Pride? What Pride?

Mr. Perfect
Chapter 6: Pride? What Pride?

-The next day-

“Calm down, class,” Ms. Jung cleared as she entered the classroom. Everyone quieted down immediately, an act that Myungsoo found somewhat strange. Since when did students listen to their teacher so well? But his answer came a fraction of a second later, as he saw a tall white blue-eyed blond girl enter the classroom.

“This is a new addition to our class,” Ms. Jung pointed at the foreign girl and looked at her nameplate. “Eh, her name is… Bi-keu-tto-ri-ae.”

“Viktorie,” the girl corrected Ms. Jung’s weird pronunciation with a weak smile.

“Oh, Viktorie,” Ms. Jung smiled back widely. Myungsoo wished he could unsee that sight. “Anyway, Viktorie comes all the way from Europe! Was it Bulgaria…?”

“Czech Republic,” the girl corrected the teacher and turned to the classroom. “Eet eez an ‘onour too bee ‘eer viz yoo-”

“What the hell is she saying?” Taemin whispered to Myungsoo from across the aisle as Viktorie continued her heavily accented speech.

“She’s saying that’s it’s an honor to be here with us,” Myungsoo translated absentmindedly. “And that she’s been really looking forward to coming here.”

The collective “oh” from the class told Myungsoo that he probably said it louder that he intended to. Ms. Jung, however, didn’t seem to be upset at his interruption at all—on the contrary, she was beaming brightly. “This is perfect! Why don’t you show her around during the break then, Myungsoo? Since you seem to understand her better than the rest of us?”

“Su-sure,” Myungsoo stuttered.

“Then, Viktorie, go and sit down at that empty seat over there,” Ms. Jung told the girl, who nodded and headed to her desk.

“Alright, I have an announcement to make,” Ms. Jung clapped her hands. “SBS wants to make a program that documents the rise to fame of some of the hottest celebrities. As you know, our Sungjong is one of the top idols out there right now, so they want thirty of us to come and participate on the show.”

The class erupted in cheers at her words. Ms. Jung waited for them to calm down and continued. “The problem is that the filming takes place on Jeju-do. Now, our school and SBS together will be able to cover the cost of airfare and accommodation, but we’re short on food and bus fare. So we’ll need to collect about 70,000 won from each of you.”

Myungsoo groaned on the inside. The teacher wasn’t asking for that much money, but he didn’t have it. Under normal circumstances, his sister would just pay it for him without blinking, but she was still very mad at him, so he doubted she’d help him. But it wouldn’t hurt to try.

The moment the class ended, Myungsoo pulled out his cell phone and dialed his sister’s number. After a while, Kyungran picked up. “What do you want?”

She sounded somewhat irritated. But he had to try. “Um, noona, we’re going on a trip to Jeju-do, but I need 70,000 won…”

“What part of ‘no pocket money’ did you not understand?” she barked at him.

“It’s just 70,000 won!” Myungsoo exclaimed.

“Too bad,” she replied. “Don’t call me about this anymore, or I’ll ground you for another month!”

With that, she hung up on him. He should have known that it would end like that. But now what? How was he going to get the money?

“Eexcusuh mee?” someone said. Myungsoo looked up and saw the foreign girl standing in front of him. “Uh, ze teacher said zat yoo vud shou mee eraund ‘eer.”

“Oh, yeah, sure,” Myungsoo blinked. “Well, let’s go then.”

Myungsoo showed Viktorie what he managed to learn the previous day. He showed her the gym, the cafeteria, the snack bar, and where their classes were. “And here is where our music classes are.”

“Oh, zank yoo!” she beamed at her brightly. “Musím ale uznat že je fakt k nakousnutí!”

“What did you say?” Myungsoo blinked in confusion.

“Oh, nozing!” Viktorie shook her head vigorously. “Soo, vat aar yoo dooing toodey?”

“I need to find a way to make some money,” Myungsoo sighed. “I really want to go to Jeju-do, but I don’t have the money to pay.”

