1

Saranghae

Woo-hyun* = about the pronounciation. I'll try to explain how Finnish people pronounces the letters. W= same way as in English words, o= as (the bolded) in ''follower'' repeat it two times, h= same way as in English words, y= this is hard... but little bit like the last sound you make when saying ''ew'' or like (the bolded) in ''you'' just make it short, u= like in the word ''full", n= similarly as in English. Use this pronounciation examples when pronouncing the other ones too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘’The first time I got to go outside the house was when I learned how to walk. I only got outside the front door when the boy who lived next door came to play with me. Our parents were – and still are – really good friends. Ever since, we used to play together and at the end of the day our parents had hard time trying to separate us.

      He’s an only child and his whole family is South Korean origin. Woohyun has lived here his whole life, unlike his family. Woohyun’s mother has taught him Korean, and he has taught it to me a bit. Because of him, I can speak a bit Korean myself too.

    In junior high school I started noticing how good-looking Woohyun actually was. Every day, all the time both girls and boys surrounded Woohyun. Woohyun was – and is – really good in sports and excellent dancer! His positive and social and can befriend with anyone. These characteristics – including good looks – made everyone to like him. The only problem to everyone was his name, they didn’t really know how to pronounce it because it wasn’t Finnish name. Some tried to pronounce it the Finnish way “Woo-hyun”*, some ‘’woohun’’ or ‘’woohyn’’ and maybe ‘’wuuhun’’ or ‘’wuuhyn’’. Woohyun didn’t really care about it, he let everyone pronounce it the way they found it the easiest because it was obvious they meant him.

     Woohyun was always resolving problems. He didn’t want to cause harm or worry others so he kept his mouth shut. You couldn’t get him to tell you much anything – about his personal business or others’ – even if it was noticeable that he wasn’t okay. So he was excellent in keeping secrets.

      He never let girl’s flirting fool him. He rather kept them as his friends, took care of them and protected them. Woohyun could never say anything bad about girls and couldn’t hurt them – physically nor mentally. It was admirable. Of course because of this, some boys wanted to tease Woohyun and say he likes boys. Woohyun never said anything as an answer to this – no nor yes. Another thing that made girls like him more – mystery. Why would he even tell about his ual orientation to anyone? It wasn’t their business.

      All the adults liked him too. Woohyun was a real gentleman. He was always polite, helpful and active in helping others.

     Our class was always the nicest class in school. All thanks of it belong to Woohyun. For a while there was a student in our class who made a lot of ruckus. But he changed when Woohyun had a little chat with him. Even now, no one knows what happened between those two. After the incident there was a rumor going around saying Woohyun used violence, some suggested Woohyun had ually harassed him. The rumor quickly died down because no one had any evidence whatsoever. Woohyun wouldn’t say anything about the matter and the troublemaker kept his mouth shut as well.

    There was always a rumor going around about Woohyun. One time, people suspected him to be a girl. One reason was because he didn’t wash or change his clothes in front of other’s after P.E class. The rumor was proved wrong quickly when some people wanted to make sure of it. In P.E class one of the boys’ pulled Woohyun’s shirt off. Girls were admiring Woohyun’s nicely build body. He had amazing abs! But quickly everyone’s attention turned to the bruises on his body. Woohyun didn’t answer anyone where they had come from, instead he wore his shirt and continued doing whatever he was doing before. This only created more rumors, of course.

    I and Woohyun were always together and we were really close. Some people even thought we were dating. Every time I was feeling down, having a hard time, Woohyun was there to comfort me and make me feel better. He was overly protective towards me. If I got just a paper cut on my hand, he was worried I’d get some infection and die. It was sweet and nice of him to take care of me and I knew I had at least him to care about me.

       Woohyun knows me really well, sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself. He knows all the smallest things about me, what makes me good and what bad mood – he can read me like an open book. But I in the other hand feel like I don’t know him that well… Yes, I know a lot about him but he also keeps many things in secret from me. I rarely ask him anything about himself, I know how to tell when and what things he can tell me and what not. I’m only worried of one thing about Woohyun: his short temper. Normally nothing angers him but if someone hurts a girl, he won’t stay still. Sometimes I needed to stop him so he won’t cause trouble.

      I’ve always had Woohyun and was so used to it. But when he had to move to South Korea for a bit, I felt like the sky fell on him. I wasn’t used to be without him. Woohyun didn’t want to move there but he didn’t have a choice. His father got a job from there and his family needed to move. They weren’t there for long and even now I don’t know the exact reason why they returned. I only know that Woohyun’s father didn’t come with them but his uncle did.

    After they returned Woohyun wasn’t himself. Usually bright and positive Woohyun was gone. Couple of times I even had to save him. No, he didn’t try committing suicide but tried to hurt himself. No matter how stupid it sounds but it is true. He didn’t cut himself but got into fights and was always there when something happened. His mother was extremely worried about him and asked my help. Roles changed. Now it was me who needed to protect him and make him feel better. It took some time and I was nearly quitting many times. Woohyun was just too stubborn. It was almost impossible to help him when he just pushed everyone away and didn’t listen. In a short time however, he woke up like from a dream. What was needed was to make his protective side towards me come back. And how did that happen? We were almost hit by a car. We were coming home from school and going across the road when a car suddenly appeared behind the corner. Thanks to Woohyun’s fast reflexes, he pushed as both out of the way. The ‘’miraculous healing” was unbelievable and everyone had a hard time trying to digest it. When we told Woohyun how he used to be for those couple of months he couldn’t believe us. As if he was in a trance or something and didn’t remember much what he had done. I would really like to know what happened to make the sweet Woohyun like that but no one wanted to tell me.

    I can tell Woohyun anything and he knows almost everything about me. But doesn’t everyone have those things they can’t tell anyone? Every day I worry he’ll find out about my secret .I’m afraid if he finds out, can our friendship continue the same as it has been and is…’’