Halfway There

The Pleasure of Your Company

‘Omo!’ She exclaimed to her laptop screen, ‘Aigoo!’

‘It seems like this year is the year of getting caught.’

‘It does, doesn’t it?’ She responded as she scrolled through a series of news pages, scanning the words.  ‘Oppa, did you know?’

She heard his deep, throaty chuckle, ‘I had an inkling. But it was never mentioned directly.’

‘Really? How did you guess?’

‘She had left her phone on the table a few times, and I saw an influx of messages from him. She was on her phone with him a lot too…’

She pressed Command-Tab on her MacBook and returned back to the Skype conversation, ‘Chincha? You noticed even then? That’s a long time ago! The reports said 4-months!’

‘Yah! You’re so gullible! Seungi’s reports also cited 4-months. Was it really 4-months?’

She giggled in embarrassment, Oh yes, it slipped my mind! ‘It seems I have a lot of to learn.’

His tone turned serious as he moved closer to his laptop webcam, ‘You! You be careful! Learn it all now so you don’t fluster around like a lost butterfly when the time comes!’

‘Yah! Are you trying to insinuate that I’ll get caught soon?’

‘I’m simply warning you! It looks like the paparazzi’s are on top of their date-catching game this year! The couples were super ninja for a long time, and somehow got caught this year! What’s stopping Dispatch from catching you? I say this with your interests at heart!’ He leaned back in his chaise lounge, and crossed his arms, ‘At least have a game plan ready when the time comes. Do you remember how frantic we were when our rumours came out? Hul! Ours weren’t even real!’

A smile formed on her lips, ‘Arasso! Yah! Age has made you such a nag! Is this why you called me out of the blue?’

Yong Hwa chuckled, ‘Do you think I have nothing better to do? Yah! The band and I are up to our noses with variety shows, fan meetings, interviews...’

It was her turn to lean back in her seat and fold her arms, ‘Then why did you call? Since Heartstrings and the dreaded dating rumours, you never have time to talk to me anymore!’ She faked a dejected face, ‘So I had to replace you.’

‘You look like you’re doing perfectly fine. You’re absolutely glowing.’

~.~


[At the same time]

‘Yah! Look!’ Manager Han said, waving a printed copy of a news article in his face.

‘How am I supposed to see anything if you keep waving it around like that?’ Min Ho grabbed the article from Manager Han’s hands. His eyes quickly scanned the page, frowning as he read.

Manager Han fell wearily into the couch, propping his feet up, ‘This is why I keep telling you to be careful.’

‘What is it with the paparazzi this year?’ Min Ho grumbled at the paper as he flipped the page over. The next page contained a series of fans comments towards the news, his eyes widening, ‘The responses aren’t too bad.’ He looked at the close-eyed fellow lying across from him, ‘Are people finally warming up to the idea that celebrities also need to have a life?’

There’s nothing wrong in hoping.

‘There’s a small handful still criticizing the match.’ Han Hyung responded, opening his eyes again, ‘A large majority of the comments you are reading are coming from their shippers.’ This time, he looked directly at Min Ho, ‘I’m not saying to stop dating her. I like that girl, a lot. And I think she’s good for you. But I want you to have a game plan when and if you get caught. I know this isn’t something you want to hear, who wants to hear that they need to come up with a contingency plan should their romantic relationship get found out? I know you don’t want to spend the little time you have with her talking about these things…but if the two of you don’t come up with one. Jun and I may be forced to make a decision that may upset the two of you. So think it through.’

Min Ho nodded, and placed the print out onto the glass coffee table, ‘We haven’t come up with one. But we have been talking about Us recently…’ He paused to check how attentively his manager was listening. When Manager Han nodded his head, he continued, ‘We’re aware of the possibility of us…getting caught. Which is why…we want to tell our parents.’

Manager Han immediately sat up, ‘Mwo?’

‘I know, we discussed and decided it’d be better if less people knew…Keunde…’ He cleared his throat, ‘Our parents have a right to know, Hyung! Can you imagine how they’ll feel when they find out from the paparazzi instead of their own children?’

Han Hyung didn’t reply.

He’s not yelling at me yet. I take this as a good sign.

‘I think part of the “contingency plan” is having our parents support, instead of their disbelief...’