“Soo yoor luhking for a small jop?” she asked. “Yoo knou, Sungjong-oppa iz alsou luhking for sumbohdie too pley his friend on TV! And hee said hee vud pey on handrid tausend won!”

“Really?” Myungsoo raised an eyebrow at that. “Just for a TV show?”

“Hee said zat all Fedora membuhrs vud bee zere too!” Viktorie nodded enthusiastically. “Meybee yoo vont to ask heem?”

Myungsoo thought about it for a minute. It was apparent that Sungjong didn’t really like him. And Myungsoo quite honestly didn’t like Sungjong that much, either. But one TV filming for 100,000 won? And getting to meet all other Fedora members as well?

“Alright, I guess it couldn’t hurt to just ask,” Myungsoo shrugged, trying to sound as indifferent as he could.

“Gud luck!” Viktorie patted him on the shoulder. “Škoda, nemá moc svalů.”

“Did you say something?”

“Nozing!” she chuckled. “I vill cee yoo later!”

With that, Viktorie skipped away. Myungsoo stood still for several moments, considering his options. He could try to find a different job, but the chances of finding one that would pay him 70,000 won so soon was very slim. And if he asked Sungjong, he could get a chance to talk to Hoya! But would Sungjong agree to it? They didn’t like each other; there was no reason for Sungjong to pick him. There sure were many others that would go to the show, just for a chance to appear on TV.

But he had to try. At least, he wouldn’t regret missing the chance to meet Hoya later, right? With that determination, Myungsoo headed back to the classroom. Sungjong was sitting on his chair, his legs crossed on top of the desk. In his hands, he held a magazine, but it didn’t look like he was actively reading it. The moment his eyes laid on Myungsoo, he let out an exaggerated snort.

“Do you have a minute?” Myungsoo asked, avoiding direct eye contact.

“Why?” Sungjong pursed his lips.

“I heard that you’re looking for someone to go on a TV show with you,” Myungsoo began.

“And?” Sungjong raised an eyebrow.

“And…” It was much harder to say that Myungsoo had originally thought. “… And I was wondering, have you found someone yet?”

“I’m still thinking about it,” Sungjong replied with a shrug. “Why? Do you want to do it?”

“No, of course-” Myungsoo stopped himself. He needed to do this. “Well, if you can’t find anyone, I thought that maybe…”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Sungjong rolled his eyes. “There are more than enough people for me to choose. And why would I choose you of all people? We’ve just met yesterday! And it’s not like we even get along well…”

“Well, I didn’t want to do it either!” Myungsoo lied, his anger level rising. “I just wanted to be nice and offer you help! But if you already found someone, then just forget I ever said something!”

With that he turned around and was about to head back to his desk, but Sungjong’s snicker stopped him in his track.

“Hey, pretty boy,” Sungjong called after him with a subdued laugh. “I changed my mind. You can go with me if you want to.”

No, Myungsoo knew he should definitely not agree to it. That would be like the lowest blow he could get. He wouldn’t lower himself in front of Sungjong like that. Just for stupid 100,000 won, he wouldn’t throw away his pride… But Hoya… A chance to sit next to Hoya and talk to him… And maybe even get to know him in person backstage… Hoya… Pride? What Pride?

“When’s the recording?” Myungsoo gulped.

“Today after school,” Sungjong sneered.


Author's Note:
Here's the promised early update! It's a little bit shorter than usual, but since you guys are getting two updates this week, it's not really a problem, is it? xD

Yes, in case you're wondering, Viktorie is supposed to be me xD But not exactly me xD I'm not blue-eyed nor blond, but I don't speak Korean with a Russian-Engrish accent either xD I have no idea why Viktorie does, but who cares? Anyway, her character is not really important; I'll just use her whenever I feel like I wanna write accented English or throw in some random Czech phrases xD

Are you guys ready for the next update? Myungsoo will finally get closer to his dream of molesting poor Hobaby... Will he get through the day without getting arrested? Find out in "Reality Check" on April 5th!

Karma~

There's no new info in the link below for today, btw. It's there because I hardcoded it in my layout.