4. Umbrellas and Movies

Pink Balloons

 

"I am so sorry!" Chanyeol bursted out of the car and ran over to Baekhyun who was lucky enough to have an umbrella over his head. With a welcoming grin on his face the smaller boy put the umbrella over him as well to keep himself out of the rain.

"It's fine really" Baekhyun smiled and stared gratefully to Chanyeol's eyes. He watched other University students walk through the gates reuniting with their loved ones and lovers with sincere smiles plastered on their lips. Chanyeol trailed his eyes to where Baekhyun was staring at and smiled at the two young couples under an umbrella with hands linked together. Baekhyun felt a slight pinch of envy of the couple and wished he had a hand to hold on to and walk together through the rain. Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun and gave him a toothy grin before walking over to the car parked a couple feet back.

"Chanyeol, can we go to a coffee shop? I want to meet someone there..." Baekhyun said loudly to fight over the sound of the noisy rain drops pouring. Chanyeol stopped and nodded and turned to the opposite direction of the car.

"Where is this coffee shop?" Chanyeol asked, his deep tone tingling in Baekhyun's ears. He pointed at the direction where it was suppose to be. It wasn't far, but it was a long walk since they had to cross a couple of streets to the right. Baekhyun took the lead as Chanyeol clumsily held the umbrella under the smaller one's head. Not caring for his soaking wet shoulders and damp hair. Baekhyun frowned and pulled Chanyeol under the umbrella, holding him by the arm.

"I don't want you getting soak and wet you idiot," Baekhyun scolded and lightly tapped Chanyeol's head before returing his gaze upon the muddy sidewalks. It was noisy and the pouring rain was vicious. It wasn't like a drizzle of gentle raindrops falling on your face. It's like a giant bucket that poured on the city. Unconsciously, Chanyeol laid his hand on the other boy's shoulder and pulled him closer. Baekhyun flinched with the contact of Chanyeol's warm skin, brushing against his sensitive spot. Baekhyun tried not to show his weakness and kept quiet, enjoying the hand on his shoulder. They finally arrived the coffee shop Baekhyun wanted to go to and with hesitation, they went in to get out of the rain. Baekhyun was fairly dry while Chanyeol was wet by his shoulders and his hair  damp. The boy looked apologetically at the giant and gave him a reassuring grin in return. They took a seat and Baekhyun headed at the counter where his friend was.

Chanyeol watched patiently with his hands folded together. It was noisy. There were never ending noise in such a big city. He isn't used to it anymore and he can't help but feel a little irritated. The cars honking loudly at one after another, people laughing and talking loudly, the rain constantly tapping on the window sill. He got used to the quiet after moving in with Jongin two months ago. Chanyeol can't help but, blame Oh Sehun for bringing him to a place so quiet. Baekhyun came back with two fresh hot coffees and a donut in a pack by his mouth. He gladly took the coffee and pulled a chair for Baekhyun to sit. Behind Baekhyun there was a small boy in a barrista uniform. He was small build like Baekhyun but was more masculine rather than feminine. Chanyeol bowed and waved before sitting and taking a sip of coffee.

"Channie~ This is Minseok hyung", Baekhyun introduced him with a wide smile written on his lips. Minseok grinned and wiped his hands clean on his apron, giving out a hand to shake.

"I'm Minseok, nice to meet you."

Chanyeol choked on his coffee and let out a dry cough before accepting the hand, "Nice- ahem- to meet you."

He chuckled and pulled a chair over to their table to start small conversations. Minseok introduced Yixing, a new employee to them before going on with other stories to talk about. Baekhyun laughed full heartedly with his beautiful hands clutching on his chest. Chanyeol choked on his coffee again and turned to the side to hide his red face. It was a long day and Baekhyun gave Chanyeol his donut before eating his.

"Thanks", Chanyeol mumbled and set the donut to the side.

Baekhyun grinned and stuffed half the donut in his mouth, causing Baekhyun to choke for the third time today. But, this time with his saliva which was caught in his throat.

"What?" Baekhyun raised a brow, speaking with his mouth full, with manners he covered his mouth with both of his hands.

Chanyeol shook his head and cleared his throat, "Nothing..I was a bit surprise."

Baekhyun swallowed his donut and took a sip of his coffee, "I'm not that elegant," he giggled and gently slapped Chanyeol on the arm across the round table. Chanyeol smiled big showing two rows of perfectly pearly teeth. Baekhyun grinned again with leftover donut powder stained on the side of his lip. The taller boy pointed out the stain of the older boy and gave Baekhyun a mischievous smile.

