9. The Boy Named Zitao

Pink Balloons

"Chanyeol? Chanyeol!" The boy knocked frantically on the other boy's window, afraid he'd lose his balance on the sturdy tree branch that might have been about seven to ten feet off the ground. He shuddered at the thought of the branch snapping and leading him to enjoy the holdiays with a couple broken bones. 

Chanyeol scrambles to the window and stares wide eyed at Baekhyun who smiled meekly and quickly changing expressions to a frantic boy waving his arms in circular motions. Snapping the locks off in a flash he pulled the boy to his arms without a second thought. Chanyeol slumped and leaned on the crook of Baekhyun's shoulder. Unconsioucly making such an intimate gesture after the incident at the town outing two says ago. Baekhyun stuttered and slowly raised his hands to his back, rubbing soothingly. 

A sudden struck of realization caused Chanyeol to pull back, face red and mouth shut tightly, lips white. "Sorry." 

Baekhyun stared. "I should say sorry." 

Chanyeol nodded and let himself fall on his bed, pulling the covers to his face to hide his flustered expression. They stayed silent for a while. It's been two days trapped in this room and two days without sparing a glance at the boy who is in front of him. Cheeks and nose red from the freezing tempurature outside. Chanyeol opened his eyes again and pulled the covers off his face. Baekhyun was still standing in front of him with his hands behind his back. Baekhyun scratched his head and played with his freshly dyed brown caramel hair. 

"What got you here?" Chanyeol asked trying to keep his tone light. 

Baekhyun jumped from Chanyeol's scratchy morning voice and stumbled on his words. "Oh. I'm--I'm just here to make it up to you."

Chanyeol sighed deeply. Still tired, he thought, still tired. "Make it up to me?" Chanyeol repeated. He chewed on the side of his cheek and stared up the ceiling avoiding the pout forming on Baekhyun's pink lips. "Why are you wearing cardigens outside? It's too cold."

Baekhyun shrugged. "You were only 4 steps away from me. What's the point of wearing something fluffy?"

He agreed by that and at the same time he didn't think it was a good idea. He brushed his hair aside and sat back up, yawning in return. Baekhyun still stood and swayed from side to side. "Chanyeol I---"

"Let's not talk about this Baek." Chanyeol snapped and massaged his temple closing his eyes for a moment. Baekhyun flinched and averted his eyes from the flustered boy. Chanyeol's features softened and frowned. "Sorry I didn't mean to sound angry."

Baekhyun flashed a weak smile. "It's okay."

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun's face, admiring the rosy cheeks and bright eyes that glowed brightly to his eyes. He wanted trace his fingers on Baekhyun's features, cup his fragile face, let his arms curl around his waist. He wanted to kiss him on the spot. Kiss the frown away. Sadly, that can't happen unless Baekhyun returns the feelings back. He's not giving up and somehow he's holding on to that delusional sight of him and Baekhyun being happy toghether with golden rings around their fingers. He shakes his head and sighs, he can't understand why he loves him for no apparent reason. 

Jongin wasn't home as he said he was going back to the practice room with Sehun so they can get back home for the holidays as soon as possible. He didn't want to waste anymore time and he figured might as well spend a day with this pup. He grabbed his hand and dashed down the stairs, leading Baekhyun to the kitchen and sat him on a chair. Baekhyun blinked and let himself be led. 

"What would you like to eat?" Chanyeol asked. He didn't look back to see Baekhyun's face twist in a confusion. "I know you didn't eat."

Baekhyun frowned and looked at his tummy, placing both his hands on it, hearing a slight rumble. He laughed softly. "Maybe I should do the cooking?"

Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a quick glance and shut the cabinet, Sitting himself down. "Maybe you should. I'm not really the best cook." He smiled brightly at Baekhyun. Perhaps he was being too pathetic and he was belittling himself too much. He wanted to patch up their friendship and maybe somehow the currents might change. 

Baekhyun smiled and reached for the apron that hung near the back door. Chanyeol stood and walked briskly to the washroom to get himself washed for the day. Baekhyun was already clean and fresh and he didn't want to look disgusting on a morning like this.

