Chapter 4

Sins

“What do you want Belphegor?” The Sloth – or better known by his human name, Sungjong – groaned at his Demon slave.

“What makes you think I want something huh, master?” The demon slave replied. The demon smirked as he watched his master stare at Acedia.

Sungjong took his eyes off his pet snail and stared back at his servant in disinterest. “Let’s not play games here, Bel. What made you leave your bed of silks and venture into the human world?” Belphegore let out a series of chuckles and walked closer to the bed where his master lay.

“There has been some commotion going down there for some time now. I just wanted to go out and take a fresh air.” Sungjong rolled to the other side of the bed with a groan – after making sure that his pet won’t get squished and Belphegor gratefully laid down on the space Sungjong provided for him in his king sized bed.

“Excuse me for intruding but I noticed you and Gluttony haven’t been together lately," Belphegor said. Sungjong opened his eyes reluctantly and felt anger flow in his body once again, forgetting all thoughts of going back to sleep.

“It’s none of your business damn slave. And we’ve talked about this – refrain from calling us with our titles.” Sungjong glared at his servant and Belphegor closed his eyes as he smiled widely, not in disobedience but as a sign he understood and has taken note of his master’s anger. Sungjong huffed in content and laid back down on his back, taking Acedia off the bed and placed it on his chest.

“What do you think about the relationship between Howon and Dongwoo?” Sungjong asked after a moment of silence. Belphegor blinked his eyes and looked sideways to his master – who was also looking at him, waiting for his answer. He opened his mouth before closing it back again, obviously rethinking it but came on a decision after seeing the expectant look his master was giving him.

“Do you want my honest opinion?” Sungjong rolled his eyes at the stupidity of his slave before looking back at Acedia – who now made progress and was slowly slithering along Sungjong’s tummy. He smiled warmly at his pet snail and brought him back to his chest.

“Why do you think I’m asking you if I didn’t want your real opinion?” Sungjong asked with a small glare directed at Belphegor.
The slave smirked again before nodding. His eyes stared at the ceiling after a few seconds; his smirk now gone and a mask of seriousness replaced it. It was a very rare sight for Sloth's happy-go-lucky demon slave.

“I personally think that the Greed – I mean Howon, is trouble. He just has this certain glint in his eyes whenever he looks at Dongwoo. And I’m telling you, it’s far from how he looks at Sungyeol.”

Sungjong pondered this for a while before looking back at his slave. “What kind of look are you talking about?” Sungjong pretty damn knew what look his slave was talking about but a part of him refused to acknowledge anything unless it has been confirmed. It’s the ing human part of him that likes to ignore everything and go on in his own little world.

But he should know better, he was a sin after all and no one knew how the world works more than them.

Belphegor chuckled mockingly at his master. Really, this was the reason why he avoided love too much; it mase you stupid and could easily bring down the greatest of all people. “You know yourself what look I’m talking about, so let’s spare each other the games and accept the fact that someone who has a high probability of stealing your Dino is interested in him. If I were you, I’ll be thinking up of ways right now to get rid of the problem.”

Sungjong glared hard at him and hissed in contempt. “Don’t you dare tell me what to do you insolent slave! I know perfectly what I’m getting into and I don’t need your unnecessary nagging. And you better watch your tone Bel, I’m still your master.” Sungjong’s soft brown eyes turned cold blue in color – making it clear to Belphegor he has crossed the line.

Belphegor gulped loudly before hastily standing up and bowing low in front of Sungjong. “I’m really sorry master, I didn’t realize I have crossed the line.

Sungjong closed his eyes and massaged his temples, trying to clam himself slowly. He only calmed down completely when he saw his pet now gliding along the smooth expanse of his bare legs that wasn’t covered by his flimsy shorts.

“It’s fine, as long as it won’t be repeated again.” Belphegor nodded and stood fully, wanting to return lying down but is still cautious about his master’s temper.

“And besides,” Sungjong started and looked towards his glass windows, staring at the great expanse of their mansion’s beautiful gardens. “I already knew the repercussions when I started tampering with the scroll. I just can’t really accept the fact that out of all of us, I’ll be the only one who has no partner.” Belphegor closed his eyes and tried the waters again.

“But if you think about it, the scroll is right in picking for you to be the only one without a partner. Because you're sloth and you can’t take care of your partner no matter how hard you try.” Sungjong sighed dejected and stared back at Belphegor.

“I know… I guess it was just my wishful thinking that at least someone would like me. But now I’m definitely regretting it, because no matter what happens, the original partners have found a way back to each other. And I’ll be left alone.” Sungjong took Acedia off his foot and planted him softly back into the bed before lying down and curling into a ball.

Belphegor wanted to feel bad for his master and maybe sympathize with him but he can’t; unlike the sins, who were somewhat humans and could feel certain amounts of emotions, their demon slaves were nothing but a waste existence that have no other obligation but to heed to all the sins' will. They don’t have any emotions and were literally heartless. (If you opened their chest – Howon once did it because of his greed for that knowledge – you would see nothing but a black hole in where the heart is supposed to be.)

Before Belphegor can say or do anything, an ominous feeling loomed past the earth and as fast as it arrived, it also left.

Sungjong's strained up form lying and sat straightly in his bed, wide surprised eyes seeking his servant’s ones and saw the same expression on them.

“You felt that?” Sungjong breathlessly asked. Belphegor nodded stiffly and looked out towards the sky from the windows.

“Something’s happening,” Belphegore only said. Sungjong silently agreed with his servant as a very unsettling feeling settled within inside him.

“Belphegor,” Sungjong called out. His servant looked at him and was greeted by his cold blue eyes hard with determination. “I want you to go back to hell and investigate for me. Report back to me if you find anything that might relate to anything and also warn the other demons.” Belphegor nodded and a blue mist surrounded him before he disappeared completely, leaving Sungjong with his silent solitude.

“What the hell’s going on?” Sungjong muttered to himself as he started back again on the clear blue sky that earlier turned into a very scary blood red for a few seconds.


A/N: this chapter was supposed to be out much earlier together with my trailer (BTW if you haven’t watched it then you better do, it’s really amazing. It's in the foreword.) But the trailer was released a day after I updated the Yadong chapter so yeah… I’m just updating this now *^^*

Also, have you seen the teaser for Woohyun’s and Key’s colab? I swear Woohyun was so adorable there XD

Thanks for rumourhasit12 for editing~ *^^*