In The Shadows

The Pleasure of Your Company

[16 January 2014]

‘Can’t you come? Dress like a guy! You know how to pull it off!’ Min Ho implored for the thousandth time. ‘Don’t you want to see me dance live? Don’t you want to hear Say Yes sung live?’

But still his yeoja chingu refused, aware that if any fan recognized her, they’d be done for, dramatic as it sounded, ‘Andwe! Besides, I already promised my friends I’d go with them for this holiday. I can’t pull out last minute.’

Feeling slighted, Min Ho grumbled, although albeit pointlessly, ‘I haven’t met these friends, but I don’t like them! How can they take you away like this?’

‘It’s really the other way around, Oppa.’ Shin Hye chaffed, already accustomed to the whiny Min Ho.

‘Aissssh! Can’t you just let me whine?’

‘Then what’d be the fun in talking?’

‘Fine. You may go for this damned trip, but on one condition!’

‘Wae? I’m already booked to go! Condition or no co—’

‘You have to send me an itemized run down of exactly what clothes you’re packing for the trip.’

Astounded by his odd request, Shin Hye exclaimed, ‘Yah! Wae?’

‘I need to make sure that you don’t pack anything indecent!’

‘Yah! My wardrobe is the epitome of decent!’

‘Mwo? Have you forgotten that dress…and the other dress? AND THE OTHER DRESS?’ His voice rose as he went, hoping to put his point, even if a very senseless one, across.

‘Arasso, arasso, so according to you, I have a worn a few questionable dresses—’

‘Mwo?!’

In an act to appease her elementary school boyfriend, Shin Hye all too willingly agreed, ‘Aissssh! Arasso, I’ll let you know. Happy?’

‘And if you dare to sneak an item of clothing that I do not approve, I’ll come over and—’ Min Ho threatened emptily.

‘Eat breakfast?

‘Yah! Are you not going to let that go? I was overwhelmed with too much emotion!’

‘Every time you’re overwhelmed with emotion, you’re going to come over and eat breakfast?’ Pulling Min Ho’s leg was always worthwhile. For while the Hallyu star, Lee Min Ho may be able to ooze charm, and remain calm and collected in front of the cameras, the real Min Ho, Park Shin Hye’s namja chingu, had great difficulty maintaining his composure.

Min Ho yawned purposefully into the phone, no longer able to offer a more articulate response to Shin Hye’s jests.

Without missing a beat, Shin Hye gibed, ‘Aigoooo! Practicing the dance to Love Motion all day must’ve worn you out!’

‘Yah!’

~.~

 

[21 January 2014; In Min Ho’s apartment]
 

‘Nu gu?’ Min Ho mouthed.

Shin Hye covered the mouthpiece of her hand phone and whispered back, ‘Geun Suk Oppa.’ Before quickly returning to the phone conversation with her ex-You’re Beautiful co-star, ‘Ani!...We’ve just both been so busy!’

Min Ho perked up in his seat, and stopped chewing, with hope that by doing so, he’d be able to hear the whole phone conversation.

‘Ne!...Tong Yi…Ne!’ Was all he could hear, and that was only because Shin Hye was sitting opposite him, in person.

What could they be talking about? She hadn’t even greeted him on the phone when she picked up the call, instead she had laughed at something her “Geun Suk Oppa” had said. How often did these two talk? Judging by the way she lounged back in her seat, and the idle tapping of her foot, she was quite comfortable chatting with him on the phone.

‘Omo! Chincha? Aigoo! I didn’t know!’ She exclaimed excitedly.

From what I gather, he probably just told her good news. Why did he call her to give her good news? Yah! Mr Jang! These times I have with Shin Hye are too precious for you to waste with your happy news! Friends send texts with talk of their good news! She’ll respond to it when she’s free!

Her cheeks began to flush at something Geun Suk had said, and she began fanning herself as she responded coyly, ‘Ani!...What’re you talking about?’

Min Ho folded his arms, and narrowed his eyes, hoping to catch Shin Hye’s attention. However, Shin Hye was too engrossed in the conversation to the notice that her ten-year old namja chingu was stewing in silent jealousy.

‘Yah! Oppa! Andwe!...’ She finally looked at the man sitting in front of her with thoughtful consideration, but still failing to notice his folded arms, and narrowed eyes, ‘How am I supposed to know what he’s doing now?’

He’s talking about me! But what about?...Wait, did he call Shin Hye to ask about me? Wae?

Min Ho raised an inquiring brow at the very flustered girlfriend, who was trying hard to edge a word in, but was seemingly failing to do so. Each time she opened , Geun Suk must’ve gone off on another teasing frenzy because she’d shut again, cheeks only getting redder.