The snow fluttered down slowly and peacefully and the wind was gentle. Baekhyun sighed and cracked the eggs on the batter, mixing it diligently on the mixing bowl with a whisk. He hadn't notice Chanyeol left the kitchen and began talking to himself. "You know Chanyeol." He smiled to himself and poured a teaspoon of sugar on the mixture. "I think I can return the feelings for you."

He waited awkwardly for a response but, just sighed wondering if the other boy had his earbuds stuck in his ears, blasting music. He slowly turned hopefully he didn't just wasted his breath on saying 'return the feelings', which sadly he did. All the petite boy was able to do was shake his head and disappointedly scooped a reasonable amount of batter onto a circular non-stickable pan, raising the heat quite high for it to cook quickly. 

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol suddenly called his name. "Baekhyun!"

"Yes Channie."

Chanyeol was a bit taken back with the nickname but, continued on. "I didn't know you guys had festivals!" 

Baekhyun giggled. "Well, yes we do. It's annual and it's usually held on the 24th, which is tomorrow." 

Chanyeol nodded. "Sounds fun. We should go!"

Baekhyun flipped the cooked side of the batter. "We are. With the group and the kids. It's going to be fun like always."


Chanyeol looked over Baekhyun's shoulder and his lips, mouth watering. "What's that?"

"It's American Pancake. It's sweet and has a nice smell to it." 

The taller boy nodded and set both plates on the table, luckily they had plastic forks stored in drawers and they didn't have to eat it with their chopsticks awkwardly. Humming quietly they ate their breakfast peacefully and stared out the window for entertainment. Chanyeol wanted to indicate the first conversation this time. 

"How's your friend in China? Zitao right?"

Baekhyun paused and nodded slowly, sipping his glass of water. "He's fine. He's coming here for the holidays." Baekhyun piped up, sounding more exited than his reaction with the 'Two Moons Festival'. "I have to pick him up during midnight, since his plane arrival is late."

Chanyeol lips shaped into an 'o' and nodded. "I want to come along. I wouldn't want you to go by yourself. It's midnight."

Baekhyun grinned. "I might be bothering you. It's going to be late."

The taller boy laughed and waved his hand to dismiss Baekhyun's worries. "It's fine. Plus, I want to know how this Zitao guy is. He sounds really special to you." He sounded genuine enough and deep inside he didn't seem to envy Baekhyun's relationship with Zitao. 

"Oh he is. Very special. I think you guys will get along well."

"I hope so." Chanyeol mumbled and gathered up the dishes. The sink was full and the older boy seemed ready enough to wash the dishes with him, he didn't bother to even put the washing gloves on. Chanyeol didn't either- he too, thought the gloves were in the way of their chores. The plates clattered and the sound of their laughter can be heard across the streets. They smiled and slowly spoke like nothing happened and all that happened that night was just a simple and quick rejection of truth. Chanyeol thought it was something he needed to remember, as a lesson of life. Something valuble. Something that made their bond somehow stronger. 

 They spent a couple hours playing board games but, soon ended up outside walking side by side to enjoy the new winter view. The day care center was left closed for the holidays. Chanyeol shoved his large hands deeper into his pocket and buried his face deeper into his dark colored scarf. Baekhyun seemed to noticed his uneasy gestures and moved a little closer to the giant. Puzzled by his sudden gesture he stiffened and made an awkward gurgle noise. It wasnt the sound of disapproval but, neither an approval. Baekhyun made cautious steps. 

He swallowed hard. "Chanyeol." It sounded like a ghostly whisper.

Chanyeol flinched. "Yes?"

His lips parted for a while and his features bacame contorted into deep thought. "I just want to say... I-I.." 

Those three words he thought about for two days wouldn't tumble out of his mouth. Those words are on the tip of his tongue yet his mind is telling him 'dont do it'. He could hear Luhan's voice in his mind, refusing to believe that he is in love with Zitao and not Chanyeol. He could hear his friend saying the words that he couldnt believe. He is in love with the man right next to him. 

