Chapter 11

Saranghae

The first thing Woohyun did when school started was to walk up to Suzy in hopes she could help him.

 

Suzy had both of her hands raised in front of her, palms up, as if she was displaying something on them. She extended her left arm closer to Woohyun.

“Busy hallway, you have to yell so she could hear what you’re saying and you’re in a hurry to class. Or…” She retracted her left hand and extended her right. “Beautiful spring day, sun’s shining, you’re in a park and surrounded by cherry blossom trees blooming, and it’s only you two and the whole day?”

Now she extended both of her hands. “Which one will you choose?”

Woohyun thought for a second – to answer or not to. “Cherry blossoms.”

“So you understand it’s important when and where you confess. The more original and romantic the way, the better she remembers it. And you’ve got a higher chance of getting the answer you’re looking for! Also, if she notices some effort in it, it seems more sincere; she’ll trust your words better. If you’re just joking, you wouldn’t put an effort into it, right?”

“Aah…” Woohyun nodded. I knew she’d be helpful.

 

------

 

Amber muttered something incoherent and turned around in her bed. She reached out her hand and fumbled to find the ringing phone.

“Who calls at this hour…?”

 

The sun was peeking in between the curtains, it had just risen.

 

“What?” she mumbled into the phone, still half-asleep. She scratched her head and yawned.

“You awake?” Woohyun chirped into the phone.

“No, I’m not. What’s so important…” She took the phone off of her ear to check the time and then put it back, “…at nine am on Saturday morning?”

“Oh… THEN GET UP!”

Amber sighed and crunched her face while mouthing curses. It’s weekend… I want to sleep… She rubbed her eyes. How is he even up already…?

“Get up NOW!” Woohyun commanded. “I’ll be there in ten minutes and you’ll better be up by then and open the door for me,” he said and hung up.

Amber complained some more. “Do I really have to…”

 

She lazed around in bed for a few more seconds before stopping. Her eyes dilated and she stared at the ceiling.

I better get up. Niel will kill me if he has to wake up.

 

She crawled out of bed, washed her face, brushed her teeth and hair. Then she continued with deciding on what to wear. She picked out greyish black hoodie and black jeans.

These will do.

 

She was ready just in time.

Woohyun rang the doorbell and when Amber got the door open, the first thing she said was, “Why did you wake me up? You’re planning something, aren’t you?”

“Wear something warm and we can go.”

“To where?”

“You’ll find out.”

Amber narrowed her eyes and pointed at the boy raising her left brow, suspecting something. Then she turned around to get her jacket. Since it was winter you needed to wear a lot more and warmer clothes so you wouldn’t freeze outside.

“It’s cold,” Amber complained the moment she stepped her foot out of the door. She pressed her scarf closer to her neck and buried half of her face into it.

Woohyun laughed. “You got out of the house like a second ago and you’re already complaining.”

Amber glared at him. “You shouldn’t have dragged me out, then. You know I don’t like cold.”

“Little cold only makes this morning better.” Woohyun smiled and ruffled Amber’s hair, earning another glare from the girl.

 

It had snowed some more last night so the ground was hidden under a white layer that squeaked when you stepped on it. The cold breeze hit against their skin and Amber hid her hands into her pockets while her cheeks were getting red.

 

Though the beautiful morning sun was shining from cloudless sky, it didn’t give any warmth. But it did make everything look brighter and prettier. It also reflected from the white snow so much it was hard to see anything without squinting your eyes, and then looking suspicious.

 

They walked a while before stopping in front of a huge snowbank. Woohyun climbed on top of it and beckoned Amber to do the same. She stared at him for a while in amaze before climbing next to him.

 

Sitting there, Amber remembered the time she was younger. It was the most awaited thing about winter to climb on a snowbank. Then play there with friends; playing house, slide down, jump down to hide when cars went by…

The thought brought good memories. It made you want to go back to the days you didn’t stress or worry about anything; when everything was still great…

Amber smiled at the thought while enjoying the view and not regretting getting up from the warm bed this morning.

Woohyun noticed the smile on Amber’s face and smiled himself, too. There was love noticeable in his eyes as he stared at his friend.

 

“My ’s freezing,” Amber broke the moment and tried getting down.

It wasn’t as easy as she thought and her leg sank into the snow, making her fall and partly rolling down.

Woohyun hurried to help her up. “Are you okay?” he asked, pure concern evitable in his voice.

“Yeah,” Amber laughed and brushed the snow off of her clothes.

“Good,” Woohyun sighed in relief and walked away.

“Where are you going?” Amber questioned and ran up to him.

“Just walking,” he answered after a while.

It isn’t a bad idea to enjoy the fresh air for a little while longer, Amber thought and continued following him.

 

Their walk ended at Woohyun’s house.

 

Amber sat in the living room trying to warm up her fingers whilst Woohyun worked in the kitchen.

He came out with two hot chocolates in his hands and Amber grabbed one of them.

“Ah, so warm,” she breathed out and warmed her hands with the hot mug.

Woohyun admired her for a bit again before sipping his drink.