After three silent, awkward minutes, Manager Han broke into a smile, reached over and patted Min Ho’s knee, ‘Hul. This girl is a good influence.’

Min Ho stared at his manager incredulously, ‘Yah! I am perfectly capable of thinking like that on my own!’

‘Was it your suggestion?’

Min Ho bent his head, ‘It was hers.’ But he shot his head back up, ‘But I was thinking it!’

Instead, Manager Han guffawed as he rose to his feet, ‘Says the chap who called her fat.’

‘I DIDN’T CALL HER FAT! How many times must I tell you that?’ But it was too late, Han Hyung was already out the door.

~.~
 

Shin Hye—Goodnight, Oppa! I’m sorry we couldn’t talk today! I was Skyping Yong Hwa Oppa. By the time we finished Skyping, it was late.

Min Ho—Yah! Why are you Skyping another namja so late at night?

Min Ho—You’re supposed to wait for my goodnight before you sleep!

Min Ho—PARK SHIN HYE! IF YOU DON’T REPY RIGHT NOW, I AM COMING OVER!

Shin Hye—Aissssh! As friends, Oppa! Remember, friends! If you want to talk to Hye Sun Unnie, I won’t stop you.

Min Ho—Andwe! I don’t want to talk to her! Give me his number! I need to have a talk with him ;)

Shin Hye—Goodnight, Oppa! :) You don’t have to worry about a thing.

Min Ho—I saw your “wedding” with Geun Suk. I will need his number too.

Shin Hye—Wae? You already have his number...Didn’t I tell you? Tae Kyung and Mi Nam just needed time to warm up with each other again. Hehe! Now, can you please say goodnight?

Shin Hye—Even if you refuse, I’m still going to bed.

Min Ho—We’ll pick this up again later then. Sweet dreams, love <3 Goodnight!

Min Ho—Hul! You really went to sleep?

Min Ho—Didn’t even wait for my goodnight. How will you have sweet dreams? 

~.~
 

[A few days later]

Shin Hye sat cross-legged across from him, a sly grin sneaking up on her face, ‘Jun Oppa showed this to me.’

He took her phone from her and looked at the glowing screen. He clicked on the email attachment and up came the news about his possible love scene in Gangnam Blues. He glanced back up at her, the sly grin still on her face. Play cool. Play cool. ‘It came out a few days ago.’

‘I’m pretty slow.’ She grabbed the phone back and locked it, ‘But now that I know…Oppa~ How could you? You nag me endlessly about the namja’s I talk to. But behind my back you go and green light a possible lovemaking scene?’

Min Ho groaned inwardly. I knew it. I knew it. ‘It’s different!’ When she raised her eyebrow, he continued, ‘Yours is real life! This is my job! It doesn’t count!’

She began pouting, ‘Andwe! It’s not fair!’

‘If I had a choice, I’d do it with you.’

In response, Shin Hye sported a scandalized look, ‘Oppa! I cannot! I am a Queen!’

‘The King won’t notice.’ Min Ho gibed, further referencing her lonely, Queen role in the upcoming film, Royal Tailor. ‘She can lead an exciting life as a gangster’s lover.’

‘Andwe! I’ll be putting Ji Su-sunbae out of a job!’

‘Ah! See! You admit! It’s a job! Nothing to worry about!’

‘Sometimes your job can pull you away…Do you know about Mr and Mrs Smith?’

Min Ho chuckled, her tone was serious, but he could see from her face that she was trying very hard not to laugh. So he played along, ‘What should I do to assure you that I’d forever be “Mrs Park”?’

‘1-month without mentioning about my male friends.’ When Min Ho cringed, Shin Hye giggled, ‘How is that too long? It’s perfectly reasonable! I could’ve said Never!’

‘I’m a man! I must lay claim over what’s mine! I am naturally protective!’ He tilted his head slightly, and glanced up again, ‘Yah! You can ask the world from me, and you ask something so superficial!’

‘This isn’t superficial! It’s all I want!’ She dodged Min Ho’s hand by swiftly moving away, ‘Every time your green streak comes out, it makes me think like you should be cast in a Sageuk—always wanting to keep his woman away from every one! How are you going to be a proper gangster if your ways are so old?’

He narrowed his eyes, ‘Fine. 1-month.’ Thinking she had won, she accepted his outstretched arm. But as soon as he had her in his arms, he whispered, ‘On the condition you don’t talk to any namja for 1-month.’