Chanyeol grinned. "You're sorry? It's okay." 

No, Baekhyun quietly whispered in his mind, I'm not sorry.

Chanyeol tried to read the reaction he recieved from the stressed boy. He continued. "Look Baek, I know youre not in love with me. Just give me time to think."

Baekhyun looked up. Chanyeol breathed. "I know you're in love with Zitao."

No! No! Chanyeol you got it all wrong! Baekhyun screamed internally. He wondered why didn't he just grab the man by the collar and shake him violently while yelling hysterically saying "No! I'm in love with you! You Chanyeol not Zitao." Sadly he stared horrified at the younger's oblivious response. "Why..how?"

They stopped walking and stood stiffly next to each other. Chanyeol had been annoyed with the unpleasant quietness lately and he wished for some distraction to come up. He wished for Jongin to be here and even Jongdae; that annoying good for nothing friend. The thought of being alone, he regretted it. He mustered up the courage to look as encouraging as possible. "Well I can see the way your eyes light up when you hear his name or the way your lips tugged into a wide smile when you read a text. It's really hard to miss. I should know since I see Jongin lovesick with Kyungsoo." 

Baekhyun couldnt think of the right words to say. "Chanyeol I-"

He was cut off again. "But, that doesn't mean I can't love you right? Baekhyun I don't want to make it any harder for you. I just want to say. I love you."

He broke in the inside and his stomach churned. He didn't feel like a school girl who felt butterflies in her stomach. His heart pounded on his chest and he felt hot. Despite the freezing temperature he felt like the urge to melt. However the way the giant cut off his sentence gave him the sense that Chanyeol feared the rejection. 

He wanted to say the same thing but, in his mind he questions himself whether or not he does love him. He should believe it after what Luhan said to him. After the phone call with Zitao, Luhan crossed his arms and he frowned at the sight.

 

"Tao?" He rolled the word around his tongue. The name was unfamiliar and so foreign that he couldn't process what he heard properly.

The boy with the blonde hair nodded and threw his phone carelessly to the side. "He's my step brother. Ever since my parents disappeared the Huang family took care of me."

The deer like boy listened. Though there was doubt written over his feminine face. Baekhyun squirmed uncomfortably at the sight and sipped on the cold cocoa. "Don't tell me you're in love with Zitao."

His name seem to roll perfectly on his tongue. Since he was Chinese himself he could have pronounce his name better than he could. Baekhyun stiffened. "I love him but, I also love Chanyeol."

Luhan cracked a lopsided grin. "You can't love two people at once Baekhyun."

It was true. He can't just love two people at once. Never in ones lifetime can they. It's either that person or the other. Baekhyun buried his face into his small trembling hands. What was it that was bothering him. "I know."

"Baekhyun. Explain."

The time struck eleven and by now Sehun should be on his way dragging his beloved lover out of his house. "I dont know if it's right."

"I don't understand a thing you're saying." He deadpanned.

"What I'm saying is that me and Tao have the 'mutual interest' you say, already. I can't just let go of that just because of Chanyeol." 

Baffled, Luhan groaned. "Oh my god Baekhyun. You didn't at least give us a clue you are in a relationship and the poor guy is over there mourning for his rejection."

Baekhyun fiddled with his nimble fingers. "I'm not in an official relationship. I promised to wait for him when he comes back."

Luhan waved his hands hysterically. "Wait a minute." He paused and massaged his temple. "You were already in love with Zitao...and you guys were planning to get official when he returns to Korea. But, the problem is you are slowly falling for that idiotic neighbor?"

The blonde boy wasn't sure to agree to his understanding of everything but, nodded anyway.The doe eyed boy looked intently into his small brown orbs and pouted. 

"You don't love Zitao. Anymore." He tagged in the 'anymore' as if he'd forgotten they had a relationship. 

Baekhyun blinked. "Wha-" 

"You wouldn't have fell in love again if you were truly in love with him."