So this is the dude that can out talk her…! Hul! She can barely get a word in!

‘Yah!...Where are you getting your information from?’ She finally managed to say.

Finally losing his patience, Min Ho stood a little and raised his wrist to Shin Hye’s level, tapping at his watch. Yah! Speed it up a little!

Shin Hye nodded sheepishly, ‘Ne, Oppa, Mianhae, I actually have to go now. How about we continue this conversation when we meet in China, arasso?’

Meet in China? Yah? Wae? Andwe! Even I don’t meet you in China, why is he meeting you in China? Yah! Shin Hye-ah! I’m right here!

‘Ne, February…Ne. Arasso, take care oh? Bye, Oppa~!’

When she finally ended the call, Min Ho jumped to ask, ‘Why did he call you? What did he say? Why’re you meeting him?...Andwe!’

Shin Hye gave him an amused glance before looking back down at her phone, flicking through her screen, looking for something, ‘He just called to say hello.’ She lifted her screen and showed her an event in her calendar, Tong Yi CF Shoot it read, ‘I’m meeting him in China because we’re shooting a CF.’

‘Wae? Andwe! Shoot the commercial with me! I replaced him once, I can do it again!’ Min Ho was referring to the 2009 Etude CF where he had replaced Geun Suk as the male model.

‘Aigoo! Oppa! Doesn’t the green-eyed monster ever rest?’ Shin Hye teased, placing her phone back onto the glass dining table, ‘I don’t whine when you do CF’s with other pretty girls.’

‘That’s because you’re ten times prettier…! There’s nothing to worry about!’ Then he realized something, ‘Yah! Are you trying to say Geun Suk is handsome?...Or are you saying he’s pretty too?’ He was making reference to an earlier conversation they had had in regard to Geun Suk’s effeminate looks.

Shin Hye choked on the water she was drinking, and it sputtered out onto her empty plate, she quickly grabbed her napkin and dabbed at the ends of , ‘Oppa! Not when I’m drinking!’

‘Wae? It’s an innocent question!’ A cheeky grin formed on his lips as the side of his eyes crinkled.

‘I merely meant that I don’t complain when you pose and interact with individuals of the opposite gender!’ Shin Hye responded, shooting an accusing look at the laughing namja. Then her face broke out into a teasing grin, ‘But of course he’s beauteous!’

‘Just like that? He’s beauteous? No, “But you’re more gorgeous.” or “But he can’t compare to you!” Just, he’s beauteous.

Shin Hye nodded, biting her lips to keep herself from laughing. Min Ho’s face of absolute incredulity was rather entertaining. Of course she’d ease his antsy heart later on, but as for now, she was quite contended pulling his leg, ‘Well, you’re not too bad.’

~.~

 

[26 January 2014, 2135]
 

I want to be your boyfriend.

Do not be scared. Say yes.
 

The Package 6♥
 

‘Wae?’ Shin Hye answered, Min Ho knew she was on vacation with her family, so if he was calling, it must be urgent.

Leaving all the Hellos and the How-are-yous for later, Min Ho cut straight to the case, ‘Have you seen the news lately? Did Jun Hyung inform you?’

‘Wae-yo? Ani. I’ve only just checked my phone since I got off the plane to let you know I reached safely.’

By the change in his tone, Shin Hye could tell he was reading off something, ‘China Entertainment Network News has news that the couple that played in the hit drama Heirs, Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye are in love.’ He paused for a short second, allowing what he had just read to sink in, ‘It is reported that the two have a secret love for two months.’

Shin Hye gasped, unsure what to make of the situation, there was no way anyone could’ve found out about them.

Her silence let Min Ho know that the news has come as a shock to her, ‘I’m sure they have no basis.’ He tried to assure his girlfriend who was thousands of miles away. They lived in the same damned country, but it almost felt like they were in a long distance relationship, ‘It’s no secret that many people have been hoping for a possible pairing between the two of us…’

‘Keunde, they’re not wrong in saying so…’ Her voice trailed off, suddenly pierced by the overwhelming rush of thoughts concerning all the possible outcomes for them if the news got too big.

‘Shin Hye-ah, part of us knew that this would happen eventually. We were already being asked about each other every time we went for an interview…’

‘Ne. But I just didn’t expect it to happen so fast…I mean, they’re not too far off in the duration estimate of our relationship!’

‘A lucky guess.’

‘Is it? Or were we being too obvious?’

‘We were as careful as we could’ve possibly been.’ Min Ho ensured. His calmness and confidence was mainly rooted in the fact that he’d been through this before, but the difference was, he’d been more careful in this relationship. As a result, he was absolutely show that there was no way anyone in the media could’ve found out.