‘Yah~!’

After their usual, playful wrestle, he steadied the both of them, ‘But seriously, are you okay with the possible scene?’

‘Of course I’m alright with it. It’s your job.’ The look in her eyes displayed her sincerity, and he sighed in relief. For had she said otherwise, he wasn’t sure how he’d communicate his sudden disproval for the scene to the director.

Shin Hye detangled herself from him and rose to her feet, looking over her shoulder with a smirk, ‘I mean…it’s totally okay for you to fake make love with someone else when you haven’t even done it with your own girlfriend.’

Min Ho’s mouth dropped open. Did she just say what I think she said? He began rising to his feet.

‘But that’s okay…I’ve got Yeon Suk Oppa.’ She said before darting around the corner, desperately looking for a hiding spot.

~.~


The door clicked open and he turned his head sharply towards the sound. I walked around the couch and placed a reassuring hand on his back and whispered, ‘Now’s the time to be charming, Oppa.’ I reached for his hand and pulled him up.

As he rose, I saw three familiar faces walk through the door. Appa, Omma, Oppa. I hadn’t told them why I had invited them over, and they hadn’t questioned me either. But they had to know it was something formal, because Shin Won Oppa was wearing his best pants, and Appa was actually wearing a tie. I looked over at the grinning Omma, she always made it a point to match Appa in some little way. Today, her maroon dress matched Appa’s tie. I let go of Min Ho’s hand and walked over to Appa and hugged him. This happened another two times with Omma and Oppa respectively.

As soon as we were done greeting each other, and I had fallen in step with Appa, Min Ho caught Appa’s eye and bowed, ‘Annyeong Haseyo, Abeonim.’ He turned his body slightly towards Omma, ‘Eomeonim,’ And finally at Oppa, ‘Shin Won-ssi.’ He stood to his full height, towering over all of the four of us, ‘It’s nice to meet you again.’ My eyes widened for a split second, wondering when was the last time they met.

Min Ho read my expression, and reminded me, ‘Remember when you invited the Heirs cast to your restaurant?’

Oh right! I had completely forgotten about that! ‘Ahh! That slipped my mind!’ I held my Appa’s hand, ‘You remember Min Ho right?’

Appa nodded and greeted Min Ho politely. Compared to Omma friendlier greeting, it made Appa seem stern and unaccepting, but the squeeze of his hand told me he was just playing with Min Ho. I tried my best to hide my smile.

‘Ah! Min Ho! Let’s speak informally.’ He patted Min Ho on the back, and ushered him towards the living area. Until now, we had been standing by the front door like five awkward penguins, ‘Congratulations on your meeting with the Prime Minister! Yah! Shin Hye sure knows how to surround herself with important people!’ I could always count on Oppa to lighten any situation.

All five of us sat down in my humble, living area. Appa and Omma on the two-seater, Oppa and I on the three-seater together with Bongji and Norri, and Min Ho on the one-seater settee, directly opposite Appa and Omma.

Appa looked at me with an expectant look. ‘Say it.’ His eyes said. In other words, Let’s get this night started!

I shot him a warning look before I interrupted the conversation Oppa and Min Ho were deeply embroiled in, ‘Appa, Omma…, I would like to formally introduce Min Ho as my boyfriend.’

Omma couldn’t contain her excitement. It was no secret that Omma was a big fan of Min Ho. ‘Aigoo! Finally!’

Oppa chuckled, ‘You think I didn’t know?’

Appa retained the same stoic expression he had since he entered the house, ‘How long?’

I opened my mouth, but the response that came wasn’t my voice, ‘About 4-months now, Abeonim.’

‘That’s quite a long time.’

‘Ne. I am sorry for keeping it from you.’

Omma stepped in, ‘Ani! We understand! There are a lot of issues to sort out when you date in this industry.’ She patted Appa’s arm, as if to tell him to let loose, ‘We are just glad it didn’t deter you from moving forward with our silly girl.’

‘Yah!’ I protested.

Min Ho could not hold back his amusement, ‘I had to convince the silly girl.’

‘Hul! 25-years old and you still dared protest?’ Oppa said, butting in. He was always making fun of my lacking love life.