Baekhyun was lost and he felt the stable world he had was slowly crumbling apart. He cursed Luhan in his mind before the other boy's phone rung violently on the coffee table and it distracted the tense atmosphere from building up more. The name of Luhan's boyfriend popped up on the screen.

"Hello?" Luhan set the phone on speaker. 

"Luhan, hon. Where are you?" His voice was scratchy and he sounded like he just woke up to an empty bed.

"I'm in Baek's house. He needed help with some things."

There was a silent paused between the conversation before Sehun began nagging through the phone. "You little...why didn't you wake me up so I can actually drop you off?"

Luhsn chuckled. "Well...you were sleeping. And I can handle myself. Don't worry about me. I can beat them up because I'm a man."

He snorted. "Man my ."

Baekhyun smiled at their endearing conversation and indeed he kept what Luhan had said (before the phone call) in mind. All he needed was two days to think. Just two days to figure his feelings out. 

 

Baekhyun just stared at Chanyeol whose eyes darted from one thing to another. What can the poor giant do? He could only keep himself up for so much. He can't keep going on like this. Was this just out of pity? Though at this very moment he had to say those three words. Not "I am sorry" but, the "I love you." But, Tao has been pulling him away, hindering him from loving a new person. How could he have been so oblivious with Tao's indirect conffesion. During Chanyeol's birthday he called to say he's returning to Korea following another indirect message. "You'll find the right person."

Before the Christmas party happened, days ago Zitao had made a confession about his feelings. Jongin happen to find out on that same day. Confused Baekhyun ignored his feelings for Chanyeol and straight at Zitao. You can say he was afraid of falling in love with a stranger he'd only know for five months where as Zitao in years. Was it wrong to accept and promise to wait for his arrival?

Baekhyun shrugged and walked pass Chanyeol. Hopping from one stone to another. Chanyeol scrambled after the petite boy and sighed disappointedly at the stressing scene. Even he was confuse.

 Should he be chasing affer some boy who loved someone else?
 

Baekhyun gave up on trying to say the word that he has been itching to let out. He knows there's a right moment for everything. Love is precise- one move on the wrong timing can destroy a blooming relationship. Time, he thought, more time. Chanyeol examined the dazed boy and seemed to be slowly intoxicated by him every minute. Gulping quietly to himself he kept a safe distance behind the boy to keep himself from pulling him, lips crashing against each other.

Again, Chanyeol cursed at the unpleasantness of the quiet and cleared his throat-loosening the scarf. "So Baekhyun."

Baekhyun turned, out of his trance.

Chanyeol continued. "Want to go in town and get some hot cocoa?"

A smile twitched from his thin pink lips and stretched from eye to eye. "I'd love to."

The giant grinned and sighed in relief, clutching on his chest. "I'll pay for treat and bus ride-don't argue- and while we're walking this way, why don't we stop by Kris and the children?"

He nodded enthusiastically and smiled even wider. His cheeks began to hurt but, he didn't care. "I'd love that too."

"Great it's a deal."

 

"You know what Kris you need to get someone in your life to make you happier."

Jongdae was there and for some reason God has actually heard Chanyeol's prayers. He snickered at Jongdae's mocking advice but, there was a bit of concern in his voice. When was Jongdae ever concern? Never. Junmyeon doesn't know why he takes two s for this man. 

"What?" Kris snapped. "I'm happy!"

Jongdae smirked and pulled his feet on top of the table. "Happy? , if looks can kill I'd be dead over a 100 times every time I see you."

Kris narrowed his eyes. "Feet off the table- and stop mocking me!" 

Jongdae shrugged and let his foot fall down the table's surface. "Seriously."

The man snarled at the teasing troll but, backed down. "Ever since MinJi found out I was gay, she divorced me. She just ditched me with the kids."

"You had it tough." He side eyed Kris who paled at the memory. "You're bi. So what. Most of your friends are either bi or gay. What's there to be embarrassed of? This neighborhood is homophobic free. The kids don't mind."

He snorted. "Well aren't you helpful and caring today."

Jongdae grinned. "I can be caring when I want to. Not often I do this to Junmyeon. You should be honored and grateful."