‘Keunde—’

‘Ani, don’t let this ruin your holiday. I didn’t even want to call…but Han Hyung insisted I did…because we have a decision to make.’

Shin Hye hesitated for a bit, then responded, ‘What decision?’

‘We either ignore the rumour, allowing it to dissipa—’

‘But what if it doesn’t?’

‘We either ignore it or we deny the rumours.’

Shin Hye fell to a thoughtful silence, leaving the instrumental music playing in the background to let Min Ho know that she was still there. Min Ho was fine with either choice, and so, patiently waited, listening to the highs and the lows of the violin concerto as Shin Hye continued debating with herself.

Finally, Shin Hye broke the silence, with a question, ‘If we deny, we’d be lying.'

‘Ne.’

‘If we ignore it, and the news spreads, and we deny it then, we’d be lying to more people…’

‘Ah…I didn’t see it that way…alternatively, we ignore it, and it dissipates.’

‘Keunde, it’d seem too out of character for me to ignore it…for I’ve actively denied every single dating rumour I’ve ever had.’

Min Ho made a low growl, recalling the list of men Shin Hye had been already linked with. He had already mentally placed them all into individual black boxes, sealed, and pushed out into the open sea, ‘Ne.’

‘Oppa~ What should we do?’

‘What do you feel most comfortable with?’ Min Ho inquired. He didn’t want her decision to be waivered by his input. While the following decision should be a joint decision, he preferred if he let Shin Hye come to her own decision first.

‘Denying it.’

‘You’re confident with that?’

With conviction, she replied, ‘Ne.’

‘Arasso, we’ll deny it then. Would you like me to call Jun Hyung for you? Or would you prefer to do it on your own?’

‘Wait! You didn’t tell me what you thought!’

‘I didn’t mind either really; both seemed like the logical decision. But since you mentioned that it has always been your habit to deny rumours, I suppose it’d be less suspicious if you denied this one too.’

‘Arasso, only if you’re really sure…I’ll call Jun Oppa on my own.’ Shin Hye fell back first onto her Queen-sized hotel bed, and sighed loudly, ‘Keunde, I feel so bad for lying…’

‘I’m positive.’ With that, he lightened his tone, not wanting the news he had brought to spoil the remainder of her holiday, ‘What have you been doing since you arrived? Don’t let your Omma coerce you into buying another flowery dress, arasso? You won’t be needing another one…’

~.~

 

[30 January 2014]

Min Ho scrolled through the websites, quickly scanning the words, ‘Actress Park Shin Hye’s agency claims the rumours between her and Lee Min Ho are fictitious…’ Min Ho sighed and leaned back, rubbing his temples. With the dating rumours circling, their agencies had advised them to lay low, meaning he probably shouldn’t be making unplanned visits to her place.

Where Shin Hye excelled, Min Ho struggled. He constantly found it difficult to not mention her in his interviews, or mentioning ideals that somehow matched Shin Hye. How could he when she was on his mind 24/7? As a result, President Kim had specifically requested that Min Ho avoided mentioning Shin Hye for awhile, at least until the rumours died down.

Sensing his frustration, Manager Han reached over and closed the laptop, ‘You knew it wouldn’t be easy.’ His words factual, his tone sympathetic.

Yes, he knew, but he hadn’t expected it to occur so quickly. His mind wandered back to the statement they released earlier that morning, 'The scandal is absolutely not true. Their intentions of wanting to get something out of us by making up the scandal is ridiculous. It makes us very uncomfortable.

‘I just think that our statement came out a little too harsh.’

Manager Han nodded his head. Whether it was in agreement or if it was simply to appease him, Min Ho wasn’t sure. Instead, Han Hyung decided to change the subject, ‘Her birthday is coming up, do you have anything in mind? If you let me know ahead of time, I may be able to coordinate with Jun-ssi.’

Min Ho blinked a few times, did he really look that pitiful that Manager Han was offering him a favour without any prompting? ‘Ah…I thought we had to lay low…?’

‘Yes, you do.’ Manager Han rose to his feet, headed towards the kitchen counter and began slicing himself a piece of cake, ‘But even celebrities deserve a nice birthday celebration with their loved ones, especially the pretty ones.’ He finished, in between large mouthfuls of cake.

With a knowing smile, Min Ho cross his arms and closed his eyes, choosing not to say anything more. Manager Han was smitten with his yeoja chingu, and for once, he was glad.












Authors Note:

Eeeks! Sorry for the super late update! I've just been hopping between countries,
and since I've been back, I've just been bogged down with heaps to do! Aka my extended
holiday is now over, resulting in less free time to write. 

Also, I apologize for any inaccuracies (date, information, etc)! My researching was less through/ and will be
less through henceforth. :(

Anyhoo, thank you for reading! :)