Oppa and I began bickering between ourselves as Appa, Omma and Min Ho continued their more civilized conversation:

‘I’m so glad that you finally told us!’ Omma said.

‘I’m so happy that you accept us.’ Min Ho replied.

‘She can be a little stubborn sometimes, don’t be afraid to call me and tell me…I will discipline her for you!’ My mother joked.

Playing along, Min Ho jived, ‘Aniya, I wouldn’t trouble you like that! I must learn how to handle her now, if not, how will I handle her in the future?’

Omma tittered at Min Ho’s obvious reference to a possible future, ‘Min Ho-ssi, how many children are you willing to have?’ I winced a little at how fast Omma was in reaching that question.

But without missing a beat, his oh-so-charming response came, ‘As many grandchildren as you would like me to provide you with, Eomeonim!’

Hul! This man sure knows how to sweet-talk the Ajummas.

‘Aigoo!’ Omma touched her face. Omma had fallen nose deep under Min Ho’s spell. She was like a gushing teenager. I wonder if this was how Appa won her over?

Appa cleared his throat, ‘I think the general rule of thumb is not to flirt with your future mother-in law.’

I stifled a giggle; I couldn’t help but sneak a peek at Min Ho’s guilt-stricken face. How could he not see that Appa was only playing with him? Oppa was indicating for me to step in and save Min Ho. Instead, I launched myself into another mini-faux-argument with him.

‘Ah…ani. I was just—’ From the corner of my eye I could see Min Ho desperately glancing at me as he sputtered out his explanation. Am I terrible for finding amusement in seeing the usually confident Min Ho be thrown completely off balance, by my Appa, no less? ‘What I was trying to—’

‘Yeobo! What are you trying to do? Scare Shin Hye’s only boyfriend away?’ Omma to the rescue. She winked at Min Ho and continued berating Appa, ‘Didn’t you say you were worried that our little imp may very well never know a man’s touch?’

It was Appa’s turn to blush…and mine too. Did Omma just say that out loud? Never know a man’s touch?

Min Ho recovered quickly, ‘There’s nothing to worry about! Shin Hye has so many male suitors that it worries me! I am lucky she even paid me any attention.’

‘Just like her mother.’ Came Appa’s gruff reply, ‘The talk of the village. Completely clueless about the attention she was getting…’ Then came the megawatt smile, ‘Took a real man to catch her attention.’

I could see the similarities between them. Both of them oozed the same kind of masculine charm and confidence. But underneath it all, they’re still two middle-school boys, looking to have some fun.

‘You must teach me your tactics, Abeonim!’

In that moment, I felt my heart soar a little. There was something very heart-warming about seeing your Appa laughing heartily with the only other namja that matters. Appa shot me a wink, and I offered him a sneaky thumbs up.

If only the public’d be as accepting as Appa…

~.~

 

I ushered Appa and Omma in, Noona had already welcomed herself in and I could hear her greeting Shin Hye in the kitchen:

Annyeong Haseyo!’ Came Shin Hye’s voice.

My sister’s voice seemed almost booming compared to Shin Hye’s softer, gentler tone, ‘Jun Kyung. But you can just call me Unnie! Yah! He finally got you huh!’

Shin Hye giggled nervously, as my sister chattered on.

‘Is she the one?’ Omma whispered into my ear.

‘Omma, you haven’t even met her yet!’ I whispered back.

‘It’s Park Shin Hye. I know! I just know it!’ She was bubbling over in excitement. I was glad that even in my choice of yeoja, I didn’t disappoint.

Appa’s first words since our greeting was, ‘Jun Kyung thinks she’s too good for you.’ Appa’s known for having a wry sense of humour, and clearly, today was no different.

‘What does she know?’ I gambolled, ‘She just doesn’t realize what an asset I am.’

‘Yah! I heard that!’ Jun Kyung roared as the three of us filed in through the living room arch, fist waving ‘Just because your girlfriend is here, doesn’t mean I won’t wrestle you…here and now!’

Shin Hye politely removed her hand from Noona’s and turned to face Oppa and Appa, she bent forward, hands clasped at the front, ‘Annyeong Haseyo, Eomeonim, Abeonim!’

‘Wa! You’re much prettier in person!’ Omma proclaimed, ‘I hope our ah dul hasn’t been causing you too much trouble!’ She pinched my cheeks as she usually does, ‘He got his naughty genes from his father.’