"You enjoy people's pain."

There was another snicker behind their conversation. Heads whipped to the direction of a snickering Chanyeol with a smiling Baekhyun. The two kids seemed to be apologetic for letting them in secretly but, Yoojin didn't seem so sorry as Jihoon. Kris lips parted and his brow furrowed into a knot. 

"How long have you been there?" Kris voice cracked and Jongdae held in a loud laugh.

Chanyeol snorted. "Since I heard all of it. You shouldn't let the kids open the door like that."

Baekhyun peeked down at the smiling kids who seemed to be extremely happy to see them. Chanyeol breathed. "And Jongdae's here I see."

"Yep. You prayed for me to come didn't you."

Chanyeol froze but, slacken his shoulders. "Not in a million years."

Kris leaned on the chair and massaged his temple. "I'm going to kill you all when I get the chance."

"You're kids love us though." Jongdae cooed and wiggle his finger to air tickle the angry man. Kris slapped the bony finger away and stomped to the kitchen. 

"You want anything?"

Jongdae yelled. "Cook me something like an omelet would be nice."

" off." He hissed. Baekhyun and Chanyeol plugged the children's ears so they wouldn't listen to the profanity slipping through these people. "I'm asking them and not you. And Chanyeol, Baekhyun why don't you come in and take a seat and at the same time why don't you strangle me before I strangle this son of a ."

Chanyeol chuckled. "I'd like to strangle him for you but, me and Baekhyun are going to town to get some coffee ourselves. Kris you don't make good coffee."

Jihoon tugged on the hem of Chanyeol's jacket. "You're leaving?"

Yejun seemed to look disappointed and played with Baekhyun's slender fingers. "I don't want to be with troll man."

Jongdae laughed and Kris seemed to lose his temper by banging his head in the counter top. "The kids love me I swear!" He took a glance at Kris. "Rejected again? Must of hurt!"

"Shut the up!" He growled and pulled out a butcher knife. He didn't care if his kids were there and he didn't care if he'd go to jail. He wanted to skin him alive or maybe chop his Jongdae jr. into little bits.

Chanyeol walked back and pulled Baekhyun along. "Thanks for the offer!" He nervously called and watch the man twitch. "And.." He glanced at Jongdae who seemed to be laughing harder. "Good luck Jongdae!" 

He cringed at the screaming man behind the doors but he knew they were fine after the kids started laughing loudly. Baekhyun smiled and slowly turn away from the door and Chanyeol took his hand and stuffed it into his pockets. Surprised Baekhyun thought of pulling away but he didn't. 

"Let's go to the bus stop yeah?" His voice was gentle and warm. Baekhyun nodded, the words stuck in his throat. 

"Yeah." He Sounded thick. "Let's go."

They waited for another couple minutes before the bus arrived to their stop and sadly the bus was full of people who were going to the cities where the malls were open and the sales were 50% off on most items. Baekhyun gulped and his legs ached. So did Chanyeol but, they endured through the ride. 

They were the first to get off and they felt the awkward atmosphere again when they saw the little table outside of the mini mart they went to two days ago. Chanyeol went ahead of Baekhyun to buy some coffee and hot cocoa to warm them up for the snowy day. The time slowly struck three and for some reason, Chanyeol wanted the day to end already. 

"Aren't you excited to see him again?"

Baekhyun was startled by his booming voice but relaxed and sipped on the hot cocoa slowly. "Yes. It's been three years."

Chanyeol nodded and let his coffee sit there. The smoke swirling in the cold air. "Isn't he your step brother?" He's been thinking about it for a while. He felt strange that he feel in love with a step brother. They weren't blood related but, he couldn't understand the concept that well. 

"Yes and no." Baekhyun started to explain. "They never adopted me but, the family took me in as their own son."

"Where are your parents?" Chanyeol cringed and cursed himself for bringing up the sensitive topic but, watch Baekhyun's expression stay the same.

The petite boy shrugged. "I don't know. I think they went after the money they've been talking about."