"Here?", Baekhyun tried to away from the opposite direction. Chanyeol frowned and grabbed a tissue and swiftly wiped his pink lips clean. Baekhyun frowned and brushed his fingers against his lips.

"I was going to it clean!"

The rain suddenly becomes lighter turning to gentle drizzles. The clouds lightened to a lighter shade of gray, sunlight almost seeping through the clouds. The taller boy glanced at the light blue umbrella laying on the floor and grabbed it before he forgets the good umbrella. They wave both Minseok and Yixing goodbye before standing up to their feet.

"Ready to go?" Baekhyun grins and beckons him over. Chanyeol nods and followings after Baekhyun first opening the umbrella. They walk slower than they did an hour ago, this time watching the the city become brighter and brighter. Chanyeol suddenly starts the conversation, startling the smaller boy. He grinned and laid his hand again on the smaller boy's shoulder. They talked on their way back, smiling and laughing at each other's dry jokes. After that they playfully bumped each other on the shoulders until Baekhyun trips and falls on to his knees, falling on the mud and ruined his dark jeans. They arrive at the the car, damp but happy. Chanyeol cleans off the mud off of his jeans and sets hello kitty bandages on his scratch.

"You have hello kitty bandages?", Baekhyun grins watching Chanyeol gently put the bandaid on his scratch.

Chanyeol shook his head, "These are Jongin's, I found it here."

 

For a while they sit in peace, driving through traffic and boring roads. The cars passing by were dull and covered in rain drops that had dried. Baekhyun couldn't help but feel a bit bored with the quiet sinking into him. Chanyeol on the other hand was too concentrated on the road, with his lips thinned into a straight line. The smaller boy pulled out his phone to kill boredom.

"Who you texting?" Chanyeol suddenly asked, startling Baekhyun from his deep voice. He sighed in relief and clutched on his chest, grinning back to Chanyeol who gave him an apologetic look.

"It's just Kyungsoo."

The taller man hummed and continued to look straight on the street. It began to rain again as the rain drops thump on to their windshield in steady beats. Soon it became rapid and he forcefully the wipers. Baekhyun followed the movements of the wipers with his eyes, pouting his pink lips out playfully. From the corner of Chanyeol's eyes, he chuckled, "The kids missed you at the daycare."

"Oh really?" Baekhyun responded with his eyes closed.

Chanyeol nodded, "Yeah and I got a new job."

Baekhyun's eyes opened slightly and his grin faltered into a small frown, "Does that mean you're leaving the center?"

"No, never," he replied softly and nudged Baekhyun on the arm. Baekhyun sat up and patted his thighs nervously. He avoided contact with the other boy by watching the cars pass by quickly,and watching the raindrops race down the window. Unconsciously he hummed and filled the silence with his head rocking from side to side. He closed his eyes and embraced the silence. Chanyeol started to bob his head, moving to the beat of Baekhyun's soft hums. He grinned and hummed along with him soon after.

 

"So," Baekhyun paused and shifted closer to Chanyeol, "What's the new job you got?"

Chanyeol turned his eyes briefly away from the road, "Oh, I got a job as a photographer. A smaller company though, more simpler than the last one I had. I have bad records."

"What do you mean bad record," suddenly he gasped and looked at him with judging eyes. Chanyeol squirmed and laughed nervously with his free hand rubbing the nape of his neck, "Don't tell me you're a criminal!"

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with surprised eyes, "What?"

"Are you a offender?"

"Baek-"

"-Did you steal?"

"Wait wha-"

"-Oh don't tell me you kidnapped poor children!", Baekhyun added with a hint of fear in his voice. Chanyeol rubbed his face with his other hand.

"Baekhyun listen to me!"

"I'm listening", Baekhyun leaned back with his slender fingers playing with the locks of his brown hair cascaded over his small adorable eyes. Chanyeol sighed.

"I'm no criminal. I just have 'behavior issues' and I have problems following directions and rules."

Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol, "I could see the following directions problems. I remember last time when I specifically told you not to show Yejun the bubble gum and at the same time you show it to him with that evil grin on your pretty face. I had to deal with an annoying Yejun that I adore so much! And the other time when I told you to watch Yejun, and yet you didn't. You didn't even get to see him punch Minhee's face!"

Chanyeol coughed dryly, "Baek, don't start nagging at me again."

Baekhyun crossed his arms, "I'm sorry."