‘Ani. He’s been a perfect gentleman.’ Said Shin Hye.

Noona choked purposefully.

‘If he ever causes you any sort of pain, you can just report him to Jun Kyung. She’ll keep him in line.’ Appa said, taking Shin Hye’s outstretched hand in his. ‘I’ve taught him all I can, but ultimately, he’s incorrigible.’

Ha ha ha! That’s what I told him in the beginning!’ Shin Hye blurted, forgetting herself. When she realized, she quickly covered .

Appa and Omma laughed heartily, unmistakably amused by Shin Hye, ‘No need to sing his praises. We all know how he is.’ Appa reassured.

Shin Hye caught my eye, indicating for me to usher us into the dining area where the dinner she had prepared awaited, ‘Ah…let’s not lie to ourselves. All of you only came because you wanted to be fed.’ I ushered Noona towards the dining area, Shin Hye hung back with Appa and Omma, ‘I had no hand in preparing dinner…Shin Hye cooked it all.’

She had arrived at 1400 this afternoon to work on preparing dinner. Didn’t even give me the time of day. Thirty minutes before my family’s arrival, she had rushed into my guest bathroom to wash up and change, giving me strict instructions to not touch any of the food. Hul! What does she think I am? A barbarian?

When she came out she looked absolutely wonderful. Dressed in a sweet, peach coloured dress, hair swept back into a low ponytail, there was no way she wouldn’t impress any future, potential, in-laws. As usual, she had chosen to keep her make up light and natural, the one thing I really loved about her. I had attempted to pull her into a hug, but she held me at an arms length distance, said if I did anything more than hold her hand, and smile at her, Appa and Omma will be able to see it on her.

‘What do you think they think we do? We’re full grown adults!’ I had protested.

Adamantly she shook her head, pushed me away and manoeuvred her way around me, towards the kitchen, citing that she needed to begin plating for dinner.

A few days before, she had asked what each of my family member enjoyed eating, and I had given her a short list.

‘You made all this?’ Jun Kyung asked, eyes widening at the sight of dinner. ‘Yah! It’s got all our favourite dishes! Seafood pancake, Pork Kimchi Stew, Seasoned fried chicken…!’ She sat herself down, closest to the chicken.

Omma nodded her head approvingly, silently sneaking her way across the room, seating herself closest to the seafood pancake.

Appa grinned, ‘Thank you, often when we come, we have to bring food with us. Min Ho is hopeless in the kitchen.’ As I pulled out the chair for Shin Hye, Appa continued, ‘That’s why when he told us not to bring anything, we knew something was up.’

‘I will try to teach him, Abeonim!’ Shin Hye pledged, her laughing eyes watching me. I sat down next to her, ‘He’s cooked me instant kimchi 
noodles—’

Omma sighed loudly, and waved an angry finger at me, ‘Yah! How could you feed this pretty girl instant noodles! Aigoo! Are you trying to destroy that lovely complexion?’

‘Omma, Shin Hye doesn’t know that our Min Ho really doesn’t know anything about girls.’ Jun Kyung mocked.

‘Yah! I’ll have you know for her birthday, I pre—’

Shin Hye stuffed a piece of pork into my mouth, ‘Let’s eat! The food is getting cold!’

~.~


Shin Hye made a move to follow Min Ho’s parents out, but Min Ho lassoed her back in, providing his family with a feasible excuse, ‘She can’t leave now. Her manager will be picking her up later. Dispatch may be on our tails.’

Min Ho’s Appa didn’t say anything, simply offered a knowing smile, nodded towards Shin Hye and warmly wished her a good night. Omma clucked her tongue, but did the same. The less tactful Jun Kyung hugged Shin Hye and whispered into her ear, but loud enough for Min Ho to hear, ‘Kick him if he tries anything.’

Min Ho pulled Jun Kyung away from Shin Hye and shoved her towards the lift, ‘Go!’

As the lift doors closed, Min Ho finally pulled Shin Hye into his arms. All night she had been pushing him away every time he attempted to hold her. ‘Even with ahjussi’s, you’re a hit.’ He accused.

‘You promised! 1-month without menti—’

‘Male friends! Appa isn’t your fri—’

‘Abeonim is my friend now!’

‘Aisssh!’

