapped out from his trance when he heard the earsplitting shrieks behind him. He turned to look at the ones who made those unnecessary noises and his face immediately lit up in delightful and happiness. It was his mother and mother in-law. They were looking at him wide-eyed with mouth slightly opened.

 

            “Is that my son, Channie?” Zitao asked for confirmation, eyes staring at the figure standing in front of him.

           

            “Yeah, I think that’s my son in-law.” Himchan replied without blinking his eyes.

 

            “Mama, it’s really me here.” Jongup finally opened his mouth and upon hearing the so-called identity verification, the mothers let out another shriek which then followed by a few squeals. Sunhwa and Jieun decided to be on the same boat and in the next seconds, four different voices were heard filling up the quiet atmosphere. Jongup shook his head in disbelief. Mama the drama queen

 

            “O.M.G.! Daehyunnie is so pabo if he’s not falling for this angel!” Himchan commented.

 

            “You’re my son… my beautiful son.” Zitao said in a dramatic tone. Happy tears slipped down from his eyes.

 

            “Told you, Uppie! I’m the best stylist in the wo—”

 

            “Shut your mouth up, Jieun! Jonguppie is already beautiful even without makeup! It’s the hair th—”

 

            “GUYS!” Jongup had to scream in order to silent them and… he actually did it. The room suddenly filled with a deafening silence and the other four looked at him surprised. He felt guilty for raising his voice but even before he could open his mouth to apologize, there was another wave of shrieks and cries and squeals and etc. struck the once quiet room. CHAOS!

 

 

 

23rd January 2014

2:00 am

Thursday