"Anyway", Chanyeol changed the subject, "I used to work as a freelancer not until I was caught by the cops."

"I told you were a criminal," Baekhyun mumbled. Chanyeol raised a brow and smiled meekly.

"I was caught because I wasn't allowed to take pictures and I did."

"Did you take a picture of dead people?" Baekhyun started to get curious and leaned on his hand that rests on the sides of the window.

Chanyeol blinked, "What? No. I took a picture of the angry cops. I guess they got annoyed with the camera being so close to their face", Chanyeol sighed and turned to the left.

"Maybe they didn't like the flashes," Baekhyun smiled and chuckled softly.

"Nah, because I showed them a horrible picture of them and they got angry."

Baekhyun laughed, tears slipping through his eyes. He clutched on his heart and covered his mouth in embarrassment. Chanyeol chuckled and parked Jongin's car on an empty slot before turning the keys. Baekhyun looked around confused before following Chanyeol out the door who waited for the other latter to come out. Baekhyun tried to catch up with him with quick, and small steps. They were at the market and he didn't ask questions and just followed the tall boy that disappeared in the crowds. With his cheeks red, Baekhyun frantically searched for the giant in the crowds.

"Baekhyun," he heard a voice and a light hold on his shoulder. He turned and grinned, "We're going to buy some oranges and eat some at the car. Jongin texted me and he wants a movie."

Baekhyun nodded and followed Chanyeol to the fruits and picked up a few while Chanyeol was busy looking for other treats for their friends to eat on their way back. A while later they arrived with a couple plastic bags on their hands and keys dangling on the side of Chanyeol's side pocket. With Baekhyun's free hand, he pulled the keys out of his pocket and clumsily opened the lock.

Jongin popped from the side with Jihoon in his arms and Yejun on Kyungsoo. A tall man from behind grinned and grabbed the bags from Baekhyun as he shuffled towards the kitchen. With Chanyeol confused and shocked from the amount of visitors in their home, he watched the tall man take charge of the groceries and set all the snacks on the tables. Yejun and Jihoon tugged on his jeans and played with his fingers before shuffling over to Baekhyun who set his jacket on the couch and crouched to embrace the two children.

The man named Kris smirked, "Where the hell have you been Byun Baekhyun? My children have been pestering me."

Baekhyun smiled smugly, "Well, it's called school Mr. Wu."

Chanyeol's eyes darted from one person to another as he stared in trance, placing a can of soda blindly on the table. Jongin suddenly patted the giant, cutting him from his awkward trance between the two people. As what Baekhyun said, he isn't that innocent, so he figured to let the angel image of the boy slip away once in a while. He blinked at Jongin before seeing a phone being ed into his face.

"Sehun texted you", he bluntly said before walking more further in the kitchen, opening the fridge to open a new cup of yogurt. Chanyeol frowned and hesitantly opened the new message sent from his unpredictable friend in the cities.

From: Oh Sehun

I saw you with a guy, who was that your boyfriend?

Chanyeol choked on his saliva before fiddling his fingers across the small keyboard.

To: Oh Sehun

Stalker! I swear. No he isn't he's just a friend.

Not long he heard the ringtone, the screen saying 'Oh Sehun is calling." He answered and walked up to his room so their little talk wouldn't be exposed to the visitors sitting downstairs feeling at home. Even from afar, he could hear Mr. Wu and Baekhyun bickering about children and tips.

"What?" Chanyeol harshly hissed. Sehun chuckled and responded in a mocking tone.

"Calm down. I was just kidding. Me and Luhannie were at the coffee shop to visit the barrista, Minseok. We happened to spy on you guys at the same time. Haha, you guys were so lovey dovey."

Chanyeol groaned, "Look who's talking."

 

"Chanyeol!", Kyungsoo suddenly called from the first floor, "Come down, we're going to watch some movies."

He said his last words to Sehun before dashing down the stairs and jumping over the railings like an excited child who hears that they were going to disney land. Yejun and Jihoon were sent to Jongin's room to play with their toys they brought from home. Kris chuckled and pulled out a scary movie before inserting it in the VCR. Of course Kyungsoo was a bit disgusted from the amount of dust piled on top of the old T.V, so he wiped it off while everyone waited for the movie to load and finding seats. Jongin sat next to Kyungsoo who prefered to sit next to the arm's of the couch. Kris sat on the floor with his legs crossed and Baekhyun and Chanyeol sitting together squished and knees hitting against each other. They squirmed a bit before relaxing and placing their arms on each other's laps.