After meeting her parents, and having her meet his, he noticed that Shin Hye had an affinity with men. She appealed to young men, and that made him fume. But she also appealed to older men, in a filial daughter sort of way, and that warmed his heart.

They moved back into his apartment, and he closed the door. ‘Why did you lie to them? Jun Oppa isn’t coming to pick me up!’ She asked.

‘How could you think of leaving so suddenly?’

Not understanding, Shin Hye chided, ‘You want me to clean up too?! Yah! I cooked!’

Min Ho pulled Shin Hye with him towards the couch, and pulled her onto his lap, ‘How could you leave when we haven’t done this?’ He lifted her chin, and pressed his lips lightly to hers.

‘Is this all you care about?’ Shin Hye teased, running her fingertips lightly across his arm, sending delicious shivers up his spine.  

‘Amongst other things.’

Quickly, she rose to her feet and moved to the kitchen, ‘Arasso, I’ll clean up and be on my way.’

‘Yah! Stop ignoring me! Stop paying attention to the dishes!’ He followed after her, stamping his foot as he went.

She had already started soaking the dishes in soapy water when he entered the kitchen. What is she? Superwoman? How did she do that so fast? He thought to himself. Min Ho leaned back against the doorframe and watched her systematically soap and set aside the dishes she had soaped, humming the tune of Arm Pillow to herself.

So engrossed in washing the dishes, Shin Hye failed to notice that one of her dress straps had fallen down past her shoulder. Min Ho stalked over to her, rinsed her hands under the running tap, shut the tap off and ran her hands through the dry cloth. It all happened so fast that Shin Hye didn’ even have time to react. 

‘The dishes…’

‘I have a dishwasher.’

‘But—’

He lifted her up and placed her on the kitchen counter before positioning himself in between her legs. To her he muttered, ‘Don’t even know what you do to me.’ His eyes was heavy laden, his tone several notches lower than usual.

Shin Hye gulped, very aware of the fact where his hands were placed on her thighs. ‘Did something happen?’ She heard herself squeak.

‘Are you still going to pretend you don’t know what I’m doing every time I do this?’ His hands moved to her waist, inching upwards at an unnervingly slow pace. He picked at the fabric of her dress, ‘I still prefer your silk dressing robe though.’

This happened every time! He’d like this, and she’d just melt like butter! It’s time to change the game.

So just as his lips reached hers, she blurted, ‘Choi Jin Hyuk.’

Startled, he moved his head back, and dropped his hands from her sides, ‘Choi Jin Hyuk?

His breath was still uneven, she could see from the rise and fall of his chest. His eyes still dark pools of desire…but also confusion.

She ran a teasing finger from his neck down his chest, ‘His new show just ended.’

His Adams apple bobbed, ‘So?’

Her finger ran further down, ‘We should text him.’

‘Why?’

‘Give me your phone.’ Her finger stopped short of his belt buckle.

‘Wae?!’

‘No?’

He braced his hands on either side of her on the countertop and stamped his foot a little, ‘Yah! We were in the middle of something!’

‘Were we?’ Shin Hye responded, tone light with humour as her fingers tip-toed walk across his waist to his left pants pocket. ‘What were we in the middle of?’ She slowly reached her hand in and pulled out his phone. ‘Surely it can wait.’

‘Choi Jin Hyuk, Ha!’ Min Ho scoffed. ‘He’s not even thinking about you…why are you thinking about him?’

His phone screen lit up, ‘Choi Jin Hyuk is my fri—’

‘Your friend.’

She started tapping words into a new chat with Choi Jin Hyuk as she continued conversationally, ‘And Min Ho promised not too—’

His teeth was clenched, ‘Not to talk about Park Shin Hye’s male friends for—’

‘One month!’ The sent tone of Min Ho’s phone sounded, ‘That’s right! You remember!’ She placed the phone, screen up, on the kitchen counter, ‘And Min Ho is a man of his word!’

Min Ho grunted, but his eyes travelled down to his phone, reading what Shin Hye had texted, ‘Hyung! Congratulations on your drama! What were you thinking? You were thinking erted thoughts weren’t you?

He felt it first in his belly, rising rapidly to his throat, and then he was roaring with laughter.

Shin Hye took this chance to hop off the counter, and out the kitchen, Min Ho hot on her heels, ‘Come back here, you little minx! I’m not done with you!’