Chanyeol sighed in relief. Suddenly Baekhyun spoke again. "Now enough about me. What about you? I know nothing about you. Except you're a photographer and a big troublemaker in the cities. I don't see you as someone who makes a lot of trouble."

Chanyeol leaned back and smiled and the nostalgic memory. "Well I did make a lot of trouble. Not anymore though. I don't want to be childish but, usually I think like a child and become unreasonable and stubborn."

Baekhyun smiled and agreed. He nodded for Chanyeol to continue. "My mom, she's in the States and my father. He died a couple years ago in a car accident." 

"When did that happen?" He suddenly felt curious. 

"On May 6, 2008."

Baekhyun's eyes sparked. "That's when my parents disappeared."

"Well we lost important people on that day. Unlucky."

"That's my birthday."

Chanyeol stopped and turned worriedly at the boy who didn't look so affected like his did last month. "Oh." He was so insensitive.

The older boy smiled and patted Chanyeol on the chest. "Hey, it's fine! You didn't know and I know you didn't mean it. And I'm sorry with your loss."

He sounded sincere so Chanyeol didn't worry. He watched his coffee become cold and he hadn't touched it since they came.


"Baekhyun please calm down", Chanyeol pleaded before setting a backpack down. 

Swarms of people came in and out and the flight attendance came before them with their suitcases trailing after them. Baekhyun tippy toed up to see above the crowds of people, hoping to see the person he desperately wants to see the most. Chanyeol grinned. 

"If you were smaller I would put you on my shoulders." 

Baekhyun hit his arm, "You're just making fun of me."

"Sorry to be born tall."

"Sorry to be born short!" He retorted back at the giant and titled his head back up. Eyes darting at one place to another. Chanyeol sighed and shoved his hands in his pockets, cheeks puffed with exhaustion. 

"Are you sure he comes now?"

Baekhyun nodded with both of his pumped in the air, "Yes, and I think I see him!"

Chanyeol couldn't help but dart his head at the direction of the finger that pointed to a tall slender man with dark raven hair and sun glasses that sat on his nose. Baekhyun dropped the bags and ran to the man who seemed to smile so big and embrace him in a tight hug. The giant couldn't see that far and he'd forgotten his glasses at the house when Baekhyun rushed for him to get up and come with him to the airport. It was a long drive an they'd borrowed Kyungsoo's car. They had to persuade him and promise the squishy satan they'd bring his car back in one piece. 

He stuck to his spot and waited for the two of them to come to him. He blinked and saw the excited boy and his eyes trailed to their locked fingers that entwine together. His eyes trailed back up at Baekhyun and smiled at the man that was supposedly called Zitao. 

"Chanyeol! This is Zitao!" Chanyeol grinned. He hadn't heard Baekhyun this happy. 

Zitao grinned and put his hand out. "I'm Zitao, you can call me Tao."

Chanyeol shook his hand. "Chanyeol."

The grip tighten and there was a bit of a tension between them but, Baekhyin hadn't noticed. 

Zitao removed the glasses and revealing his intimidating gaze. Chanyeol noticed the dark bags under his eyes. Zitao chuckled. "These", he pointed, "are natural."

His korean was accented but, still fluent. "Oh. Sorry."

Baekhyun stood between the two towers. "Oh my God Tao! You've grown so much and your akin has gotten darker!"

Chanyeol hadn't thought Tao to look this way. He'd imagine him something Baekhyun would have fell for. Someone with eyes that twinkled with warmth and softness. A voice calming with full of protection. And hands gentle like a feather's touch. Tao was fierce. He didn't think they matched but, it was too early to judge. 

Tao turned to Chanyeol and squeezed the petite boy's hand. "I heard you are a kind man. I'm looking forward for your approval of my stay."

Chanyeol smiled. "Of course." 

 

---------

A/n: yeah guys I'm back. The problem is that I'm writing this chapter on my phone and I'm having great difficulty on writing. So I tried to write here. If it looks strange I'll fix it later.. No internet and my phone is the only source I have. An I gave you a pretty long update for today. I'd love to see some comments from silent readers~