"Hyung this is a cheesy scary movie," Jongin uttered before yawning and leaning on Kyungsoo's shoulder who seem to give out with his eyes drooping. Kris who was on the floor curled up was fast asleep. Baekhyun stared at the screen fascinated with the moments and scenes though agreeing with the younger boy that it was a cheesy movie.

"I'm so sorry genius," Chanyeol frowned and leaned back with his arms behind his head. Baekhyun patted him on the forehead.

"Don't worry we could make inferences and predictions to what's going to happen next. Like this, the kid's going to go through that door and he's going to see the ghost."

Chanyeol nodded, "Yeah and he's going to be the next one to die. Leaving the two main characters alive. It's pretty obvious."

Baekhyun smiled and leaned on his shoulder. Chanyeol's breath stopped and turned red faced to Baekhyun who didn't seem to mind the skin contact. He watched as the light illuminating on the boy's face casted over his soft features, "It did happen Yeol. He did die."

Chanyeol chuckled and watched along side with Baekhyun, his eyes felt heavy but, he didn't want to sleep. Not yet. Yejun was still upstairs and Jihoon. He could play with them while Baekhyun's eyes were locked with the movie. He stood up and headed for the stairs noticing his room opened widely and a couple of whispers and shushing coming from his room. Of course Chanyeol went in, and scared the crap of those kids who screamed their lungs out, causing everyone to jerk to their feet and rush to their room. With the tall man's breath hitching, he gave Chanyeol a dirty look before walking out slightly drowsy. Kyungsoo and Jongin shook their heads and headed to the other boy's room. Closing doors and locking it afterwards. Baekhyun sat on his bed and laid back.

"Sorry if I woke you guys up," Chanyeol managed to say after quietly closing drawers. Yejun looked through his sketchbooks while Jihoon went through his polaroid collections with Baekhyun who cuddled with Jihoon on Chanyeol's bed. Chanyeol sat next to Baekhyun with Yejun on his lap, bouncing the child playfully.

"It's fine, I wasn't even sleepy."

They stayed like this for another 20 minutes before Kris announced their leave with Yejun sleeping in his arms and holding Jihoon's small hands gently. Kyungsoo walked out with dark circles around his eyes with a bookbag slung over his shoulder. Jongin walked out right after him and lazily put on his sweater. Kyungsoo greeted the boys goodbye, leaving him and Baekhyun alone for the next 3 minutes. Jongin went to take Kyungsoo home, so he figured to bring the other boy home who went out and retrieved his things from the car.

"I want to take you home, "Chanyeol insisted, carrying Baekhyun's things. He was a bit curious to where Baekhyun lived so it would be a pretty good idea to know where he actually stayed in other than the center.

Baekhyun chuckled and pointed next to the house where he currently lived, "I live right next to you surprisingly."

Chanyeol's lips shaped into an 'o' before walking him to the door with his cheeks hot and red. They bid goodnight before agreeing to meet each other by the window and talk through there. It was a good deal since his phone was pretty much destroyed from this morning and his curiosity about the owner of the curtain and window in front of his has finally been revealed.

Chanyeol went back into the empty house and turned the t.v off and picked up pillows scattered on the floors. At the same time he threw away excessive garbage and washed dishes stacked on the sink. After that, he took a nice warm shower and before doing anything else he opened the his window and threw a couple pebbles over to Baekhyun's window. The light suddenly flickered open, soon a clicking noise, Baekhyun's window opens. Chanyeol grinned, "You took a shower too I see!"

Baekhyun leaned on the window sill, "Look there's a tree in the middle of our windows, I could climb over there when I feel lonely."

Chanyeol smiled again before rubbing the locks of his hair dry, "That's a good idea."

They talked hours later only to realize Baekhyun fast asleep, head dangling from his arms embrace. Chanyeol wanted to try and climb over the trees and into Baekhyun's house. Which it worked perfectly fine and since they were both light, the tree's branches wouldn't snap on them along the way. The taller boy smiled more widely as he carried Baekhyun back to his bed and tucked him nicely on the bed, leaving a soft peck on his cheek before leaving embarrassedly out the window. He shut the lights and window before climbing out like an idiot, bumping his head on the the window, leaving him scowling at the pain. Baekhyun's eyes pop open and grinned cheekily before turning over and closing his eyes.

Chanyeol cursed at himself and tossed and turned to the side with his palms pressing on his eyes, "Chanyeol you're such an idiot!