Chapter 9

Saranghae

Woohyun’s mom was driving and the two teens sat in the back seat, both looking outside. They were driving home from the party Woohyun’s aunt held every year.

 

Amber glanced towards Woohyun and took a deep breath.

“I have to get something from Ricky,” she said.

Woohyun turned to look at her, “And how does it concern me?”

“It’s late and dark and you know I don’t like walking alone in the dark.”

“You can get it from him tomorrow, when it’s bright outside.”

“We’re going past his house anyway…”

Woohyun looked at her with narrowed eyes and tilted his head a bit to the side.

“You sure you’re not hiding something?”

“Absolutely.”

Woohyun was still suspicious but unsurely said, “Fine…”

“I’ll drop you off at Ricky’s house then,” Woohyun’s mom smiled and looked at the two from the rearview mirror.

 

-----

 

Ricky let the last balloon out of his hands and it fell on the ground. Right then the person who was in charge of being on the lookout for the birthday boy yelled, “They’re coming! Hide!”

Ricky ran to the window. After confirming Amber and Woohyun were indeed coming, he panicky kicked some trash under the couch, adjusted some decorations and ran to his hiding place.

 

Now the house was dark and seemed empty. Everyone was hiding; behind the couch or the corner, in the closet…

 

-----

 

Woohyun approached the door first and frowned.

“Why’s the door open?” he mumbled and looked at Amber who just shrugged.

 

He carefully pushed the door open and once it was open enough so he could see inside, he was about to have heart attack.

 

One person was in charge of the lights and when he clicked them on, it was a sign for everyone. The guests jumped from their hiding places almost at the same time and yelled all together, “Surprise!” while Ricky threw some party decorations at Woohyun’s face.

 

Woohyun was so surprised – and shocked – by this that Amber had to grab him to prevent him from falling.

Woohyun regained his balance and just stared. He didn’t know should he be angry or happy.

 

Surprise party… I should have known, he thought to himself and glanced at Amber who was grinning widely at him.

 

“Surprise party, huh,” he said to Ricky.

Ricky smiled at him awkwardly. He knew Woohyun wasn’t too pleased, since he didn’t like surprises.

“Try to enjoy. You can’t be left without birthday party, right?” he grinned.

“He’s right!” Amber commented and pushed Woohyun so she could come inside and closed the door.

 

Some of the guests grabbed Woohyun and dragged him to the living room.

 

“Wow!” Ricky exclaimed when he could see Amber properly. “You look good today!”

“Don’t you start, too…” Amber sighed and kicked the heels off of her feet.

 

-----

 

The night was actually really entertaining, contrary to what Woohyun had thought. He had spent such an amazing time with his friends and completely forgot to look at the time.

It was rather late already – on Friday night – and his mom didn’t like it when her son was out late.

 

---

 

Woohyun and Amber walked home together since they were almost neighbors after all.

 

They turned the corner and could see their houses already, but Woohyun stopped walking.

Amber had walked ahead a bit before she realized Woohyun wasn’t next to her and turned around.

“What’s wrong?” she asked from Woohyun who looked like he had seen a ghost.

She followed Woohyun’s gaze and stared with her eyes wide open.

In front of Woohyun’s house was his uncle. And he did not look happy with baseball bat in his arms.

 

The uncle noticed the two now and started walking towards them. He yelled at Woohyun, “Who do you think you are to come home this late?! I’ve been waiting for hours!”

 

Amber’s heart was racing wild again. She stared first at the raging uncle and then turned towards Woohyun.

 

Woohyun’s pupils dilated suddenly and he pulled Amber towards her.

Amber had just avoided a hit from a baseball bat.

She didn’t have time to understand what happened because Woohyun pulled her by her arm again. Only this time she realized herself running.

 

It wasn’t easy with heels so she tried taking them off in the midst of running for her life. Running barefooted didn’t feel any better but at least it was easier.

 

She could only run this fast because Woohyun was pulling her. It was hard staying after him and the hard asphalt and little rocks drilling into her skin didn’t make it any better.

 

They crossed the road, without checking for any cars. There was no time for that. The uncle’s screams were too close.

 

Amber almost tripped when Woohyun fastened his pace.

 

That was when they heard car’s breaks screeching and a loud crash.

 

Woohyun stopped and Amber almost bumped into him.

 

Now they were both staring into nothingness, eyes wide open.

Amber wished that what she thought had happened was wrong. This could only occur in movies and TV shows, not in reality.

Shaking, she turned to look at Woohyun who did the same.

Please, please, please, Amber prayed in her mind.

 

After turning around they got the answer.

Amber quickly breathed in and threw her hands in front of to stop herself from screaming.

Woohyun couldn’t even breathe and Amber noticed his face turning red.

Amber caught him when he was about to faint. “Breathe!” she yelled.

 

The driver had come out of his car and was panicking. He tried explaining to Woohyun who had run closer, that it wasn’t his fault. The man had run in front of his car out of nowhere.

Woohyun didn’t hear what the driver said. He didn’t hear anything at the moment. He was too busy processing the sight in front of him; his uncle lying on the ground, lifeless, blood running down his head.

 

The driver said he’d call an ambulance and stepped a little further to talk.

 

Woohyun bent down next to the body and slowly extended his arm to check the pulse. Amber stood next to him shaking and holding in tears.

Woohyun turned to look at Amber.

“What?”

“He’s not dead,” Woohyun said quietly, as if he wasn’t quite sure himself what he was talking about.

“Huh?” Amber wiped away the tear that was on her cheek and then checked the pulse.

She turned to look at Woohyun in wonder. “He’s not dead,” she said the same way Woohyun did earlier.

The driver had come back and heard what Amber said as he questioned, “He’s not dead?”

 

---

 

The ambulance arrived rather quickly.

 

The uncle was taken to the hospital but the police wanted to hear Woohyun’s and Amber’s side of the story right away.

Woohyun honestly told them everything about how he and Amber ran away from the furious and drunken uncle. Of course, he didn’t tell them why he knew surely that his uncle would hurt them or why his uncle was in front of his house waiting for him, though he knew the reason for both.